Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
I really like the wireless, uncluttered design and slimness of the new 27", which I'll be ordering soon...

Question: Rather than use the USB connections on the rear of the machine, I'm looking for a wireless solution, either USB1 or USB2; (most appear to only support older versions of Windows, I'm looking for a Mac solution). I realise that I could easily connect a wired hub, but if possible, would prefer wireless.

TIA

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I really like the wireless, uncluttered design and slimness of the new 27", which I'll be ordering soon...

Question: Rather than use the USB connections on the rear of the machine, I'm looking for a wireless solution, either USB1 or USB2; (most appear to only support older versions of Windows, I'm looking for a Mac solution). I realise that I could easily connect a wired hub, but if possible, would prefer wireless.

TIA

So you would rather spend a boat load of money and throw away the stability of a wired USB setup just so you could have an "uncluttered design"? Why don't you just route the USB cable out the back of the iMac, zip tie it to the power cord, and mount the hub under the desk? It would be virtually unnoticeable? How are you planning to get away with "hiding" the cables into the hub?

MegaSignal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
So you would rather spend a boat load of money and throw away the stability of a wired USB setup just so you could have an "uncluttered design"? Why don't you just route the USB cable out the back of the iMac, zip tie it to the power cord, and mount the hub under the desk? It would be virtually unnoticeable? How are you planning to get away with "hiding" the cables into the hub?

It would appear that I'm complicating the issue here. You make a good point. After all, it is still a 'desktop'. Either way, I'm looking forward to my new iMac!

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
It would appear that I'm complicating the issue here. You make a good point. After all, it is still a 'desktop'. Either way, I'm looking forward to my new iMac!

I agree, I loved the uncluttered-ness (is that a real word?) of my iMac. What I found out though pretty quickly though is that I wanted wired ethernet, an external hard drive, an external blu-ray drive (to rip blu-rays), iPod/iPhone sync cable, speakers, etc. etc. and pretty soon it was cluttered. I got creative with long USB cables, routing them out the back under the desk into a fairly hidden cabinet. Made accessing some things a little more difficult (i.e. the blu-ray drive), but it was less cluttered.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.