Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pontusn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Hi
So i got my new 27 inch imac yesterday. its a i5, 1TB Fusion, 680mx.
Now i want to install windows on bootcamp. but how.

with windows on usb? If so then how???

or

Using the internal dvddrive of my macbookpro?

You have any tips!

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
What I did was break the fusion drive, partition 20GB off of the SSD and 300GB off the HDD, then remake the fusion drive with remaining 100gb SSD.

Ran bootcamp assistant and used the windows 8 ISO, it made my bootable USB key. Then I installed Win 8 through EFI rather than bootcamp.

Everything works perfect, and boot/OS response time is perfect in both :)

pontusn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
What I did was break the fusion drive, partition 20GB off of the SSD and 300GB off the HDD, then remake the fusion drive with remaining 100gb SSD.

Ran bootcamp assistant and used the windows 8 ISO, it made my bootable USB key. Then I installed Win 8 through EFI rather than bootcamp.

ok thanks.
yeah i dont think i wanna get in to the separation of fusiondrive thingy but sounds awesome.
I just need windows to play a few games like twice a month so i will be happy with just keeping that on the 7200 drive.

However, Kan i just put a usb stick in the imac and make it bootable. and then put windows 7 on it also from the imac and install as usual?

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007

Hi Fynd,

Which process did you use to break the fusion (2 CMD or 1). Secondly did you use terminal cmds to create partitions or the disk util?

Thx

bizango

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2012
california
I just bootcamped my new 27" late last night. Didn't go nearly as smooth as with the old 2008 imac with an optical drive, but seems to have worked. Here's (roughly) what I did...

1. Printed out the bootcamp instructions - very important!

2. I had a disk of Win7 Home & an external optical drive. I used Disk Utility to make a .cdr file of it on my desktop (many instructions online about how to do this) and then manually renamed it .iso. The file had a long, strange name.

3. reformatted a 4gb thumb drive to MS-DOS(FAT) via Disk Utility

4. opened Bootcamp Assistant. It gave 3 check box options. I tried to do all at once on a 4gb thumb, but it was rejected as too small. So I did each option separately:

5. first: made a bootable disk with the .iso & the reformatted 4gb thumb (it just fit...the .iso file was just under 4gb)

6. second: downloaded the windows support software. I did this on my desktop, then copied it to a second 4gb thumb that was also reformatted as MS-DOS(FAT). The download took FOREVER though it was only three-hundred-something mb.

7. third: installed Win7 & decided on a partition size, etc. This is where I needed the printed instructions as there were a few greek-to-me selections I had to make & without the instructions I wouldn't have known what to do. Easy to screw up here.

Lots of restarts later (by the computer, not me) and Win7 went from looking like minecraft to a beautiful functioning OS. YAY! Well, ok, maybe I'll reserve the beautiful adjective for OS X.

Wow. That was a long post. Sorry. Hope it helps. :)

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia

Do you have the 1TB fusion? if so you didn't need to break the fusion link. Im not exactly sure why you did what you did?

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
Do you have the 1TB fusion? if so you didn't need to break the fusion link. Im not exactly sure why you did what you did?

AFAIK, using bootcamp as-is will simply install Windows on the HDD. Fusion doesn't work with Windows. I wanted to install Windows to the SSD.

hacke

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011

You're my hero.. would like to do the same! Is there a manual for doing this?

Thanks in advance!

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Thansk but no i dont have access to a pc! Cant it all be done with just the imac!

Yes. The Bootcamp Assistant (Applications > Utilities) will do that for you.

It will partition your internal drive (you can choose how much) and also download the drivers you need for Windows.

It will also make a bootable USB stick from a Windows iso image or (I believe) from a Windows DVD installer - you can use drive sharing from your MBP to share the installer DVD and the Bootcamp assistant will use it to make the bootable USB.

Then it will reboot and install.

The drivers for Windows will be on the USB stick and you'll have to install these manually, but it's a single package that installs Apple's software updater and all the necessary drivers in one go - sound, graphics etc.

You might want to have a USB mouse handy, since the magic trackpad (if you have that) seems to be the only thing that does not work, and it definitely doesn't work during the windows installer process, although the keyboard does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.