Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

selva

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
Does the China effect on iOS6 adoption explosion mean that the "channel check" concerns by some analysts are way off the mark? Unlike these analysts' concerns AAPL may not miss numbers this q but may actually blow them away. Some of these same analysts were way off the mark before as well.

Masterkona

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2012
Unless I'm mistaken, couldn't this mean that Apple sold way more iPads in china then anyone has estimated? If this 26% jump in IOS activations is due to China, exactly how many IOS 6 devices were activated in China? Is it possible that 7-10milion IPads were sold that weekend in China?

Furthermore, the 10million figure quoted by Google is actually quite small. Assuming there are about 300-350million (IPhone 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 altogether) that implies that less than 3-5% of IPhone users opted to download Google Maps during its first weekend. I'm not impressed!!

This is a win for Apple. Those who want to complain about Apple maps now have "another" choice. They've had other choices since day 1. Seems Google is going to have a problem on its hands.

Last edited:

WatchTheThrone

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
Wait until ios6 has an untethered jailbreak and watch the numbers go WAY up!!!! Lol iOS is boring without a jailbreak which is sad to say cuz the hardware is really good

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I only use apple maps for two reasons: siri integration and the ability to sleep the phone when driving, and have it wake up when I need to pay attention to it.

If waze of navigon did that, I would switch. that being said, Apple maps has been pretty god for me.

----------

It would be nice if Macrumors had a Jailbreak news/Info tab at the top of the page

I'm not big on jailbreaking (because the average user is too stupid to safely use an open anything) but you have a point. The jailbreaking community is large and yet we don't have a JB news tab.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Ad network and analytics firm Chitika claims it has seen no significant increase in iOS 6 adoption in the U.S. and Canada. A company analyst believes the MoPub data (which was international, rather than domestic) we wrote about earlier today was affected by the recent launch of the iPhone 5 in China, rather than the release of Google Maps.

This past weekend, Apple issued a press release bragging that it had sold more than two million iPhone 5 units in China over the first three days of availability.

In the chart above -- which only looks at data from the U.S. and Canada, rather than the international data that MoPub examined -- the iOS 6 adoption slope following the release of Google Maps for iOS remains practically unchanged from before the release, suggesting that suggesting a sea change in iOS 6 adoption rates resulting from Google Maps release is inaccurate.

Chitika Data Solutions Engineer Gabe Donnini:
On Monday, Google reported that Google Maps for iOS had been downloaded more than 10 million times.

Article Link: iOS 6 Adoption Uptick Due to iPhone 5 Release in China, Not Google Maps?

Who cares? Is the average apple fab so deranged he cant stand nothing of any other company?

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
Actually, it also works the other way too. Just because Apple maps is bad for you, don't assume everyone else is having problems. The truth is that many people aren't having problems with Apple maps and like Apple maps.

I don't understand your logic. If there are issues with the map, then there are issues. It's not a subjective thing. There has been many destinations, point of interests, cities where users have identified issues. If you travel to these places and look for yourself then you'll 100% experience the same issue because it's inherent to the map app itself. Just because the places you visit THUS FAR isn't on that list, doesn't mean the issues aren't real.

It's like saying wifi reception doesn't work anywhere but your bedroom. Everyone in the house complains that there's an issue but because you never venture out of your bedroom, so you decide that there aren't really "issues". The truth is that once you step out of your room you'll have issues too.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Using your own logic, just because YOU have an issue doesn't mean there is an issue for everyone else. In some places, Google Maps is terrible too. In others, it's awesome. Same with Apple Maps. Everyone seems to forget that a few years ago (or more I forget...) some people using GPS devices drove into oceans and off cliffs and other sorts of sticky situations. These GPS devices uses the same map data provider as Google and Apple does. In some cases, the same data points and locations databases. Google Maps is more extensive yes but that doesn't Apple Maps universally terrible.

I personally use Apple Maps. I have friends who live outside the US and they have used both Google and Apple maps on Android and iDevices. They have told me it's roughly the same and both have "issues" in certain areas. As a whole, they all seem to think that Apple has the better UI. None of my friends are "techies".

Bless that you can put such a positive spin on it. Though let's look at the facts, Tim had to officially apologise. Let's not bs each other, had apple maps not been a disaster outside of the states Tim would not have done it. Tim was not apologises cause it had "issues" Tim was apologising cause it was darn right awful in some countries.

I have both a S3 and iPhone 5 in London . Comparing the two, apple maps is crap.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Here is my experience;

Used the google maps and iOS maps side by side on an andorid and iphone to go to a Verizon store. Google maps was 1.5miles longer and wanted us to do a U turn on a non-U turn spot.

A friend of my was trying to show where her house was in Argentina. Her house was on a river according to Google maps.

Iphone maps had, several restaurants we went to, close by but not at the same location as it supposed to be.

Lastly, apple store location on google maps comes up as a panda express. I thought that was funny.

I think approaching to Google maps like it is the god of maps is kind of silly. I would like to compare them 5 years from now. That would be fair.

At the end of the day, there are 2 options iphone owners can use now.

Verizon got that treatment before the iPhone was available on it as if it was some miracle company. Now it seems to be even as far as negative/positive between AT&T and Verizon on here.

It's backup quarterback syndrome. If Google had a perfect mapping system, it wouldn't be given away.

Jodles

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
This discussion is so pointless. Use whatever you want to use and be done with it!

I use Google maps because I rely on transit data and street view. And I couldn't care less about turn by turn navigation. That doesn't make Google maps better or worse than Apple maps; it just makes it better for my use.

Heb 7:4

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2011
Google maps wasn't that important :confused: it seems an exaggeration to me that anyone could hold off just based on that. If it was deadly vital you could just go to the mobile site.

I have had zero issues with Apple Maps anyway, I downloaded the new Google Maps but its in a folder for emergencies with other apps like Waze. I was in London a few days ago and decided to give Google Maps a spin when I got lost, and it was giving me confusing directions. Switched to Apple Maps and it was much clearer. How is that for irony?

I live in London. Apple maps is utter *****. The web version of google maps was also awful. I live in a household where four users waited until the new google maps app (which is excellent) before upgrading to iOS6.

I appreciate it may work well in the US, but it is difficult to express quite how badly apple maps hurt apple's reputation in the UK.

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Seems obvious. As if hundreds of thousands of people weren't buying just because it didn't come with Google Maps, and then immediately rushed to the shops the day it was released.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I know of 2 people including CmdrThor and wife that delayed updating to iOS 6 due to the maps "issue".

Another personally one... my parents updated their iPad (even though it's not out for that yet), and 2 iPods because of Google Maps. Some friends on Twitter recently upgraded for Google Maps too.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
IOS 6 Adoption rate for IPad 1 0%
IOS 7 Adoption rate for IPad 2 0%

OK I guess we will have to see what Apple does but if the trend continues I will have to rethink my next purchase. Just still doesn't seem fair to allow 3GS to get IOS 6 and not iPad 1.

The iPad 1 has pretty much the same internals as the 3GS but attempting to push FIVE TIMES the number of pixels. Because the 3GS has such a small non-retina resolution (320x480), it has performed well for an unusually long time.

So it makes absolute sense that the 3GS is able to support recent releases longer than the iPad 1.

Last edited:

mattspeed3

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2009
Well, I upgraded the moment news of the Google Maps app hit the front page of Reddit, and had been holding off on account of Apple's inferior offering.

selva

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2011
I am not sure about rest of world but in N America many Apple users can afford Cars with large built in NAV in their DELUXE package editions. This is probably why Chitika found barely a tiny blip up in iOS6 adoption in N America following Google Maps release for the platform. This issue (at least for N Americans) is BOGUS and nothing but a media built hype. Who cares if Mr. Cook apologized? Google had years to perfect their data. Apple trusted Tom Tom and messed up. They will need at least half the amount of time it took for Google to get it done better it seems. But to N Americans Chitika is showing this matters DIDLY SQUAT as it did for me. My Sienna Deluxe package renders ANY smartphone map useless to me as it apparently did for countless other N Americans according to Chitika data.

kkurtev

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2009
That makes sence

Well if you read BGR and their anti-apple everything (especially the articles of that moron Zach Epstein) the reason will be: because Google is great and Apple sucks, anyhow that article explains the real reason why iOS 6 adoption rate jumped up.

roasted

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2011
Why would Google Maps drive adoption iOS 6 adoption? It's a cluttered mess of a GUI on Android. They might have better map data than Apple but it's about damn time I, the end user, start seeing it instead of just reading about it. Show, not tell. Apple Maps has a far superior and easier to use GUI and has a significantly larger locations database than Google. Although it falls short in some areas, no GPS system is "perfect". Let's not forget that some people drove into oceans and off cliffs using the same map data provider that Google (and Apple) uses.

lol. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Yes, I totally can have confidence in your 1% number that you've pulled completely out of your nether regions and shown off to all of us with absolutely nothing to back it up but your own fanboi delusions. Bravo.

Having used iOS 6 maps to navigate more than 4000 mile in North America, I would be surprised if the 1% number is to far off.

So no, it is based on actual use and experience.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
China AND Google Maps

I'm as big a fan of Apple as anyone, but their Maps are a disaster. I bought an iPhone 5 and love it, but I gave the maps a fair shake and then had to stop using them. I've moved from San Francisco to London, UK and then travelled back to Toronto for Christmas. I'll be in Ottawa in a few days so I'll see about that... not a bad cross section. So far, Google maps have outperformed Apple Maps in every single situation.

Apple's maps don't have transit (which is a huge deal for millions of people living in large cities around the world) and for everyone else, there are melting roads and bridges. I tried some 3rd party apps and nothing came close to Google. It was a huge downgrade. My wife has held off updating her iPhone 4S to iOS 6 (so add her to the numbers) and I've warned several other iOS 5 users to wait for Google to come in and save the day.

I'm a loyal fan of Apple's products, but I believe a LOT of the uptick in iOS 6 was people waiting and they REALLY need to spend money on becoming capable in services. I don't think Apple will ever catch up to Google in this respect, but I'm not sure they have to... maybe they just have to become good enough for most people to get around. They are currently nowhere close.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
I know of 2 people including CmdrThor and wife that delayed updating to iOS 6 due to the maps "issue".

Your post is very funny for what it does not say!

Same goes for me, by the way...

----------

Why did you put the word 'issue' in quotes like there isn't actually a problem with Apple Maps?

Many folks do not have issues with apple maps. Therefore, for some of us, those are 'issues'.

----------

I'm as big a fan of Apple as anyone, but their Maps are a disaster.

You meant to say:

...a disaster for me...

...cuz for some, apple maps is a solution, even if you now use google maps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.