Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:16 PM   #1
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Safari used 100% CPU

I just noticed that when I zoom in or zoom out on a google map Activity Monitor indicates over 100% CPU usage for a considerable amount of time. Even zooming back to a previous level it still does this.

Puzzled I tried the same thing in Firefox which used about 20-30% CPU usage and did so for a considerably shorter period of time.

FF is quicker zooming too.

this is on a core i7 sandy bridge imac with 32GB ram. 10.8.2

What's up with this behaviour?
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 11:19 PM   #2
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
I just noticed that when I zoom in or zoom out on a google map Activity Monitor indicates over 100% CPU usage for a considerable amount of time. Even zooming back to a previous level it still does this.

Puzzled I tried the same thing in Firefox which used about 20-30% CPU usage and did so for a considerably shorter period of time.

FF is quicker zooming too.

this is on a core i7 sandy bridge imac with 32GB ram. 10.8.2

What's up with this behaviour?
Try this:
Make a new User in User and groups, then login to the new account and see if it is the same there, if it's better there then you have issues with your normal User Account.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:39 AM   #3
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Ok that was a good idea. I already have a spare admin account that I use for testing as I keep my user account as non admin.

Seemed to be better in the other account. Went back to my current account and it still seemed a bit funky but not as bad. I turned off all the extensions and it was better, I turned them all back on and it stayed better. So that is a bit of a confusing result.

Right now it's about the same as FF, except Safari mainly shows the cpu usage in the safari web content rather than the app, as in FF.

So I'm not sure why turning the extensions off then on would make any difference.

What sort of things could cause this in a user account because there's been a bit of strange behaviou for example if I try to log into my bank account it just stays on the connecting page, meanwhile I can log in in FF. It has only just been doing this.
inscrewtable is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:54 AM   #4
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inscrewtable View Post
Ok that was a good idea. I already have a spare admin account that I use for testing as I keep my user account as non admin.

Seemed to be better in the other account. Went back to my current account and it still seemed a bit funky but not as bad. I turned off all the extensions and it was better, I turned them all back on and it stayed better. So that is a bit of a confusing result.

Right now it's about the same as FF, except Safari mainly shows the cpu usage in the safari web content rather than the app, as in FF.

So I'm not sure why turning the extensions off then on would make any difference.

What sort of things could cause this in a user account because there's been a bit of strange behaviou for example if I try to log into my bank account it just stays on the connecting page, meanwhile I can log in in FF. It has only just been doing this.
Are all of your extensions up to date?

I am not a fan of extensions but I am on an old Powerbook, if I turn on Extensions Safari becomes sloooowwwww.

There are other things you can do although I don't think it will make a difference, like resetting Safari but then you can/will loose settings.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store