Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Every single Apple product with a fan since the beginning of time has its fan/s on 100% of the time. Every single one. They're very quiet when the system is idling, but they are running.

i seeeee my macbook air sounds dead quiet .. no fan sound,
my old mbp also was silent, the imac fan is noticeable ...

but its my first imac so just wondered

cheers

Lankyman

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2011
U.K.
What no one seems to have considered is that the OP may just be very sensitive to electrical /HD noise at a set frequency - some people are, it's a combination of acute hearing and frequency sensitivity. If so then no matter how many replacements Apple sends the result will always be the same.

Speaking personally my 2011 iMac is so quiet it's scary. It's no different to visual issues e.g. some people cannot see 3D whilst some people can see banding on computer monitors whilst others see the same monitors as perfectly normal.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
Can the OP record the sound and upload so we all can hear it, then figure out if it's unusually high or if it's relatively loud to OP only due to sensitivity to noice.

sjz88

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2012
1tb fusion

also is the imac fan supposed to be on all the time ? i dont mind it but
not really used to fan coming on a mac unless im doing so hd video work ..

the iMac fans are on when just idle , or safari only is on ...

happy xmas !

Your not the only one who wonders about the fan but I don't mind it either. It's really not that loud and maybe they'll fix it with a firmware update some time in the future. Just make sure you report this "problem" to apple ;)

aerobyravol

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Switzerland
I won't have access to my iMac till next week. I'll be sure to post if I do have the problem.

Well - I just got mine (writing on it after a few installs).
It's working just PERFECTLY well!
No noise! No dead pixel! No physical damage!

I'm just as happy as I could be!

Hope the best for all of you too! :D

Happy :apple: !

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Well - I just got mine (writing on it after a few installs).
It's working just PERFECTLY well!
No noise! No dead pixel! No physical damage!

I'm just as happy as I could be!

Hope the best for all of you too! :D

Happy :apple: !

sounds like you got a good one :) do you have a fusion drive ? if so how are you finding it ?

ho ho ho

----------

Your not the only one who wonders about the fan but I don't mind it either. It's really not that loud and maybe they'll fix it with a firmware update some time in the future. Just make sure you report this "problem" to apple ;)

yeah, not too worried about the fan noise .. was just wondering if it should be on all the time ...

gonna try another iMac though theyre in short supply and wont get to me for xmas
lol

aerobyravol

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Switzerland
sounds like you got a good one :) do you have a fusion drive ? if so how are you finding it ?

ho ho ho

Yes, I have 3T Fusion Drive.
So far, it's still quite empty (had to leave for work and had not time to transfer all data). But it boots really fast! Amazing!

And one thing I'm really impressed: at a first glance, this 27" beast looked a bit too large... But after only a few minutes of playing with, I was already loving it. And when I went back to my 2008 20" iMac... it all of a sudden looked like a... dwarf! :D

stockseer

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2012
Florida
27" new iMac absolutely perfect

Hi... after 3 drives on my 27" (1 failing Seagate; the 're-call' Seagate, and the very quiet Hitachi they replaced it with); I now find the new 'thin' iMac on the surface not seeming that much different, but in-use it truly is notably better.

There is NO clicking; in fact; after hours of migrating data/app's and thus on all night; I was surprised that it was almost COOL to the touch; versus the old late 2009 I-7 typically running around 130-140 degrees. And ZERO sound of fans or anything (all of which was audible, my ears are fine, in the prior one).

I post this (first post here ever) simply because if you're experiencing all of that it's not normal.... as my 27 (I-7 3.4; 1 TB fusion drive; 680 N'Vidia and 24 gigs DRAM, having added 16 Crucial and retaining the 8 that are standard, which by the way makes a good deal for memory) .. my 27 is quiet & cool.

Now the only decision is whether to use my HD Asus 27" second monitor (it works fine with MDP to HDMI); or use the old iMac as the second display.

Oh; I use Parrallels 8 with Windows 8; and all works fine; aside the VM shows 102% cpu use; though aside iStats I don't see anything like that even with dozens of market charts running real time & many multiple tabs open.

All in all the new iMac (at 10 lb. lighter) is actually quite improved I think.

cheers!

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Hi... after 3 drives on my 27" (1 failing Seagate; the 're-call' Seagate, and the very quiet Hitachi they replaced it with); I now find the new 'thin' iMac on the surface not seeming that much different, but in-use it truly is notably better.

There is NO clicking; in fact; after hours of migrating data/app's and thus on all night; I was surprised that it was almost COOL to the touch; versus the old late 2009 I-7 typically running around 130-140 degrees. And ZERO sound of fans or anything (all of which was audible, my ears are fine, in the prior one).

I post this (first post here ever) simply because if you're experiencing all of that it's not normal.... as my 27 (I-7 3.4; 1 TB fusion drive; 680 N'Vidia and 24 gigs DRAM, having added 16 Crucial and retaining the 8 that are standard, which by the way makes a good deal for memory) .. my 27 is quiet & cool.

Now the only decision is whether to use my HD Asus 27" second monitor (it works fine with MDP to HDMI); or use the old iMac as the second display.

Oh; I use Parrallels 8 with Windows 8; and all works fine; aside the VM shows 102% cpu use; though aside iStats I don't see anything like that even with dozens of market charts running real time & many multiple tabs open.

All in all the new iMac (at 10 lb. lighter) is actually quite improved I think.

cheers!

cool

im gonna give apple a call and replace it, i thought it was the hd, but it could be the chip making the noise, anyway .. ill try another and hope its quiet,

the screen is really colourful,

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008

Attachments

• imac noise.mp3.zip
    1 MB · Views: 174

swee5420

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
Its that freaking Seagate HDD sound!!! I recognise that sound, it was on my iMac before, and i had them switch the HDD, and finally they gave me a very quiet Hitachi HDD.

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Its that freaking Seagate HDD sound!!! I recognise that sound, it was on my iMac before, and i had them switch the HDD, and finally they gave me a very quiet Hitachi HDD.

yeah, some on here said it might be the cpu noise, but i cant find any iMacs on the net complaining of this, does sound like hd chatter but its constant and i havent put anything on the imac yet so i dont know why the hd is being accesed all the time .. surely it should just be the fusion ssd part being used and the hd part span down???

im gonna get a replacement but i kinda think i may get the same sound , my room is quiet and i didnt want to go back to hd sound when my macbook air is ssd quiet ...

2bcool2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
That is 100% a faulty HDD, get it exchanged, your next one will be fine.

cheers hope your right ...

i did notice though that when it boots up when the apple appears theres a high pitch beep .... not a computer one..but like a sonic one ..

you think that could be the hd too? ...

anyway cheers, ill try another one .. if its noisey maybe i can un fuse them ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.