Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:39 AM   #1
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

Marketing ideas to reach customers

Hi,

This is new to me and its going to be a part of my new job, I was wondering what stategies can I present so that we can reach out to our cuomers.

Righ now we do have a medium base of customers, but how can we expand that, become more visible. Th eindustry is helathcare and business is research on health devices.

We do have fB and twitter and blog page, but need to reach out to more in the helathcare field.

Can anyone share some ideas?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:32 AM   #2
jsgreen
macrumors 6502

This question is kind of like "how long is a piece of string?"

For starters, you need to first understand your current customer base, figure out which of them are driving the majority of revenue (80/20 rule might apply, where 80% of your revenues come from 20% of your customers). Then figure out from the revenue-driving group if there are characteristics which will help you connect with them (age ranges, income, geography, how did they find your company (through what communication channel), how do they want to be communicated with...). After you learn all that you should have some direction on what marketing would work...it all starts with understanding your customers.
jsgreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:39 AM   #3
i-sidd
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
This question is kind of like "how long is a piece of string?"

For starters, you need to first understand your current customer base, figure out which of them are driving the majority of revenue (80/20 rule might apply, where 80% of your revenues come from 20% of your customers). Then figure out from the revenue-driving group if there are characteristics which will help you connect with them (age ranges, income, geography, how did they find your company (through what communication channel), how do they want to be communicated with...). After you learn all that you should have some direction on what marketing would work...it all starts with understanding your customers.
I understand what you are saying, however I was hoping to give our marketing team some ideas so that we can generate awareness.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:44 AM   #4
fig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-sidd View Post
I understand what you are saying, however I was hoping to give our marketing team some ideas so that we can generate awareness.
Understandable, but we also don't have much to go on.

What sort of marketing do you currently do? Do you have a very tech savvy/social media aware client base? Is your business very referral based? What promotions have you done in the past that were the most successful? Etc.

Without having any idea of the audience, past strategies, successes, and failures it's hard to be able to give much direction.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:23 AM   #5
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Hi,

This is new to me and its going to be a part of my new job, I was wondering what stategies can I present so that we can reach out to our cuomers.

Righ now we do have a medium base of customers, but how can we expand that, become more visible. Th eindustry is helathcare and business is research on health devices.

We do have fB and twitter and blog page, but need to reach out to more in the helathcare field.

Sorry, but I don't think this is the place to start getting ideas from. I am Board member of a an arts non-profit group. We are in a completely different field, of course, but we had exactly the same questions ... how do we reach out to our customers, become more visible, etc etc.

After looking at all the option, and despite being an arts non-profit organization with no money - we coughed up the cash to hire a consultant. It took nearly a year to figure out the questions, to identify who to contact, how to contact them. There was constant communication between the consultant and the Board to make sure that we were asking what we needed to ask. The actual survey and then crunching the numbers took only a couple of months, at most.

There are still gaps ... and we will likely do a 2nd round in this process. But it was money very well spent.... despite putting a hole in our year-end financial statements.

Get a professional to help with this. It will take time to do it right.

Last edited by snberk103; Dec 24, 2012 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Unintended humour or insult... I don't know which... :-)
snberk103 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
Get professional help.
Off topic: I laughed quit hard on reading that. I know that it wasn't intended in the spirit in which I read it.
Laird Knox is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:28 PM   #7
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
Off topic: I laughed quit hard on reading that. I know that it wasn't intended in the spirit in which I read it.
oooops... I've, uh, changed that. I don't know that it needed fixing... but maybe some clarification...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by snberk103 View Post
oooops... I've, uh, changed that. I don't know that it needed fixing... but maybe some clarification...
Nah, it was just fine and wasn't insulting or mean. Read in context it made sense. It just happened to make me snicker.

Overall I would say your post was excellent and gave some good insight into the original question.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:13 PM   #9
snberk103
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Knox View Post
Nah, it was just fine and wasn't insulting or mean. Read in context it made sense. It just happened to make me snicker.

Overall I would say your post was excellent and gave some good insight into the original question.
Thanks.

Problem was, once I read it the alternative way I couldn't see it the first way. So, I guess I did it for myself.

Merry Holidays!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
7DSniper
macrumors regular

Quote:
Hi,

I would start with spell check
7DSniper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics