Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:05 AM   #1
MacMiniBuyer
macrumors newbie

Mac Mini vs IMac confusion..First Time Mac Buyer

Hi

I am considering buying the Mac Mini(Late 2012) or the 21" IMac (Late 2012). Ive never used an Apple PC or Laptop (couldnt afford one...) , though I own an Ipad 2 and a few Ipods.

My Computer Usage :
  • Most of computer usage involves Movies, Music , Web Browsing and Torrenting. I love movies and have over 700 movies(some SD, most HD) on my drive. Listen to a lot of music online(Spotify). But I mostly use my computer for WEB BROWSING and MOVIES
  • I do not use my computer for gaming( I have a PS3) so I dont need the Mac Mini for gaming
  • My sister is getting into photography so she might want to use Photoshop at a basic level in the future
  • I do not use any music or video softwares .

My Choices :

Mac Mini : 2.6 GHz Quad-Core i7 + 16 GB RAM + Fusion or SSD + Wireless Keyboard + Mouse
IMac 21.5" basic : Without any upgrades

Also have a few basic questions :

1) I have a 32" Samsung LCD TV (1920 x 1080) which I plan to connect to the Mini. Ive mentioned that I have a lotta HD movies and probably gonna watch them off the Mini.
The tech specs are here :

http://www.samsung.com/in/support/mo...RMXL-techspecs

Is this TV alright for the Mini? Will i get a better video experience on the iMac(Late 2012)?

2) What is the difference between a SATA, Fusion and SSD drives? Im terrified of Hard drive failure.A lot of stuff I watch is difficult and time consuming to get so will getting one of these drives safeguard me against this?Is it worth upgrading to Fusion or SSD?

3) Ive had a Sony Vaio running Windows 7 for about a year and a half and my configs already seem ancient. I would love to have a Mini for a atleast 3-4 years so I plan to upgrade RAM to 16 GB.

Should I buy it with upgraded RAM or buy RAM later? Is fixing additional RAM in the system difficult?

4) I keep my computer on for many days and have noticed that my Sony Vaoi gets heated very often and cant run without a cooling pad.

Are these issues prevalent in Macs?

5) Has anyone here moved from Windows to Mac? What's missing if anything?

6) I live in India and planning to buy my Mac Mini in Thailand because its cheaper. International warranty?

I dont have a good sound system connected to my desktop. I dont think im going to require a DVD drive for any reason. The IMac does have all of this but with all the upgrades make it a very expensive option

So finally IMac (late 2012) basic vs Mac Mini.

Im apologize if my questions are basic .

Thanks for any help !!

Last edited by MacMiniBuyer; Dec 21, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
MacMiniBuyer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini