Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:19 PM   #1
strausd
macrumors 68030

Nexus 4 Not Recognizing Touch Input (VIDEO)

So I got some bad news

There is an area on my Nexus 4 that receives no touch input. Either that, or it is extremely inconsistent. This is the section right about where the bottom row of icons are located, directly above the on-screen navigation buttons.

I tried installing this "fix" for touch sensitivity, but it did not fix the specific problem I am having. And I noticed this problem before I tried that fix, so it was not a result of that.

I am about to try a full system reset to see if that helps. Hopefully it will. I will post back if it does.

If I have to send it back to Google, what process would I need to go through to make sure they don't know I rooted? Just unroot? Or would I also have to lock the bootloader as well? And would a full system reset do all of that? Or do I need to go back and use the toolkit from XDA?

Here is a video I just shot showing the problem:

EDIT: And unfortunately a full reset just made it worse

Last edited by strausd; Dec 7, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:25 PM   #2
3bs
macrumors 603

That sucks sorry to hear that. I got paranoid and just checked mine and I don't have any issues (at least not in that area which I just checked).

I've never sent back a phone so I'm not entirely sure what the policy is but I think you'll have to lock the bootloader as well. You should do that anyway since it wipes the phone which you wanna do if you'll be giving it away. You'll have to download the stock google stock image and install that.

I am not 100% sure so ask/look around.

Edit: this xda thread looks like what you're looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010312
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
That sucks sorry to hear that. I got paranoid and just checked mine and I don't have any issues (at least not in that area which I just checked).

I've never sent back a phone so I'm not entirely sure what the policy is but I think you'll have to lock the bootloader as well. You should do that anyway since it wipes the phone which you wanna do if you'll be giving it away. You'll have to download the stock google stock image and install that.

I am not 100% sure so ask/look around.

Edit: this xda thread looks like what you're looking for http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2010312
I do have a complete backup from before I installed that "fix." Do you know if I would be able to just restore to that and then unroot and lock the bootloader again? I am also posting this on XDA to see if anyone there can offer any advice.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:29 PM   #4
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
I do have a complete backup from before I installed that "fix." Do you know if I would be able to just restore to that and then unroot and lock the bootloader again? I am also posting this on XDA to see if anyone there can offer any advice.
I don't see why not but as I said I'm not 100% sure sorry.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:34 PM   #5
onthecouchagain
Banned

Definitely looks like a defect of some sort. Sorry to hear, mate. Something's amiss somewhere. That may also explain why Power Toggles kept crashing for you (I've had it since day one of owning my N4 and hasn't crashed once).

Google will replace, I'm sure. I'd reach out to them ASAP. I think the window is 14 days? Not positive.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:37 PM   #6
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Google will replace, I'm sure. I'd reach out to them ASAP. I think the window is 14 days? Not positive.
Well isn't there a 1 year warranty either way?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:38 PM   #7
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

The toolkit I used for my Nexus 7 had an option to install the stock factory image, does yours have that option? If it does, do that and you'll go back to being unrooted, then relock your bootloader and you'll be right to send it back.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:38 PM   #8
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
The toolkit I used for my Nexus 7 had an option to install the stock factory image, does yours have that option? If it does, do that and you'll go back to being unrooted, then relock your bootloader and you'll right to send it back.
Yeah it does.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:43 PM   #9
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReanimationN View Post
The toolkit I used for my Nexus 7 had an option to install the stock factory image, does yours have that option? If it does, do that and you'll go back to being unrooted, then relock your bootloader and you'll be right to send it back.
Thanks for the suggestion! I am backing up all my apps right now.

Quote:
Yeah it does.
Do you know where that option is in the toolkit?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:45 PM   #10
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I am backing up all my apps right now.

Do you know where that option is in the toolkit?
No sorry I haven't used it myself but I know it's in the toolkit.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:47 PM   #11
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
No sorry I haven't used it myself but I know it's in the toolkit.
Alright thanks, I'll dig around for it.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:04 PM   #12
strausd
macrumors 68030

I am getting an error every time the toolkit tries to download the factory image.

Just found this other toolkit:
http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/

I am gonna see how well that works for going back to the factory image.

Last edited by strausd; Dec 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:54 PM   #13
steviewhy
macrumors regular

Have you tried turning on "Show Touches" & "Show Pointer Location" in:

Developer options>Input

If the touches show up but the screen doesn't react it would probably point to a software/os problem instead of hardware. If that's the case a restore may work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	input.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	382065  
steviewhy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:28 AM   #14
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by steviewhy View Post
Have you tried turning on "Show Touches" & "Show Pointer Location" in:

Developer options>Input

If the touches show up but the screen doesn't react it would probably point to a software/os problem instead of hardware. If that's the case a restore may work.
Restore only made it worse. Added another video in the original post. And here is one with those checked:

Man, and I almost sold my iPhone 4S! Good thing I haven't done that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Definitely looks like a defect of some sort. Sorry to hear, mate. Something's amiss somewhere. That may also explain why Power Toggles kept crashing for you (I've had it since day one of owning my N4 and hasn't crashed once).

Got another Nexus 4 on the way. But with a dead screen, physical buttons don't sound too bad, ehhhhhh??????

Last edited by strausd; Dec 7, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 02:07 AM   #15
steviewhy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Restore only made it worse. Added another video in the original post. And here is one with those checked:

Man, and I almost sold my iPhone 4S! Good thing I haven't done that yet.

Got another Nexus 4 on the way. But with a dead screen, physical buttons don't sound too bad, ehhhhhh??????
It does look like a hardware problem. Hopefully the replacement proves to be more reliable.
steviewhy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:35 AM   #16
rezorate
macrumors newbie

Holy cow. My phone has this same exact problem. Did you ever figure out what it is, or did you have to send it back? I recently sold my iPhone 4S so I'm hoping it's not a hardware problem.
rezorate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:58 AM   #17
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular

I don't know why Google picked LG for the Nexus 4.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:04 AM   #18
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc4rf4c3 View Post
I don't know why Google picked LG for the Nexus 4.
I'm starting to feel the same way. I would have much preferred they went with Samsung again. Would have made it way easier to transition from my S3 (boy do I miss this phone) to Nexus 4.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:29 AM   #19
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

I had the exact same issue on my model! I've returned it now and am waiting for the refund. I admit there are other reasons why I prefer iOS to Android.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:07 PM   #20
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm starting to feel the same way. I would have much preferred they went with Samsung again. Would have made it way easier to transition from my S3 (boy do I miss this phone) to Nexus 4.
I personally love the look and feel of the Nexus 4, much improved over the Galaxy Nexus. Problem seems to be that while the build materials feel/look great, the build quality seems to be subpar. Shame too because it's my favorite design of any Android handset to date.
tbayrgs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 12:10 PM   #21
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I personally love the look and feel of the Nexus 4, much improved over the Galaxy Nexus. Problem seems to be that while the build materials feel/look great, the build quality seems to be subpar. Shame too because it's my favorite design of any Android handset to date.
I agree with pretty much everything you said except it feels a bit too thick when compared to the S3. Even my HTC 8X which is a millimeter thicker feels thinner than the Nexus 4 because of the way it's designed.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:04 PM   #22
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I agree with pretty much everything you said except it feels a bit too thick when compared to the S3. Even my HTC 8X which is a millimeter thicker feels thinner than the Nexus 4 because of the way it's designed.
Yeah, doesn't have the slightly rounded back like many devices that lends to possibly a better feel in the hand but I guess I'm used to the "slab" style design since I've used the last few iPhones.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices