Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:18 AM   #351
Blkant
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLibrarian View Post
Hey that is a crossfire setup of the ATI. Its not fair...
You should find the single 6970 results...
Funny part is though, it still beats it. :P

Last edited by Blkant; Dec 21, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Blkant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:27 AM   #352
spcdust
macrumors 6502a
 
spcdust's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLibrarian View Post
Hey that is a crossfire setup of the ATI. Its not fair...
You should find the single 6970 results...
Yep, you're quite correct, here's an updated comparison:

__________________
27" Quad Core i7 iMac (Sandy Bridge), 12GB RAM, 2 TB HD
spcdust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:41 AM   #353
Fenn
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
I know Fenn tested one but didn't specify a number so I think its only for Borderlands 1 sadly. :/
The tests I performed were from the first Borderlands.

Sadly Borderlands 2 is 50% off on Steam today but I don't have the funds to pick it up after going all out for my iMac U_U
Fenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:11 AM   #354
Blkant
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenn View Post
The tests I performed were from the first Borderlands.

Sadly Borderlands 2 is 50% off on Steam today but I don't have the funds to pick it up after going all out for my iMac U_U
Still going through that "did I really just pay that much...?" phase hu? :P

More than understandable, but at least you'll almost certainly be able to play it when you get your hands on it.

Should start a steam Mac Benchmarking account so titles no one has can be gifted for GPU/CPU tests. :P
Blkant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:05 AM   #355
stroop
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Battlefield 3 is running a 55-75fps on my 2012 27" iMac, i7 3.4GHz 8GB ram, (680MX 2GB) at 1920x1080 everything Ultra. With locked V sync it stays right on 60fps. 2560x1440 frame-rate dips to the 40's but if you turn down anti aliasing to 2X it jumps back to 60fps and looks fantastic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	627.4 KB
ID:	384992  

Last edited by stroop; Dec 21, 2012 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Spelling
stroop is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:20 AM   #356
forty2j
macrumors 68030
 
forty2j's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ
680MX:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenn View Post

heaven (native resolution, default settings.)

fps: 51.9
scores: 1307
min fps: 28.6
max fps: 115.3
675MX:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLibrarian View Post


Heaven
FPS: 37.2
Scores: 937
Min FPS: 20.5
Max FPS: 90.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLibrarian View Post
the difference from 680mx seems minimal.
We might disagree on the definition of minimal.
__________________
 2012 iMac 3.2GHz 27" 680MX Fusion  iPhone 5  Apple TV 2  iPad 2 
forty2j is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:55 AM   #357
uptownnyc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroop View Post
Battlefield 3 is running a 55-75fps on my 2012 27" iMac, i7 3.4GHz 8GB ram, (680MX 2GB) at 1920x1080 everything Ultra. With locked V sync it stays right on 60fps. 2560x1440 frame-rate dips to the 40's but if you turn down anti aliasing to 2X it jumps back to 60fps and looks fantastic!
In bootcamp, or virtualized?
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:22 AM   #358
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9495 View Post
After this update i can now play far cry 3 at 1440p at ultra with no AA
Thanks
What FPS you getting, i just played at 1440 on ultra with no AA and was only getting 25 FPS with the 310.70 update. It shoots up past 70fps at 1080p.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:39 AM   #359
hacke
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by stroop View Post
Battlefield 3 is running a 55-75fps on my 2012 27" iMac, i7 3.4GHz 8GB ram, (680MX 2GB) at 1920x1080 everything Ultra. With locked V sync it stays right on 60fps. 2560x1440 frame-rate dips to the 40's but if you turn down anti aliasing to 2X it jumps back to 60fps and looks fantastic!
How noisy are the fans after playing about 1h BF3?

Thank you in advance!
hacke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:41 AM   #360
Outrigger
macrumors 65816
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownnyc View Post
In bootcamp, or virtualized?
I would imagine bootcamp.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:02 AM   #361
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Just installed windows on my 3TB fusion and did a 3D mark benchmark

27" with 680mx (w/ stock Apple bootcamp drivers)..........6342
Ok i just updated to the 310.70 drivers and got 6755

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/5298176
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.

Last edited by torana355; Dec 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:20 AM   #362
sjz88
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
How can you show the fps ingame? Is there a console command in every game that's different?
I just got back into computer games with my new iMac. Used to play on my PS3 the last couple of years
sjz88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 AM   #363
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjz88 View Post
How can you show the fps ingame? Is there a console command in every game that's different?
I just got back into computer games with my new iMac. Used to play on my PS3 the last couple of years
Download Fraps.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:13 AM   #364
Fenn
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
Still going through that "did I really just pay that much...?" phase hu?
Yes haha! I knew I was not alone :P I absolutely love it too pieces though so it takes a bit of the sting off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
Should start a steam Mac Benchmarking account so titles no one has can be gifted for GPU/CPU tests. :P
I do have this already, the steam name for it is fenneddar!
Fenn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:44 AM   #365
AndiS.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty2j View Post
680MX:



675MX:






We might disagree on the definition of minimal.
We would have to know whether he benchmarked the 675MX with Heaven under OSX or Windows.

The 680MX gets 39 in OSX and 53 in Windows.
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:08 PM   #366
Jay9495
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
What FPS you getting, i just played at 1440 on ultra with no AA and was only getting 25 FPS with the 310.70 update. It shoots up past 70fps at 1080p.
I get 30-45fps on ultra, with no AA and I turned that HDAO thing to HBAO and it made a difference in fps
Jay9495 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:19 PM   #367
torana355
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9495 View Post
I get 30-45fps on ultra, with no AA and I turned that HDAO thing to HBAO and it made a difference in fps
Is that at 1440? From what ive read most people are struggling to run this at 1080p at a decent framerate on alot of gaming rigs let alone 1440! I will have to try that HDAO setting, but from what ive read turning off Post FX altogether makes a massive difference and looks better too.
__________________
2012 27" iMac with 680mx | 2011 13" MBA 128gb | iPhone 4 32gb | Nexus 7 16gb | Nexus 4 on Carbon and Trinity.
torana355 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:21 PM   #368
Jay9495
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
Is that at 1440? From what ive read most people are struggling to run this at 1080p at a decent framerate on alot of gaming rigs let alone 1440!
Yep 1440p I was suprised as well
Jay9495 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:12 PM   #369
Blkant
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9495 View Post
Yep 1440p I was suprised as well
But if it goes below 35fps it kind of becomes unplayable, especially if thats the average... How much of a compromise do you have to make to get it stable at native resolution? How drastic is the visual difference between 1080p and 1440p on the iMac screen?
Blkant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:17 PM   #370
Jay9495
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkant View Post
But if it goes below 35fps or so it kind of becomes unplayable... How much of a compromise do you have to make to get it stable at native resolution? How drastic is the visual difference between 1080p and 1440p on the iMac screen?
Honestly there is a difference in the details (sharpness, etc.) but nothing drastic. But I don't see how people can't play at 30fps, it's so smooth and most definitely playable, they human eye probably can't even distinct 30fps from 40-50fps, if it were to drop to 20-25fps I wouldn't play it, but 30fps is just fine for me
Jay9495 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:00 PM   #371
MasterLibrarian
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
We would have to know whether he benchmarked the 675MX with Heaven under OSX or Windows.

The 680MX gets 39 in OSX and 53 in Windows.
The scores posted on behalf of forgottenwallet are under OSX

@ forty2j: what you posted is comparing 680MX Windows with 675MX OSX....

Have a better look on what I have originally posted that is under OSX for BOTH of them...

And again , not my scores ! Those were posed in the 675MX thread...

Any other guy willing to benchmark his 675MX ???
MasterLibrarian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:06 PM   #372
AndiS.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLibrarian View Post
The scores posted on behalf of forgottenwallet are under OSX

@ forty2j: what you posted is comparing 680MX Windows with 675MX OSX....

Have a better look on what I have originally posted that is under OSX for BOTH of them...

And again , not my scores ! Those were posed in the 675MX thread...

Any other guy willing to benchmark his 675MX ???
it would be interesting to hear from forgottenwallet or somebody else with a 675MX, I think he might have unbeknownst benchmarked with different settings. Maybe Heaven defaults to different settings, depending with the card?
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:11 PM   #373
MasterLibrarian
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
it would be interesting to hear from forgottenwallet or somebody else with a 675MX, I think he might have unbeknownst benchmarked with different settings. Maybe Heaven defaults to different settings, depending with the card?
Sure! We want more 675MX Benchmarks !!! But as far as I can see only a (very) few people got the 675....
MasterLibrarian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:11 PM   #374
AndiS.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay9495 View Post
Honestly there is a difference in the details (sharpness, etc.) but nothing drastic. But I don't see how people can't play at 30fps, it's so smooth and most definitely playable, they human eye probably can't even distinct 30fps from 40-50fps, if it were to drop to 20-25fps I wouldn't play it, but 30fps is just fine for me
I haven't checked the actual FPS, but it definitely runs very smooth in 1440p! Haven't turned on AA (which probably wouldn't make a great difference at that resolution, like somebody already said) and left everything on the default high settings. Looks beautiful and runs excellent : )
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:28 PM   #375
AndiS.
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterLibrarian View Post
Sure! We want more 675MX Benchmarks !!! But as far as I can see only a (very) few people got the 675....
I would guess many people actually got the 675MX or will get it, they just don't post in this forum.

Forgottenwallet replied to me, I haven't checked the Heaven settings yet but if memory serves that's what I benchmarked with as well. That would mean, that I got only 2 FPS more in OSX on my 680MX. Maybe it's just something OSX related and under windows the difference would become visible, but we won't know until somebody presents a benchmark.

Either way, Im sure the 675MX is a powerful card as well! And should have better driver support at the moment, since its not Apple exclusive.

At the end of the day I'm very happy with the 680MX, runs games more than well already with those beta drivers
AndiS. is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calling all GTX 680mx / 675mx owners...please post VALLEY benchmarks! flavr iMac 59 Nov 27, 2013 11:13 PM
Post Your 680MX Overclock Settings & Benchmarks tehpwnerer19 iMac 2 Apr 4, 2013 11:58 AM
675mx vs 680mx benchmarks closer than you might think! flavr iMac 5 Mar 24, 2013 11:12 PM
OS-neutral: i5 and 680MX Chargrave Mac and PC Games 11 Mar 15, 2013 04:14 PM
Benchmarks for 27 i5 with 680MX? AndiS. iMac 31 Dec 25, 2012 03:26 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC