Recommend me a programming language - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:50 AM   #1
shawnb123
macrumors newbie

Recommend me a programming language

OK, I'm looking for a programming language to learn in the new year. Here is my background: I have a bachelor's degree in computer technology (mostly web development). I never really learned one language completely well in school because they always changed every semester. Here are some languages I've had some experience with: C, Java, C#, Visual Basic, ASP, SQL/PL-SQL, HTML. I'm not an expert on any of these languages, but I know the basics of object oriented programming, if statements, loops, etc. Currently I'm a systems engineer for a car radio supplier which has nothing to do with my major. Recently I've been filling in some for a software engineer doing builds for software releases and I really enjoy that and may want to push more for doing that eventually. I don't think I want to write software at a really low level, so that rules out C. I would delve more into Java, but that's mostly used in web development and I'm not sure I want to do that. I really just want to learn a general language that would make me more marketable in the future and at the same time learn a language that's fun to use and can be useful anywhere. I'm thinking this may be a scripting language like Python, Ruby, or Perl. I may have just answered my own question, but does anyone have any opinions on what I should learn and advantages/disadvantages of these languages? I really want to devote the entire year to learning a language.

Thanks.
shawnb123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming