Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Last month, research firm Kantar Worldpanel reported that Apple had retaken the lead in U.S. smartphone sales from Android over the August-October timeframe, topping Android by a 48.1%-46.7% margin on the strength of the iPhone 5 launch.

At the time, the firm suggested that Apple's share would continue to rise as the 12-week window of sales data shifted to include the iPhone 5 for its entirety, predicting that Apple would set a record high for market share within the following two periods.

kantar_us_smartphones_nov12.jpg
Kantar Worldpanel has now released its data for the September-November period, and Apple has indeed set a record high with 53.3% of the market. Apple's share is up dramatically from 35.8% in the same period last year, although the iPhone 4S did not launch until later in the corresponding timeframe.
Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech, comments: "Apple has reached a major milestone in the US by passing the 50% share mark for the first time, with further gains expected to be made during December."
Apple continues to fare less well in Europe, where even with growth of 2.5 percentage points year-over-year to reach 25.3% of the market, Android has surged farther ahead with a 9.2 percentage point gain and now holds 61% of the market.

Among the markets tracked by Kantar Worldpanel, Apple's best performance was in the United States, while its worst performances were in Brazil, Australia, Spain, and Italy, all countries where it lost share over 2011.

Article Link: Apple Sets New High with 53.3% of U.S. Smartphone Market, Android Holds Strong in Europe

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
The difference between US and Europe can be addressed to subsidizing, I think in Europe the price difference between iPhone and high-end devices from competitors is >€200,- while in the US it's no more than $100 (€80). Give or take.

For Apple's sake, I hope this subsidizing will continue forever, because this model is the main reason iPhone devices are more popular than Android devices.

Nevertheless, extremely impressive results, because the previous year was the first Android devices really caught up with the iPhone, but still the iPhone sales are way stronger. Really impressive.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Good to see Apple back on top, no matter how briefly.

And these Apple-related posts are fine and good, but what I'm really missing are PATENT LAWSUIT STORIES

Last edited:

CindyRed

macrumors member
May 26, 2011
It really is odd how the uniqueness of the iOS ecosystem makes it impossible to compare the iPhone with other phones on the market. It's not really competing against individual phone manufacturers, but software creators as well. So one can't simply say the iPhone beat out android or the iPhone beat out Samsung or HTC or Sony Ericson.

The only real comparison is up against Nokia and RIM, and let's face it, nobody needs to compete with those two anymore.

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
They are doomed.
To success.
No matter how disappointing or crazily priced their products are.
A 16GB iPhone 5 is 729€ here in Italy, and I bought a Galaxy Note 2 for 490€ today.
No wonder they are losing share over here.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
And in other news, Windows holds the lead over the Mac. :rolleyes:

Stories like this are so pathetic.

I would agree if it was simply reporting numbers that hadn't moved, but these aren't insignificant changes. There are ramifications to swings in the landscape either way.

More than anything, I think the numbers around RIM foretell a grim 2013 in Waterloo.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
They are doomed.
To success.
No matter how disappointing or crazily priced their products are.
A 16GB iPhone 5 is 729€ here in Italy, and I bought a Galaxy Note 2 for 490€ today.
No wonder they are losing share over here.

That is the problem in Europe is that the iPhone is crazy expensive. I can buy an iPad and an relatively cheap phone and it still doesn't cost as much as an iPhone.
Most of the people that have iPhones the company for who they work for is paying for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.