Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
My iPhone 5 has a small scratch out of the box. Should I return it and get a new one?

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Depends on the scratch. Some people search their phone under magnification looking for an imperfection. If the scratch is visible under normal circumstances i would return; otherwise keep it. Compare this situation to anything else you might buy. My new flat screen came out of the box with a small nick near the bottom; however i would never return a $1000 device with a tiny imperfection that didn't even effect performance, but if had serious cosmetic issues i would return even if it operated perfectly.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
If its not on a very bad place and catches your eye all the time then dont return it.

If it is a scratch of half a milimeter then dont :)

There are people that if its a micron scratch they would , its not a big deal if thats not a big one.

You can live with it

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Like others have said, it's up to you. Some can live with it, some can't. But if it's me, and the scratch is visible, I would return it ONLY because I'm paying for a brand new product. If they wanna reduce the price then fine, I'll deal with it. But not willing to pay the asking price and get something with marks on it.
IDK why everyone makes a big deal when someone complains about scratch(es). I would be upset if I payed for a BRAND NEW product and it comes scratched up. Just like I would be upset if I bought a brand new car and it came scratched up.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Why return it when you could sue for obvious massive damages!?

I am going to open a class action for all of the emotional distress, time off work, and general horribleness this has caused everyone...

It's a travesty. I just want to make sure no one else loses sleep at night over the injustice.

Apple won't get away with this!

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Why return it when you could sue for obvious massive damages!?

I am going to open a class action for all of the emotional distress, time off work, and general horribleness this has caused everyone...

It's a travesty. I just want to make sure no one else loses sleep at night over the injustice.

Apple won't get away with this!

The ironic thing is that someone, somewhere probably *will* try this :(.

It's the sad state of our world. People are dying from having no water in other countries, and we obsess about a 1/2mm scratch on a phone.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 2, 2012
Depends on how big/small the scratch is. At this point, unboxing an iPhone 5 without scratches is like a crap shoot. I know people, personally, who returned up to 6 iPhone 5's until finding one they were content with.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1445493/

Well I returned mine. So I should better just skip the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPhone 6 then?

I thought Apple would have fixed scuff-gate by now :(

cdfink08

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
I don't understand why people try to stick up for apple over a damaged product that is supposedly brand new. If I pay $600 for ANYTHING I expect it to be in prestine condition. These people who have their heads shoved so far up apples ass that they think its the consumer who is overreacting need to get a reality check.

Now I'm not one who is going to say there is a "scratch gate" but there is evidently a problem with quality. So accept that facts and stop being such fanboys.

Sent from my Lumia 920

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
You are extremely lucky to have gotten a new iPhone with a scratch.

So many people worry so much about when they are gonna get their first scratch and you already have your so no need to worry!

:D

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Well I returned mine. So I should better just skip the iPhone 5 and wait for the iPhone 6 then?

I thought Apple would have fixed scuff-gate by now :(

Yep. Better steer clear of ALL consumer electronics that are mass produced. At least until you are able to either hold everything to the same standard (in which case you'll probably never buy anything ever again) or until you buy a few other things and realize there is no such thing as "flawless" consumer electronics, just:

1) One's with varying degrees of "damage"

or

2) One's with varying degrees of "damage" that just have not encountered someone OCD/Anal enough to NOTICE said "damage".

It makes no difference what you spend, or what you feel, or how great the company... If you look hard enough you WILL find a flaw. The people that return phone after phone just look harder than those who don't. They must also lead a miserable life. Feel bad for them.

Are there some legit cases for return? Sure. Are they a "gate"? Heck no. They are the cost of mass production. This isn't an "excuse" for Apple, this is a reality for EVERY manufacturer.

If you can't live with something not being "perfect" or "prestine" (sp), then seal yourself in a bubble and call it a day. If you look hard enough to notice tiny scratches that no normal person would, you will never be satisfied, and may as well save yourself the dissapointment now and just stop.

That goes for everything, not just Apple products.

The best thing most "scuffgate" sufferers could get (besides a seat in my class action lawsuit), would be professional help, not more sealed boxes to open and find "problems" with...

Chris092881

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2012
My response was arbitrary given the zero information in the OP.

I completely understand. My big issue with the "just keep it" attitude is that if everyone felt that way then Apple would NEVER address the issue at all. Nor would it be willing to help customers as a result. Sometimes you gotta make a stink to get what you want.

Spidder

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2012
Are there some legit cases for return? Sure. Are they a "gate"? Heck no. They are the cost of mass production. This isn't an "excuse" for Apple, this is a reality for EVERY manufacturer.

That's true, but Apple just has to do better quality control! Apple costumers are pushing a huge amount of money into Apples anu..., i mean bank account, and we made Apple to the richest company in the world!

The least thing they can do to return the favor is selling us flawless products by spending a little more money for quality control! Isn't costumor satisfaction (and the always puff that up!) worth a few more million $? And Apple could pay that out of petty cash!

Instead of sueing every competitor, Apple should take that money and spend it for quality control!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.