Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:27 PM   #1
ttopp
macrumors regular

send video to apple tv without itunes

hi is there a way or an app to view video on apple tv without using itunes? i want to play wmv, avi and mkv files on my apple tv without converting them and putting them into my itunes library..

Help please
ttopp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:27 PM   #2
FreeState
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttopp View Post
hi is there a way or an app to view video on apple tv without using itunes? i want to play wmv, avi and mkv files on my apple tv without converting them and putting them into my itunes library..

Help please
Check out Plex: http://www.plexapp.com/

You will have to jailbreak your Apple TV. There are a couple threads on it in this forum.
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:22 PM   #3
aelalfy
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Tomorrow is just another day"

Steve

Sent from an iPhone
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:30 AM   #4
zhenya
macrumors 68020

If you have an iOS device, with the release of 4.2 you will be able to use an app like Zumocast or AirVideo to send the content to the ATV, with the transcoding happening in real time.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:21 AM   #5
CBEtravel
macrumors newbie

Smile Airparrot

Best solution for streaming audio and video to your Apple TV from an Mac or Windows PC... without using iTunes... is Airparrot.

Download it and install. It shows up in your system tray. As long as you are on the same network as your Apple TV, just right click the Airparrot icon and select Apple TV as your Airplay device.

http://airparrot.com

Then hook up your wireless keyboard and mouse and plop on the couch for some supersized web browsing.

It's 20 minute sessions for the free version, $9.99 for full and can gift to someone for $4.99 if you buy for yourself.

Last edited by CBEtravel; Dec 21, 2012 at 02:37 AM.
CBEtravel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:42 AM   #6
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttopp View Post

Help please
Yes, there is an app called Beamer (Beamer for OSX), it has currently some issues with large MKV's and it only plays stereo at this time . They are promessing improvements in future releases supporting DTS ans DD 5.1 There is a free demo at http://beamer-app.com/
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:01 AM   #7
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

You can also use one of many apps for iphone to stream videos from your network and then use airplay from your phone to the apple TV. AirVideo, Plex, and VlcStreamer are just a few examples of many.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:07 AM   #8
chrisperro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
Yes, there is an app called Beamer (Beamer for OSX), it has currently some issues with large MKV's and it only plays stereo at this time . They are promessing improvements in future releases supporting DTS ans DD 5.1 There is a free demo at http://beamer-app.com/
agree.....beamer is great for avi's,watch 2 movies last night no a single buffering problem, is way better than airparrot and with beamer my temperatures stay around 75 celcius fans don't kick in like with air parrot
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:50 PM   #9
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisperro View Post
agree.....beamer is great for avi's,watch 2 movies last night no a single buffering problem, is way better than airparrot and with beamer my temperatures stay around 75 celcius fans don't kick in like with air parrot
I hope you mean your computer's temperature........
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:54 PM   #10
chrisperro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
I hope you mean your computer's temperature........
lol of course I'm in Canada!
chrisperro is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater