Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ttopp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
hi is there a way or an app to view video on apple tv without using itunes? i want to play wmv, avi and mkv files on my apple tv without converting them and putting them into my itunes library..

Help please :(

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Tomorrow is just another day"

Steve

Sent from an iPhone

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you have an iOS device, with the release of 4.2 you will be able to use an app like Zumocast or AirVideo to send the content to the ATV, with the transcoding happening in real time.

CBEtravel

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
Airparrot

Best solution for streaming audio and video to your Apple TV from an Mac or Windows PC... without using iTunes... is Airparrot.

Download it and install. It shows up in your system tray. As long as you are on the same network as your Apple TV, just right click the Airparrot icon and select Apple TV as your Airplay device.

http://airparrot.com

Then hook up your wireless keyboard and mouse and plop on the couch for some supersized web browsing.

It's 20 minute sessions for the free version, $9.99 for full and can gift to someone for $4.99 if you buy for yourself.

Last edited:

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
hi is there a way or an app to view video on apple tv without using itunes? i want to play wmv, avi and mkv files on my apple tv without converting them and putting them into my itunes library..

Help please :(

Yes, there is an app called Beamer (Beamer for OSX), it has currently some issues with large MKV's and it only plays stereo at this time . They are promessing improvements in future releases supporting DTS ans DD 5.1 There is a free demo at http://beamer-app.com/

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
You can also use one of many apps for iphone to stream videos from your network and then use airplay from your phone to the apple TV. AirVideo, Plex, and VlcStreamer are just a few examples of many.

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
Yes, there is an app called Beamer (Beamer for OSX), it has currently some issues with large MKV's and it only plays stereo at this time . They are promessing improvements in future releases supporting DTS ans DD 5.1 There is a free demo at http://beamer-app.com/

agree.....beamer is great for avi's,watch 2 movies last night no a single buffering problem, is way better than airparrot and with beamer my temperatures stay around 75 celcius fans don't kick in like with air parrot

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
agree.....beamer is great for avi's,watch 2 movies last night no a single buffering problem, is way better than airparrot and with beamer my temperatures stay around 75 celcius fans don't kick in like with air parrot

I hope you mean your computer's temperature........:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.