Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1
dukee101
macrumors member

Question Fusion Drive performance: 1 TB vs 3 TB

To those who are so lucky as to have their brand-new 2012 iMacs already delivered to them:

Can you help us compare the performance of 1 TB vs 3 TB Fusion Drives?

Obviously, odds are you have one iMac with only one of these configurations. So just contribute your feedback about your particular config (either 1 TB or 3 TB) and we'll compare it amongst those with the other config.

I'm shopping around for the new iMac and although I don't have a need for 3 TB of capacity, I know that the 3 TB drives have 3 x 1 TB platters, which perform better than the 1 TB drives with 3 x 333 GB per platter. (The more capacity per platter, the faster the hard drive can access data).

Performance benchmarks for regular (non-Fusion) 1 TB vs 3 TB drives clearly put 3 TB drives ahead by about 20%. So this normally would make a difference, but I'm curious to see how the spread is affected when you throw an SSD in the mix as part of a Fusion setup.

And since storage I/O is such a critical way to "feel" the performance of a system (it's today's bottleneck), I'm willing to get the 3 TB Fusion Drive for the increased speed alone, IF IT'S DEMONSTRABLY THERE.

So please, let us know

Last edited by dukee101; Dec 21, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
dukee101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Tags
disk io, fusion drive, imac, storage performance