Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:21 PM   #1
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Google/Moto "X Phone" to rival iPhone and Galaxy devices.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/m...id-smartphone/

Quote:
Motorola reportedly engineering 'X phone' and 'X tablet' to rival iPhone and Galaxy devices Mobile

Remember that era where the original RAZR elevated Motorola's name in the mobile realm to god-like status? Evidently, folks in that inner circle are angling for that to happen once more. A breaking report from The Wall Street Journal has is on good authority that engineers at Moto are toiling on a so-called "X phone," which is obviously being built under the stewardship of Google. The goal? To produce a singular handset that can immediately rival the iPhone and Samsung's flagship Galaxy handsets.

It's unclear at the moment what exactly will make this guy such a marquee piece, but we are told that the effort is being headed up by former Google product manager Lior Ron. Reportedly, the company even went so far as to look into producing the phone with a bendable display and a ceramic-based exterior, but it's unlikely that those dreams will pan out. Strangely, there's no mention of whether the phone will slot into Google's Nexus range -- phones that run unadulterated editions of Android -- but it's made clear that an X tablet will be following the phone. At some point post-Apocalypse, obviously.
Not entiurely sure what this will achieve with the Nexus program pumping out some decent hardware but this could be very interesting.

Fully Google controlled flagship hardware? Consider me interested!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
It would be nice to see vs. the current new manufacturer showcase every year on the Nexus line.

Tegra 4 looks delicious too with rumors of another partnership with ASUS to make a new $99-129 tablet.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:51 PM   #3
AutoUnion39
macrumors 68030

I wish Motorola would just release the Droid RAZR MAXX HD on AT&T. I would buy it ASAP.
AutoUnion39 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:12 PM   #4
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Now that's what I'm talking about. Good news.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:32 PM   #5
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
Fully Google controlled flagship hardware? Consider me interested!
Count me in.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:38 PM   #6
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

If Google can get organized and have strong leadership, it could become both a phone manufacturer and a phone carrier. God knows we need national competition against the lazy phone carriers and their artificial restrictions on smartphone use. Google would liberate. I would totally kill for a Google made phone with a Google provided data connection.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:38 PM   #7
onthecouchagain
Banned

Interest piqued.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:49 PM   #8
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
You've got my attention.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:54 PM   #9
3bs
macrumors 603

If it has a huge battery I'm in
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:45 PM   #10
tjl3
macrumors 6502a

$$$ - Google wants a piece of this pie. I would be very interested in seeing how they will eventually price said device. And hopefully the design is original, it would be a huge player in the market.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:49 PM   #11
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I wish Motorola would just release the Droid RAZR MAXX HD on AT&T. I would buy it ASAP.
Having the RAZR maxx on all the carriers would have saved Motorola. Not sure why they took the short term exclusivity agree over long term growth and profit.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:37 AM   #12
onthecouchagain
Banned

This will probably be some sort of "carrier-version, unofficial Nexus, headed under the guise of Motorola aka Google" with LTE, sold at same price points as the others ($199 for two year contract).

A Googorola Nexzr, if you will.

Could be a winner.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:12 AM   #13
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
This will probably be some sort of "carrier-version, unofficial Nexus, headed under the guise of Motorola aka Google" with LTE, sold at same price points as the others ($199 for two year contract).

Could be a winner.
That would instantly put me off personally.

Look at how the Galaxy Nexus in Verizon is languishing behind Android versions officially.

The dev community would undoubtedly pick up the slack though so it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:36 AM   #14
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post

Could be a winner.
Doesn't work. The Verizon carrier locked Galaxy Nexus was a mistake, as was the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. Remember when Google for a short time booted them off AOSP support because of how much of a pain in the ass CDMA carriers are?
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:54 AM   #15
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Think this will replace the Nexus programming?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:10 AM   #16
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Isn't the Nexus 4 already considered some sort of "flagship" with that kind of specs?
Beeplance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:43 AM   #17
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Doesn't work. The Verizon carrier locked Galaxy Nexus was a mistake, as was the Nexus S 4G on Sprint. Remember when Google for a short time booted them off AOSP support because of how much of a pain in the ass CDMA carriers are?
Definitely hear your concern. I'm guessing because this won't be an official Nexus, it'll get updates after the Nexus do, but likely before everyone else. The current Motos are getting JB at a faster rate than others are getting it. It took Samsung 6+ months to roll it out (but they did add new features).

I'm only speculating, though.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post
That would instantly put me off personally.

Look at how the Galaxy Nexus in Verizon is languishing behind Android versions officially.

The dev community would undoubtedly pick up the slack though so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Yup. Just speculating. Not sure how it'll all play out.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #18
onthecouchagain
Banned

Looks like Googorola plans to market this phone strongly: http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/21/g...from-motorola/

Quote:
Google may be doing more to boost Motorola's presence than whipping up a new device strategy, if rumors are true. AllThingsD claims that Google has poached Samsung's American VP for strategic marketing, Brian Wallace, for a roughly equivalent role at Motorola. The move would not only give Motorola a high-profile executive who's had stints at companies like RIM, but one who's not afraid of taking the competition head-on: Samsung's TV ads poking fun at iPhone launch queues appeared under Wallace's tenure. We've asked Google, Motorola and Samsung whether or not the shift is real; Motorola won't comment in either direction, and we haven't heard from the remaining two. If there's any truth to the story, Motorola might have a stronger carrier-independent sales pitch than the occasional dystopic TV spot.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:24 AM   #19
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Let's hope this will get timely updates.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:27 AM   #20
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

I think google should lose the Motorola name and just make it a google division.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:29 AM   #21
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
I think google should lose the Motorola name and just make it a google division.
Yeah like "Google Hardware" or something. Or they already have that division?

I think Google Mobility will suit them better.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:29 AM   #22
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankar4 View Post
I'd love this. But I'm assuming they don't want to scare their OEMs?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:51 AM   #23
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

The better get their s&%t together though before offering they're own hardware. Their handling of the recent Nexus offerings was atrocious and they will NEVER compete with Samsung/Apple if they can't properly sell and service hardware.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 02:04 PM   #24
gto55
macrumors 6502a

[#ff0000]Motorola XT1058 hits the FCC: Could this be the X Fon?[/#ff0000]
http://liliputing.com/2013/05/motoro...the-x-fon.html

Itís been about a year since Google acquired Motorola, which means that pretty much every Motorola phone thatís been released since the acquisition was already in the works before Google got involved. Research, development, and production take time.
But that could change this year, and thereíve rumors of an upcoming Google-influenced Motorola device called the X Fon. While allegedly leaked photos have popped up a few times, Motorola has yet to confirm the phoneís existence.

Clearly the company is working on something, though. An unannounced handset called the Motorola XT1058 just passed through the FCC, and the label drawing looks a lot like the back of the phone in some of those leaked pictures.

The FCC documents donít tell us much about the device. It supports 802.11ac WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0, and NFC and works with AT&Tís 4G LTE network.
If this is truly the first Google-influenced superphone from Motorola, odds are weíll see versions for other wireless networks as well. Motorola and Verizon typically have a pretty chummy relationship, but itís been a while since Motorola released a smartphone for the largest carrier in the US.
via Droid Life and PhoneScoop
gto55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 09:49 PM   #25
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Count me in.
Me too.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices