Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:17 PM   #1
mcdj
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Free Xmas upgrade from AT&T. Woot!

Ordered the wife a white 16gb Mini 3 weeks ago. After 2.5 weeks of waiting, I started getting nervous that it wouldn't arrive in time for Xmas, so I went to Tekserve in NYC and picked up a backup. AT&T was offering a $100 discount with a 2 year contract, so I was not thrilled about it not showing up.

I finally got a shipment notification yesterday from AT&T. Talk about cutting it close. It arrived today. Upon opening the box, I was surprised to see not a white 16gb but a black 32gb.

At first I figured they screwed up, but I just got an email saying they are low on 16GB Minis in white, and that I would get a black 32GB at no extra charge.

So I paid $359 for a black 32GB. Pretty stoked about that.

Of course, I couldn't do the sensible thing and return the white 16 to Tekserve and give my wife the black 32. After all, she doesn't need 32gb and she is all about white Apple stuff. So I kept the 32 for myself, (apple slut! I already have an iPad 4) and am giving her the white 16 from Tekserve.

Anyhow, if you ordered a 16gb white from AT&T, and haven't received it yet, you may be in for a pleasant surprise when it does arrive.
mcdj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:40 PM   #2
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Haha you got lucky man, one of the only times I've seen big corporations do anything nice for consumers. I guess they know you really wanted it for xmas and decided to do the nice thing instead of making you wait for it.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:40 PM   #3
AmyK
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
How was it shipped? Mine shows shipped. (Woot!! Two weeks early) but it shows it shipped via USPS??? That seemed really odd to me
__________________
Amy
iMac 27" (2010), MB Pro 13" (2011), iPad 3 (2012), iPhone 5, iPad Mini: Wishlist... MB Air, New iMac
AmyK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Cool Christmas story buddy. It looks like you efficiently ordered a product and hoped it would arrive in time, it did. That is very very very cool.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:03 PM   #5
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanks for the info. I'm toying between 16 GB White or 32 GB White from AT&T. It looks like I'll be going 32 since their stock is low.

Also, congrats on the upgrade!
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
mcdj
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyK View Post
How was it shipped? Mine shows shipped. (Woot!! Two weeks early) but it shows it shipped via USPS??? That seemed really odd to me
FedEx.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:56 PM   #7
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a
 
SnowLeopard OSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Congrats!
__________________
iPad |4th gen Black/ 32GB/ iOS 8.0
iMac |G4 1.0 GHz/ 1.25 GHz PPCG4 (7445)
iPod |Classic Black/ 80GB|U2 edition 20GB
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:36 PM   #8
EMAN19
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
FedEx.
Whereabouts is TekServe located in NYC?

I too live in the Big Apple...

Also, congrats and woot woot!
__________________

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:02 PM   #9
DollaTwentyFive
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Whoa. I'm confused. A 2 year contract on an iPad? So you were willing to pay how much a month for 24 months to save $100?

I suppose if you know that you will absolutely have cellular data for 24 straight months no matter what, you might as well save the $100. But I don't know if I would want to be locked into a contract to only be subsidized $100.

Oh well, different stokes, right?

But great upgrade! That's awesome.
DollaTwentyFive is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:46 PM   #10
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DollaTwentyFive View Post
Whoa. I'm confused. A 2 year contract on an iPad? So you were willing to pay how much a month for 24 months to save $100?

I suppose if you know that you will absolutely have cellular data for 24 straight months no matter what, you might as well save the $100. But I don't know if I would want to be locked into a contract to only be subsidized $100.

Oh well, different stokes, right?

But great upgrade! That's awesome.

If someone is on the Mobile Share plan, it's only 10 bucks a month. To save a 100 and only be paying 10 a month for something you were going to have anyway, it doesn't sound like a bad deal. You also don't have to use that device. You can upgrade later and not be charged an ETF.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:21 PM   #11
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Congrats, OP.
ucfgrad93 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:11 PM   #12
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
If someone is on the Mobile Share plan, it's only 10 bucks a month. To save a 100 and only be paying 10 a month for something you were going to have anyway, it doesn't sound like a bad deal. You also don't have to use that device. You can upgrade later and not be charged an ETF.
Since when is $10 only $10? I think we have lost the mental value of what $10/month can do.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:00 PM   #13
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
Since when is $10 only $10? I think we have lost the mental value of what $10/month can do.
Hasn't $10 always been only $10? Was it $11.27 and I've just been getting scammed? Seriously though, I meant that now with Mobile Share, users can pay $10 a month for service versus the $30 a month for prepaid service. I'd much rather pay $10 than $30.

To me, $10 a month is only a couple coffees at my local café. While I can understand how $10 a month can seem like a lot to someone, I tend to look at it at like what can I replace it with that I use on a monthly basis. So instead of getting a couple of lattes, I'll just drink coffee at home those two or three times.

$10 a month can't do a whole lot. It can't pay any of my bills, fill up my car or even pay for a meal for my wife and I. I could donate that money, sure, but most charities take your $10 a month and put maybe 1% towards the cause you want it to go to. (On that I note, I do support giving money to my local homeless shelters.)

I am curious though as to why you're interested in what I spend my money on.
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:01 PM   #14
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
Hasn't $10 always been only $10? Was it $11.27 and I've just been getting scammed? Seriously though, I meant that now with Mobile Share, users can pay $10 a month for service versus the $30 a month for prepaid service. I'd much rather pay $10 than $30.

To me, $10 a month is only a couple coffees at my local café. While I can understand how $10 a month can seem like a lot to someone, I tend to look at it at like what can I replace it with that I use on a monthly basis. So instead of getting a couple of lattes, I'll just drink coffee at home those two or three times.

$10 a month can't do a whole lot. It can't pay any of my bills, fill up my car or even pay for a meal for my wife and I. I could donate that money, sure, but most charities take your $10 a month and put maybe 1% towards the cause you want it to go to. (On that I note, I do support giving money to my local homeless shelters.)

I am curious though as to why you're interested in what I spend my money on.
I never said I was curious? I could care less what you spend your money on. You're the one who got all defensive. I just asked since when is $10 only $10? You made it seem like "oh well it's just $10/month" which is $120/year, which could go towards anything but data use.

Retirement fund, CDs, Children's College. List goes on and on.

That's just what I would use my $10/month on.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:07 PM   #15
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030
 
HazyCloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinggus View Post
I never said I was curious? I could care less what you spend your money on. You're the one who got all defensive. I just asked since when is $10 only $10? You made it seem like "oh well it's just $10/month" which is $120/year, which could go towards anything but data use.

Retirement fund, CDs, Children's College. List goes on and on.

That's just what I would use my $10/month on.
I wasn't trying to be defensive and I apologize if that's how I came off. I understand what you're saying now. It wasn't very clear in your first post.

Do you not have any monthly services like Netlfix or a data plan on your iPhone? Couldn't those also be put towards your kid's college fund? What makes an iPad any different?
__________________
If you have a question about my post, quote me so I am notified and can easily reply to you.
HazyCloud is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:19 PM   #16
dinggus
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazyCloud View Post
I wasn't trying to be defensive and I apologize if that's how I came off. I understand what you're saying now. It wasn't very clear in your first post.

Do you not have any monthly services like Netlfix or a data plan on your iPhone? Couldn't those also be put towards your kid's college fund? What makes an iPad any different?
It's okay, texts get misunderstood.

I have a data plan for my iPhone and it's unlimited. If I changed my data plan, I'd be paying the same price for it.

I don't have kids, so I'm just living life and buying my toys first. I have a retirement fund.

Don't get me wrong I spend my money on useless crap. But I do stop and think about it and realize what I bought was stupid. I'll admit, I love my iPad Mini, but it was a stupid purchase. I already had an iPad 2 and I just liked how small and light the Mini was.
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Open & check out a rMBP Xmas gift or leave sealed? koa MacBook Pro 23 Dec 23, 2013 02:16 PM
FREE:Merry Xmas HD By BabyBus BabyBusSinyee iPad Apps 0 Dec 11, 2013 09:30 PM
How I Got a Free Upgrade from 300MB to 3GB Data (AT&T) agroundw iPhone 21 Oct 5, 2012 05:39 PM
Bought MBP 17 from B&H - Free Upgrade to Mac OS X Mountain Lion ron1004 OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 2 Aug 12, 2012 08:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC