Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:25 PM   #1
Amad3U5
macrumors member

Move iTunes movies to an external HDD

I own a rather extensive library of films (some from iTunes, some pirated) that I keep in my iTunes Library, as it is the most convenient for me.

Due to lack of storage (I have a 128 GB MacBook Air) I purchased a 1TB external hard-drive (link for those interested), so that I could move most of my media (photos, documents, movies...) to save space.

However, I encountered a problem when transferring my movie library: as soon as I opened one with iTunes, it automatically was copied to iTunes' default movie location on my drive (/Users/[USER]/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Home Videos/), which was precisely what I was trying to avoid.

In a nutshell, I would like to transfer my movies to my external, but still have full access to them via iTunes, all without copying the files to my internal disk drive.

Thanks in advance!
Amad3U5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:18 PM   #2
CylonGlitch
macrumors 68030

iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced Preferences -> Uncheck "Keep iTunes Media folder organized"

and

iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced Preferences -> Uncheck "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library"

Done.
Last edited by CylonGlitch : Tomorrow at 37:05 AM.
MRoogle
CylonGlitch is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store