Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:03 AM   #26
Daniel L
macrumors 6502

AT&T LTE sucks in LA. I've seen it at full reception maybe once or twice in months. It seems like it's 1 or 2 bars everywhere or it just defaults back to HSPA fake 4G.

I haven't tried Verizon but I figure it can't be anywhere as bad. However, if you have at least 2 bars it is way quicker than their fake 4G. Going through the speedtest app I get between 8 and 20 mbps with a latency in the 80s.
Daniel L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:09 AM   #27
ct2k7
macrumors 603

It's alright in West Hollywood.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:09 AM   #28
Mliii
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Mliii Send a message via Yahoo to Mliii Send a message via Skype™ to Mliii
Central City, fine.
The rest of LA- and points North- FORGET IT!
NADA!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:13 AM   #29
Gangnam Style
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw3bb10 View Post
........................LA does have LTE.
I have yet to see LTE light up on my phone but it could be just the areas that I was in.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:18 AM   #30
Outsiderdude26
macrumors regular

Talked to a CSR a few days ago... their time frame for LTE in the SF Valley is ~5 months, 7 for Calabasas. I live in studio city and can walk down to the Hollywood hills a 1/4 mile and get At&t LTE... with that said, I'm switching to Verizon. At&t only has 10 Mhz (top speed would be 25-30 MBPs on a good day) while verizon has 20 Mhz in the greater LA area.

Mac Pro in Dec.
Outsiderdude26 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:26 AM   #31
SAMtheGAM
macrumors regular

Here in Monterey Park, CA 91754 I have to use a microcell in order to use voice with AT&T. I get 1 bar of LTE on my iPad when used upstairs. I have gotten speeds between 5 - 10 mbps. I have seen 2 - 3 bars at most throughout the San Gabriel Valley.

Verizon has no LTE signal at my home even though there coverage maps shows me fully covered.
SAMtheGAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:33 AM   #32
ilifecomputer
macrumors regular

I get decent full coverage lte in South Los Angeles on campus at usc. I say decent because here in South Pasadena its blaaaaazing fast. Like blows away my cable fast.
ilifecomputer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:42 AM   #33
SAMtheGAM
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilifecomputer View Post
I get decent full coverage lte in South Los Angeles on campus at usc. I say decent because here in South Pasadena its blaaaaazing fast. Like blows away my cable fast.
I will have to test it at my parent's house in San Marino, CA. Time Warner Cable is slow in South Pas / San Marino.
SAMtheGAM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:49 PM   #34
ITS ME DAVID
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilifecomputer View Post
what area in s pas is this ? im off monterey rd and york blvd
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:56 PM   #35
DimeTech
macrumors member

My service has been reallllly crappy and irregular today. I live in woodland hills, deep in the valley. Straight up no service for like an hour at a time. iPhone 5 4g normally. I come home from work check my phone and its got an LTE indicator. no way . LTE has finally hit the valley!!!!
DimeTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:02 PM   #36
adeedew
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw3bb10 View Post
I know that Verizon is superior in the Valley. LTE is everywhere too. But im not paying $100 a month for an individual plan with only 2GB of data.
-___-
Exactly. That's what i did and regret it, LTE is overrated when you have insane speeds but have to worry that you will hit 10gb's in a 1 month and get verizon alerts that you're halfway through your monthly plan allowance in 5 days. I can confirm Iphone 5 verizon in the valley is totally LTE covered, do i use it much? No

Last edited by adeedew; Dec 17, 2012 at 10:07 PM.
adeedew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:24 PM   #37
Tallguy93
macrumors member

I hear everyone bashing Sprint and I completely understand that. But if your in one of their very few cities (hopefully not for long) that have LTE then there service is just great. I just switched from T-Mobile and around Houston I consistently get speeds of 21-30mbps and 6-12mbps upload. Occasionally I will fall back to 3G but they are working on it and for the price I am very happy. Still have a week left in my billing cycle and have used over 10gb's. Their LTE is wayy faster than comcast at my home.

EDIT: I know this thread is about a location far far away from houston, but im just showing that Sprint is really good if you are in one of their soon to be launched or launched LTE cities.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.PNG
Views:	6
Size:	435.5 KB
ID:	384268   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	7
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	384269  
Tallguy93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:44 AM   #38
jstar002
macrumors regular

I'm in Weho. I just signed up for ATT for a 2 year contract but I will cancel if the LTE sucks. The reason why I signed up is cause I went to the ATT store on La Brea and Santa Monica Blvd and LTE was super fast there... I hope they don't have "secret tricks" to make it faster at the store but it was fast. Do they do something at the store to make it go faster there for customres?

Another reason was cause the actual Verizon store in Weho has horrible results in Yelp. I order my phones online and never go in the store so it shouldn't be a problem. However, one person stated they could only return the Verizon store they bought in person (exchange or return or something cause of a particular problem) and they said the employees/manager were really mean...

So that's why I chose ATT.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeedew View Post
Exactly. That's what i did and regret it, LTE is overrated when you have insane speeds but have to worry that you will hit 10gb's in a 1 month and get verizon alerts that you're halfway through your monthly plan allowance in 5 days. I can confirm Iphone 5 verizon in the valley is totally LTE covered, do i use it much? No
What individual data plan did you have ATT and how much do you pay? I have the mobile share plan for $85 w/unlimited talk/texts and 1 gig of data...
jstar002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 02:11 PM   #39
hatersgonnahate
macrumors 6502

im getting great LTE speeds in South Pasadena. in Glendale, its weak.
hatersgonnahate is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:51 PM   #40
millerhifi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimeTech View Post
My service has been reallllly crappy and irregular today. I live in woodland hills, deep in the valley. Straight up no service for like an hour at a time. iPhone 5 4g normally. I come home from work check my phone and its got an LTE indicator. no way . LTE has finally hit the valley!!!!
Yup, I noticed that today. The AT&T LTE switch has been flipped on for most areas of the San Fernando Valley. Finally! :-)
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:36 PM   #41
Ding.Dong
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatersgonnahate View Post
im getting great LTE speeds in South Pasadena. in Glendale, its weak.
Yeah, no kidding. I work in Glendale and I just noticed the LTE connection starting the other day, but the speeds are just dismal. I've been turning off LTE, so I can at least get a decent connection via 4G. Here's two speed tests, one LTE and one 4G:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.PNG
Views:	11
Size:	454.5 KB
ID:	385069   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.PNG
Views:	9
Size:	459.9 KB
ID:	385070  
Ding.Dong is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone