Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1
strausd
macrumors 68030

iMessage and Android problem

Finally got my replacement Nexus 4. But now when any iPhone sends me a text, it automatically sends it through iMessage. And I get it on my iPad, but not at all on my Nexus 4. I turned iMessage off on my old iPhone I was using, but that didn't fix it. Now whenever someone sends me a message from an iPhone, I won't get it on my phone unless they tap on hold on EVERY message they want me to get and click "send as text message." Is there any better way to do it? Having to remember to tap each message and tell it to send as a text can get very annoying.
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2
nospleen
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to nospleen
Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
Finally got my replacement Nexus 4. But now when any iPhone sends me a text, it automatically sends it through iMessage. And I get it on my iPad, but not at all on my Nexus 4. I turned iMessage off on my old iPhone I was using, but that didn't fix it. Now whenever someone sends me a message from an iPhone, I won't get it on my phone unless they tap on hold on EVERY message they want me to get and click "send as text message." Is there any better way to do it? Having to remember to tap each message and tell it to send as a text can get very annoying.
I had this same issue and what worked for me you referenced above. Just make sure you sign out first and then turn off. I tried turning off first and that didn't work.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:56 PM   #3
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Same problem for me as well when I switched from an iPhone to my Nexus 4. I had also set up my iPad and Mac to received iMessages sent to my iPhone cell number so I had to remove that number from all other devices in addition to disabling iMessage on my iPhone. Once that was done I was good.

Oh, also to be safe I removed my cell number from my profile for my Apple ID on Apple's website after reading various forums stating it was necessary to remove your cell number from your Apple ID.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:48 PM   #4
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
Same problem for me as well when I switched from an iPhone to my Nexus 4. I had also set up my iPad and Mac to received iMessages sent to my iPhone cell number so I had to remove that number from all other devices in addition to disabling iMessage on my iPhone. Once that was done I was good.

Oh, also to be safe I removed my cell number from my profile for my Apple ID on Apple's website after reading various forums stating it was necessary to remove your cell number from your Apple ID.
How would I delete my number from my iPad and MBP?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:29 PM   #5
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
How would I delete my number from my iPad and MBP?
Here's the response I gave to someone else with the same problem in another thread.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:17 AM   #6
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Here's the response I gave to someone else with the same problem in another thread.
Thank you for that. I will actually be using my iPhone for another week so I will try this when I am able to get back on my Nexus 4.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:26 AM   #7
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
So I took minute to see if that option is on my iPad, but its not. However, I am still receiving iMessages on my iPad. The only thing showing up is my email address and not my phone number. And when I clicked on my email address and tapped "view account." Unfortunately, I get a server error every time I tap that. I'm on 6.0.1 on my iPad and my iPhone is on 5.1.1 I think.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:18 AM   #8
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Turn it off on your iPad too. Your telephone number and apple ID are linked together at the moment. Turning off iMessage or severing the link between your number and your iD is only way to stop this.

One solution

Go to Settings - Mail, contacts, calendar - My info and select from contact list and make sure your number isn't on that.

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Dec 22, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:08 AM   #9
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
So I took minute to see if that option is on my iPad, but its not. However, I am still receiving iMessages on my iPad. The only thing showing up is my email address and not my phone number. And when I clicked on my email address and tapped "view account." Unfortunately, I get a server error every time I tap that. I'm on 6.0.1 on my iPad and my iPhone is on 5.1.1 I think.
And you're positive they're actually not being sent to your email address (vs. your phone number)?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Turn it off on your iPad too. Your telephone number and apple ID are linked together at the moment. Turning off iMessage or severing the link between your number and your iD is only way to stop this.

One solution

Go to Settings - Mail, contacts, calendar - My info and select from contact list and make sure your number isn't on that.
I found just turning off iMessage wasn't enough--did that first on both my iPad and Mac but still wasn't receiving text messages from iPhones. Only after I removed the telephone number from both devices did I start getting text messages again. If you Stausd doesn't see his phone number listed under Send & Receive options in Messages on his iPad or under Preferences (Messages > Preferences > Accounts) on his MBP, not sure where else to look.

You should have to remove your number from your contacts--I still have mine included on my contact card on all my devices.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:08 PM   #10
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post

One solution

I'd like for it to still be sent to my email address.

Quote:
And you're positive they're actually not being sent to your email address (vs. your phone number)?
Positive.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:19 PM   #11
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

As a frequent android/iPhone switcher.. make sure before pulling your sim outta the phone that you turn off iMessage. That will take your number off iMessage. Then just go into your other devices and where it says you can be reached at these address, make sure you uncheck your phone number and just leave the email you'd like to be reached at there.
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:05 AM   #12
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
As a frequent android/iPhone switcher.. make sure before pulling your sim outta the phone that you turn off iMessage. That will take your number off iMessage. Then just go into your other devices and where it says you can be reached at these address, make sure you uncheck your phone number and just leave the email you'd like to be reached at there.
My phone number isn't showing up as an address on my iPad in the first place, and that is why I am so confused.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:41 PM   #13
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
My phone number isn't showing up as an address on my iPad in the first place, and that is why I am so confused.
Is your iPhone on iOS 6? My GF had that issue at first. Then once signed into icloud/imessage on the iphone it appeared on the iPad.
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:26 PM   #14
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
Is your iPhone on iOS 6? My GF had that issue at first. Then once signed into icloud/imessage on the iphone it appeared on the iPad.
I am still on 5.1.1.

-----------------

And I just went ahead with your suggestion and it seems to be working for the time being.

Last edited by strausd; Dec 30, 2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:40 PM   #15
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Interesting - my buddy with a GS3 gets my texts just fine. When I send it auto tries to send as an iMessage then sends as text message automatically if it doesn't work.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:53 AM   #16
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Interesting - my buddy with a GS3 gets my texts just fine. When I send it auto tries to send as an iMessage then sends as text message automatically if it doesn't work.
Just out of curiosity, did your friend ever have iMessage set up on an iPhone?
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:49 AM   #17
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

I had an issue after moving from an iPhone 5 running the iOS beta to my Nexus 4. Even after switching off iMessage texts weren't coming thru.

In the end I read something that said turn off iMessage on your device, get another iPhone (not yours, so a friends or something) turn off iMessage on their device, send a text message from their device to yours and then turn their iMessage back on. After this everything worked as normal for me.

Last edited by Chris.L; Dec 31, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:22 PM   #18
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, did your friend ever have iMessage set up on an iPhone?
That's a good question - he upgraded from a 3GS but don't know if he ever configured much
Old Dec 31, 2012, 06:51 PM   #19
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.L View Post
I had an issue after moving from an iPhone 5 running the iOS beta to my Nexus 4. Even after switching off iMessage texts weren't coming thru.

In the end I read something that said turn off iMessage on your device, get another iPhone (not yours, so a friends or something) turn off iMessage on their device, send a text message from their device to yours and then turn their iMessage back on. After this everything worked as normal for me.
Seems like a huge pain for something as simple as sending a text.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:37 PM   #20
Chris.L
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Seems like a huge pain for something as simple as sending a text.
It was. And I was annoyed that switching it if simply didn't work. Fortunately though I only had to do it on one device. Other iPhone users can text me no problem and I haven't told them to do anything out of the ordinary.
Chris.L is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices