Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Does leaving on WiFi and BT drain battery? Im talking when not connected, eg if I leave my home WiFi walk along street where there is loads of home WiFi will the iPhone try to connect or handshake or whatever with them via WiFi and thus use battery?

On Bluetooth, once I'm disconnected from my cars BT, with BT still on does it constantly search for other BT, or even registered/paired BT devices thus using battery?

What to people do? Leave these both on constantly all day? Does it shorten battery life? Ha e you tried it on and off?

Cheers

chrisperro

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
canada
my wifi is on all day,if you using the phone it will search with minimum hit to the battery, if your phone is in standby it won't drain the battery because wifi is off while on standby.
it depends how old is your iPhone ,i have a 4 and battery remains very strong still ,but if you without wifi for a day or so sure turn it off.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Does leaving on WiFi and BT drain battery? Im talking when not connected, eg if I leave my home WiFi walk along street where there is loads of home WiFi will the iPhone try to connect or handshake or whatever with them via WiFi and thus use battery?

On Bluetooth, once I'm disconnected from my cars BT, with BT still on does it constantly search for other BT, or even registered/paired BT devices thus using battery?

What to people do? Leave these both on constantly all day? Does it shorten battery life? Ha e you tried it on and off?

Cheers

For WiFi tun off ask to join networks and it will not drain the battery as much. I leave both on as I connect to WiFi at home and at work and I use BT in my car, so I am sure it drains the battery somewhat but it is minimal. When I travel and I don't take my car, I turn BT off.

Also, be aware that if you use maps and/or GPS and your WiFi is off, your location will not be accurate.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
This will be on an iPhone 5 sorry. So turn off "ask to join networks"? Won't this stop me joining networks though or will I just have to manually?

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Yes it drains battery. That said, I leave my wifi on all of the time. I don't have any bluetooth devices so that is never on. My battery usually will last me an entire day.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yes, it will have an impact on battery impact, although the significance of the impact will differ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.