Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:09 PM   #1
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Ripping DVDs - there must be a better way

My mother has switched over to her Apple TV and abandoned the DVD player completely. Every now and then, I need to transcode a disc for her. Usually, I create an image with an old iMac G4 I have, and have my i5 Mac mini transcode it in handbrake, then tag everything in MetaZ.

Well, I stumble across troublesome discs from time to time, like a stop motion animated Christmas DVD (the one with mr heatmiser), where this method doesn't work. I just connected my playstation 2 to my EyeTV and recorded it. It came out okay, but it was slow and I lost chapter markers. Audio didn't matter on a film that old. My mother wants me to transcode "Santa Paws" and I tried the latest version if Mac the Ripper the PPC supported.

Bad sector warnings, even when using arccos mode. And I didn't get anything handbrake could understand from it, so there go chapters.

Any help on ripping these troublesome CDs with my setup?