Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Since Samsung is the most successful and capable vehicle for android distribution, this could end in full on android civil war if Google manages to make a compelling product.

I don't see this move having any real affect on iOS and Apple. Android will simply eat itself.

If Samsung gets pissed enough, it could easily turn into Galaxy SV featuring Tizen which might be a good thing.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It really does look silly. It's like talking into a portable flat screen monitor. When I was buying a case for my iPhone 5 at Verizon a guy was on one, I had to look away to keep from laughing out loud.

Yep, just put the giant phone in your man purse. Lol!!

The fact that you had to look away to keep from laughing says a lot about you. Thanks for that info.

REM314

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2009
Canada
List 3 reasons why Android is "superior".

Speaking about the S3 I'd say the biggest advantages are:

1. Big nice screen
2. Widgets
3. Much better notification panel with quick settings, quick toggles, the ability to swipe away individual notifications and controls for currently running apps like music and soundcloud.

There are others but those are the three major ones for me.

anthony11

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
This ****'s about to get interesting.
In the Chinese proverb sense, for AAPL shares, at least.
Given Android is very much on a stable, non-fragmented heading now (the latest Android builds have come on leaps and bounds), this could actually be a heck of a lot more successful than the previous attempts.
We'll still see lots of phones that don't use the latest builds. Heck, they're still selling phones with 2.3 that will never be updated.
Apple needs to up their game - Android is now the better OS, undeniably with the likes of the S3 and Note.
I doubt Android "just works" anywhere near as well as OSX/iOS, so "better" is doubtful.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
You're wrong... I know you're wrong because I read some other post on here one day that said you were and I don't do my own research so you have to be wrong :rolleyes:

That was a failure to being funny.l

I wish Google, and others, would focus on their strengths rather than trying to take over the world, which is one of their weaknesses. Google does really, really well with search. Their maps are great. Android and their hardware is awful.

Hardly. :rolleyes:

Don't think i'll ever buy anything from Google again. Shocking retail service. I mean theres bad....then there's google bad. Idiots.

Whoah the Google-haters are out in force today. Apple must have called in their reserves.

Care to elaborate on this "horrible retail service" you claim?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Don't think i'll ever buy anything from Google again. Shocking retail service. I mean theres bad....then there's google bad. Idiots.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Reread my post. I have never nor has anyone I have known had an issue with Android and security. I know that might be hard to digest. But it's a fact.

My friends are pretty smart. A lot of them are also building backend systems for banks, insurance companies, etc - so they know a little about code - malicious or not. You really shouldn't try to make assumptions just to try and prove your point. Again - I know it must be hard to fathom - but there are several people never affected by Android's security. Just like there are many people who have never had an issue with their iPhone.
The only way they would know is either they got a strange bill or their identity stolen. Even Google who started auto scanning apps didn't know they were infecting there customers. Unless of course your friend know android better than the company who wrote it. Even then your remarks illuminate the problem. The majority of android buyers are not computer nerds who program code. They are cheap skates who like getting something for next to nothing and are influenced by the geeks to buy these phones. They assume that there phone is safe to use especially if they get apps only from Google. I know several people who told me they felt safe for this reason. A false security because Google refuses to monitor the apps.

Red Oak

Suspended
Jun 14, 2011
No lol the Nexus 4 has been a massive success and they cant keep up with the demand. I have the Nexus 4 and quite frankly it puts every other phone to shame. The hardware and software is top notch.

And, that $299 price point is going to guarantee no hardware manufacturer, Samsung included, makes a dime in the Android smartphone market going forward. $0 profit

Way to go Google! You've done in 3 years what it took Microsoft and Intel 20 years to do in the PC market. You've commoditized the whole Android hardware market

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
List 3 reasons why Android is "superior".

I'll bite. And these might fall in the realm of my use case (only)

1. I can choose which default app I want to use as opposed to on my iPhone
2. I can share things easily/quickly with a variety of apps/services in a keystroke or two without going in and out of different apps like on my iPhone
3. The stock email application (at least on my Skyrocket) is far superior to that on my iPhone.
4. Ok - I'm adding widgets. Without having to jailbreak - I have weather and stocks on my lock screen. Two items I enjoy not having to go into an app for.
5. Being able to copy files to/from my phone as if it's a USB drive is very handy.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Make no Mistake

Google is trying to kill the iPhone. What if they succeed? That would be horrible.

Renzatic

Suspended
I seriously doubt it. Mostly i only see people lost in the tons of menus, settings hidden in the places that doesn't make sense.

ICS-Settings.jpg

ios5settings.jpg

Blah blah blah glass houses, blah blah blah THROW A ROCK! OH SHI...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That was a failure to being funny.l

Wasn't meant to be funny actually. It's a sad depiction of many people on this forum

The majority of android buyers are not computer nerds who program code. They are cheap skates who like getting something for next to nothing and are influenced by the geeks to buy these phones. They assume that there phone is safe to use especially if they get apps only from Google. I know several people who told me they felt safe for this reason. A false security because Google refuses to monitor the apps.

Oh - well I guess since a few people you know said it - that must be true for all these "cheap skates..." Seriously? What a bunch of crap. At least most of the people I know have spent the same sometimes more on their Android phones then they did when they bought an iPhone.

SO much hyperbole and condescension in your tone towards anyone who would dare choose something other than what you use. Just wow.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Reading reviews and sticking to well known software will keep you safe. With freedom comes responsibility. It isn't for everyone, sure but don't talk as if it's only a disadvantage.

What did people do before the walled garden?
Before the walled garden there was a walled garden at the carrier level. All Apps went through them. Reviews don't tell the story though because many of the infected apps are fake copies of popular apps. The best ones actually work, but install background apps to record you keystrokes and transmit to hackers. Don't check you bank account!

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Google is trying to kill the iPhone. What if they succeed? That would be horrible.

I don't think they'll ever kill it off, but Samsung and other Android vendors are doing a good job of owning the market, at least in countries other than the US.

I don't understand why Google needs to have Motorola's line of phones, then the Nexus line, and finally every other Android line in addition. It would be nice to just see Google narrow it down to one Motorola super iPhone like device.

I'll bite. And these might fall in the realm of my use case (only)

1. I can choose which default app I want to use as opposed to on my iPhone
2. I can share things easily/quickly with a variety of apps/services in a keystroke or two without going in and out of different apps like on my iPhone
3. The stock email application (at least on my Skyrocket) is far superior to that on my iPhone.
4. Ok - I'm adding widgets. Without having to jailbreak - I have weather and stocks on my lock screen. Two items I enjoy not having to go into an app for.
5. Being able to copy files to/from my phone as if it's a USB drive is very handy.

These are all valid points, but because of the average consumer constituting the majority of the market, Android phones have more market share in some areas for two reasons:

1.) Carriers are PUSHING them like nuts because they are more profitable. It's known that carriers often discourage iPhone sales ... yet it still has over half of the US market?
2.) Android devices are usually cheaper, and the average consumer just wants their first smartphone at the cheapest cost possible.

The average user doesn't care for which app they use to open a file.

The average user probably doesn't notice the differences between the Android Gmail app and iOS Mail.

The average user is probably content with swiping down the notification center and viewing weather/stocks and not needing widgets.

The average user probably doesn't intentionally user their smartphone as a USB drive.

Again, you do have some points, but 95+% of Android users didn't discern these differences from iOS and pick the platform for that reason. If anything, for the average smartphone user, price aside, iOS is likely superior as Apple makes it literally stupid easy to carry out many functions and setting up the device.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Before the walled garden there was a walled garden at the carrier level. All Apps went through them. Reviews don't tell the story though because many of the infected apps are fake copies of popular apps. The best ones actually work, but install background apps to record you keystrokes and transmit to hackers. Don't check you bank account!

Android is doomed.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
How are you supposed to objectively evaluate an OS? If you did that, Android would be the best by far. But it's really a clunky, cheesy mess.

----------

They got viruses and other malware. The VAIO running Win98 I inherited was trashed. But for anyone tech-savvy, it should be easy to avoid malware on Android. It's not like Windows where you can just randomly get a virus from some website or email and be doomed unless you run antivirus constantly.
How do you avoid getting bad programs when they are for sell on the Google Play Store?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Could you be any more wrong?

Try using the latest Android builds for more than 5 minutes, and on a device that isnt a $100 POS.

Fragmentation has been solved pretty damn well with Android 4.

Except that Amazon has successfully forked Android. Also, "Android" is becoming increasingly synonymous with "Samsung" right now. If Samsung forks Android, who's to say that they won't effectively wrest control of the smartphone OS from Google?

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Clearly you've not used Android 4.

Whilst Android 1, 2 and 3 (to a lesser degree) had a lot of issues (which were mostly down to UI inconsistencies and incompatibilities caused by crap hardware), 4 is a heck of a lot better. The S3 is a very, VERY popular phone, and actually performs a fair bit better than the iPhone 5.

Attachments

• 32280779.jpg
    32280779.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 523

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

hardware isn't the this keeping android from being awesome. I am sure google could make nice hardware but since they will use outside suppliers to manufacture the parts everyone else will catch up quickly. The problem with android is only the quality of apps on it, when you use an apple product the apps feel like extensions of the operating system because they all follow certain rules. When you use android apps they mostly feel half baked, and the UIs are not fitting with the rest of the OS which makes it feel unpolished. The OS is good they just need to reign in app guidelines. Also I really don't get why everyone uses amoled displays because they to me are not very good compared to the ips lcd on the iphone

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I would never generalize like you are though.

I know several people who I have seen be "impressed" by the fact that they have weather and stocks right on the lock screen and that it's nice not to have to open an app or other screen. Is it in their list of requirements no. But there's a "cool" factor.

As for the others on my list. They might not care before - but it's something they might care about after owning the phone. IE - only one, and I know it's only one example - but several people on this forum spoke from ignorance when it came to the whole maps issue and then relating it to android. What I mean is - they didn't know that on Android - if Google suddenly changed their mapping solution to one users didn't like - they could select another app as default. When told this was the case they admitted that was a good option. Not one that would convince them to switch - but then again - look at the demographic on this forum ;)

Point being - wouldn't you agree that most people don't really use/get to know their phone until they get home. And by then many people just stick with what they have unless it's a major issue. Minor issues, preferences or features become less important or just accepted as limitations.

I know for me - this was true for my Treo, Blackberry, iPhones and Android Skyrocket.

As I said before - both OSes are great. I think many users would/could be happy with whatever they chose as long as it does what they want.

I never said one OS was better than the other. Both have great strengths and both have shortcomings. No OS is perfect. No device is perfect. And everyone's use case is different.

I just listed some things I preferred on my Android vs my iOS devices

I don't think they'll ever kill it off, but Samsung and other Android vendors are doing a good job of owning the market, at least in countries other than the US.

I don't understand why Google needs to have Motorola's line of phones, then the Nexus line, and finally every other Android line in addition. It would be nice to just see Google narrow it down to one Motorola super iPhone like device.

These are all valid points, but because of the average consumer constituting the majority of the market, Android phones have more market share in some areas for two reasons:

1.) Carriers are PUSHING them like nuts because they are more profitable. It's known that carriers often discourage iPhone sales ... yet it still has over half of the US market?
2.) Android devices are usually cheaper, and the average consumer just wants their first smartphone at the cheapest cost possible.

The average user doesn't care for which app they use to open a file.

The average user probably doesn't notice the differences between the Android Gmail app and iOS Mail.

The average user is probably content with swiping down the notification center and viewing weather/stocks and not needing widgets.

The average user probably doesn't intentionally user their smartphone as a USB drive.

Again, you do have some points, but 95+% of Android users didn't discern these differences from iOS and pick the platform for that reason. If anything, for the average smartphone user, price aside, iOS is likely superior as Apple makes it literally stupid easy to carry out many functions and setting up the device.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
they absolutely want eyeballs hitting the google services on the back end.

Yes, and if they piss off Android vendors, they could possibly have less Android devices on the market feeding those eyeballs. I doubt Google wants to provide Android products for the whole pricepoint spectrum by themselves. According to the market, they're having trouble even getting one product to market due to supply constraints.

I understand your points -- they probably align with internal Google reasonings -- but Google walks a dangerous line by attempting to provide a better product than Android vendors. We're not talking about a "reference" phone as you describe -- that's basically what the Nexus is. This device seems to be an Android premium product, something that can go head-to-head with the iPhone.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Nope! Being a man also means I have pockets on my jeans or slacks and it fit's perfectly. Next?
You must where some baggy clothes. One of my co-workers is a droid lover he has a huge Samsung. I put it in my pocket and couldn't stop laughing. He never takes it with him and leaves it on his desk. He talked on of the ladies into buying one and she hated it and retuned it for an iPhone.

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006
Goorola.

Whats the betting it has a crap name though? I hope they drop the 'Nexus' name - it's a bit...well...crap. It's the sort of Xbox name you'd expect a 14 year old kid to use.

As long as its not something like "Motorola Google SMX0395" or some stupid codename type phone.

Edit: I'm betting it'll be called the Google Nexus X, followed by the Nexus X II and X II

Google Xperia Vibrant!

http://androidphonenamegenerator.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.