Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I just noticed I got the Numpad keyboard instead of a Bluetooth keyboard with my 27" iMac order.

I called in to try and change my order, but the rep said I could only cancel and re-place it which is definitely out of the question :p

Do you guys think I would be able to take it into the store after I received it and exchange it for a bluetooth one instead?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Why would you want to?

Yeah, the wireless one uses less space and...hasn't got wires...but the wired one doesn't need its batteries changed and has USB ports on either end.

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I guess you have a point. I always had a MBP so I didn't think I would need a numpad and it is less space clutter, but the extra USB ports are really tempting, guess I'll have to think about it.

So if I wanted an exchange it'd be as easy as taking it to my local Apple store and explaining the situation?

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
So if I wanted an exchange it'd be as easy as taking it to my local Apple store and explaining the situation?

I'm not sure about returns, but I'm assuming Spink10 is correct.

Luckily I still have a wired short keyboard (As long as the wireless one) so I don't have to put up with the extra space for the numpad :p

The USB ports are really useful, honestly can't believe Apple stopped making the short wired keyboards. Maybe you could check on eBay.

rpramanik

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2008
San Francisco, USA
keyboard with number pad and arrows

along with the USB is much better for people who use excel, and word process.

artists, graphic, photo not so big a deal and no wire is much more beautiful.

I use excel so I got the wired...

multicore

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2009
Don't want to hijack thread, but my question seems pertinent: Are the ports on the numpad keyboard still USB2?

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I hate the Apple wireless keyboard, ill take the wired one anyday. I cant live without my numpad!!!!

----------

Don't want to hijack thread, but my question seems pertinent: Are the ports on the numpad keyboard still USB2?

Yes they are only USB2, it actually saved me because one of my external usb3 enclosures was not compatible with the new iMacs usb3 ports so i just plugged it into the keyboard to get my files off it.

Gelite55

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
The wired Keyboard with number pad PWN's the wireless Bluetooth one. It's something that sits a half a foot from the computer. Who needs the expense of batteries and LACK OF NUMBER PAD!

Pngwyn

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2008
I actually ended up picking up a K750 Logitech for Macs today. Seems to have the best of both worlds.. batteryless wireless with a numpad, and the black is so sleek, cha ching.

BeejayUK

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2012
Surrey Hills
I actually ended up picking up a K750 Logitech for Macs today. Seems to have the best of both worlds.. batteryless wireless with a numpad, and the black is so sleek, cha ching.

Isn't it about time Apple produced a backlit wired keyboard or even a Logitech clone wireless one with usb rechargeable batteries?

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
In all honesty I'd tar the normal wireless one. I found the wired one I used to have didn't connect half of USB things, (they had to have a seperate power source or contain a battery, like a camera, and weren't good with iPods or iPhones or memory sticks for example.) so in the end I just gave up bothering to try and use the ports on it.

rpg51

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012

That is the keyboard I use. Great keyboard. I prefer it over the apple keyboards.

captmatt

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2008
I wish Apple would give an option to save $$ and not choose a keyboard. I switched to Das Keyboard and will never go back to chicklet keyboards!

I don't think, though, that I could afford an Apple branded mechanical keyboard should they develop one...So I don't want them to improve existing options, just step aside...

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I much prefer the wired keyboard and its what I ordered with my 27 bto because I tend to plug my card reader or phone in there for ease of access.

A quick question though..... Having the wired keyboard plugged into the iMac via USB at boot will cause the USB to default to 2.0 won't it? I'm sure I read somewhere that it'll only output the extra power for USB 3 if a USB 3 device is connected first.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
i was able to change my order as long as I did not change the order to something that cost more then the original order.

Maybe if you phone again you will find a better customer service rep who knows what he is doing.

changing it did not effect my deliverly date and I confirmed this on the phone with them also before changing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.