Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
Hi All,

I currently have my managed Aperture library stored on my Macbook Pro and backed up to an external hard drive using Time Machine.

I'm receiving a new Mac Mini this weekend and would like to move my Aperture library to the Mini.

I'm not sure it's as easy as I think it is but is all I have to do is drag the Aperture file located in my Time Machine backup onto the Mini and everything will copy over?

Also, I was thinking about getting an external hard drive and switching to a referenced library. If I did this before I got my Mini, I was thinking I would relocate the orgiinals to the external hard drive and then do the same thing as in option 1, just drag the Aperture library (now referenced) onto my Mini and everything would be seamless.

Am I missing anything? Or are there other files I need to copy over besides the Aperture library to make this work?

Thanks in advance!

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Sounds about right.
Managed libraries behave just like iTunes libraries in the fact that all you need to do to move it is to move the single file.
Referenced libraries, you would have to relocate the originals to the hard drive, then copy the library file (which would hold the adjustments, metadata and previews) to the Mini.
Should be perfectly fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.