Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Karateka Creator Jordan Mechner Compares Apple II and iPhone Versions of Classic Game

Jordan Mechner, creator of the classic Prince of Persia game, recently remade his Apple II game Karateka for iOS. To celebrate, he released a video (found by TUAW) comparing the delivery methods for the Apple II version of Karateka and the iOS version.

The video highlights how software prices are dropped, how delivery methods have improved and how the actual software has gotten more advanced in the last 30 years. The game was released yesterday and our sister-site TouchArcade has posted a lengthy review.

Quote:
Karateka. 30 years later. Does the magic stand the test of time? As I have so subtly implied, I am a bit of a fan of Mechner's original masterpiece, and was skeptical upon seeing the the first sketches and screenshots of this re-invisioning. For fellow fans of the original, I am happy to say that my concerns were allayed just minutes into playing the Xbox 360 version on launch day -- and the iOS version should treat players the same. I found that, while this modern console title appears quite different than the Apple II original -- in a lavish sort of way -- it, at the same time, feels very much the same.
Karateka is available for $2.99 on the App Store. It requires at least an iPhone 4S, the iPad 2, or a 5th-generation iPod touch. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Karateka Creator Jordan Mechner Compares Apple II and iPhone Versions of Classic Game
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
Ungibbed
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Ungibbed Send a message via Yahoo to Ungibbed
My all time favorite game when I was still rocking an Apple //c.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:09 PM   #3
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Yeah, it's a great new version, except

-- Despite his (ancient) history of being a legendary game designer, Mechner added nearly nothing to this version
-- Despite being *many* months in the making, there's a game breaking bug (bowing) that requires the app to restart
-- In an attempt to be cross-platform, it's been reduced to a single button press system that pales in comparison to what it should have been (imagine an infinity blade type game)

The sad thing here is that we have these legends like Mechner, who many of us grew up being amazed by, and the entire industry was captivated by, and then for years they did nothing and we were left to wonder if they had simply moved on to better things, or what they were up to.. wishing that they hadn't simply become obsolete.. and then they come back and release something like this, squashing the argument forever, definitively stating that they were only great, when they were great, because of when they were active

I did spend the $3, and I beat it (who couldn't.. although I never beat original Karateka on C64), and I played it a second time, but that's about it before being deleted. It's depressing
iRCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:18 PM   #4
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Jordan Mechner, creator of the classic Prince of Persia game, recently remade his Apple II game Karateka for iOS. To celebrate, he released a video (found by TUAW) comparing the delivery methods for the Apple II version of Karateka and the iOS version.

The video highlights how software prices are dropped, how delivery methods have improved and how the actual software has gotten more advanced in the last 30 years. The game was released yesterday and our sister-site TouchArcade has posted a lengthy review.

YouTube: video
Karateka is available for $2.99 on the App Store. It requires at least an iPhone 4S, the iPad 2, or a 5th-generation iPod touch. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Karateka Creator Jordan Mechner Compares Apple II and iPhone Versions of Classic Game

A 5th generation iPod Touch only? I guess that's going to limit his sales. I only bought my 4th Gen model a little over a year ago and it's already out of date?

I'll say once again, that iOS game developers should release Mac versions as well if they want to increase their sales. I'd much rather play a game on my Mac than a tiny little pocket device anyway (short of small puzzle games to play on trips, etc.) I'm certainly not going to rush out and buy a new multi-hundred dollar iPod Touch or iPad just to play a $3 game.

While the new game looked interesting (as far as Karate games go), I couldn't see much resemblance to the original with the new 3D style. It seems more like a new game (and I assume the same basic plot) than a true remake. Personally, I found the original to be PAINFULLY slow on the C64 (might as well have been running in slow motion at times). So if it were allowed to run on the earlier Touch and original iPad, it might be more authentic at the crawling frame rates.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:29 AM   #5
satyrica
macrumors member

O hi wtf?

Carra-teka?

I played this game on the Apple ][+ when it was called Karate-ka!

BOOM!
satyrica is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:37 AM   #6
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyrica View Post
Carra-teka?

BOOM!
Yeah? Well I played it on my Atari 800XL when it was called Ka-ra-te-kah!

IN YO FACE!

FYI, my neighbors had it on their Apple II. Wasn't nearly as cool.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:48 AM   #7
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Very nice video
ikir is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:37 AM   #8
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by satyrica View Post
Carra-teka?

BOOM!
arn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:16 AM   #9
Arcady
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
I still play this on my Apple //e. Funny that it works on my 30 year old hardware, but it won't run on my iPhone 4 from 2 years ago.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:27 AM   #10
krravi
macrumors 65816

Geez I saw the video of the original DOS game that I played and then it all came back to me.

I gotta get this game ASAP for old times sake.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Val-kyrie
macrumors 6502a

Wow! This brings back the memories. 5.25" floppies. Playing a video game that was not for typing speed for the first time on a computer. This was one of the first games I played as a child, alongside Moon Patrol and a version of Mario--some pipe game. Anyone remember that? I think I played these games on a Commodore 64, but I don't remember anymore. Anyway, nice to see the game back--I will have to try it for old times' sake.
Val-kyrie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:47 AM   #12
blackcrayon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I still play this on my Apple //e. Funny that it works on my 30 year old hardware, but it won't run on my iPhone 4 from 2 years ago.
But at that time... would it have run on a 48k Apple ][+?
blackcrayon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:59 AM   #13
aarond12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Thank you for posting that video. When I first heard Jordan say "care-uh-take-uh", I wanted to punch my screen. からてか or カラテカ! How can you write a game with a Japanese subtext and not use the Japanese vowel sounds!?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:13 AM   #14
blairwillis
macrumors regular

Wizardry, please?
blairwillis is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:27 AM   #15
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

Long live Karate-ka.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Yvan256
macrumors 601

1GB downloads in 2 to 3 minutes... right.

I bet most people would need around 30 minutes to download 1GB.
Yvan256 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:08 PM   #17
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungibbed View Post
My all time favorite game when I was still rocking an Apple //c.
This one and Dr. J vs Larry Bird!
chasemac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:04 PM   #18
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond12 View Post
Thank you for posting that video. When I first heard Jordan say "care-uh-take-uh", I wanted to punch my screen. からてか or カラテカ! How can you write a game with a Japanese subtext and not use the Japanese vowel sounds!?
Because English speakers have trouble pronouncing most other languages, or places originally written in another language. See: Bombay, Japan, Nanking, the list goes on. Although, to be fair, Japan is a mispronunciation of the original mispronunciation from Chinese.
ConCat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:18 PM   #19
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

This game seems pretty interesting. I wonder how it handles multiplayer, though.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:15 PM   #20
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
All of the pronunciations as written on that vid are wrong, actually, as the first and last mora are the same.
SeaFox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:39 AM   #21
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemac View Post
This one and Dr. J vs Larry Bird!
I believe the title was One on One... it was one of the first games published by Electronic Arts in 1983. Loved it.... and especially loved the innovation that you could slam dunk and smash the backboard. Ahh, the simple pleasures...

Karateka was one of my favorites, and I remember being frustrated trying to figure out how to get past that damned gate (eventually did)... That, Silas Warner's Castle Wolfenstein and Brøderbund's Tai-Pan were my three favorite, most addicting games.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:00 PM   #22
marksman
Banned

Oh my gosh. I admit to having pirated a copy of karateka over my 300bps modem when i was a dumb kid. I remember it being a big release for this pirate group in the 805 area code.

I did play it for a couple hours but action games like that were never my thing.
marksman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:45 AM   #23
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

I played it and hated the new version. Give me the original.
Intarweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:44 AM   #24
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
A 5th generation iPod Touch only? I guess that's going to limit his sales. I only bought my 4th Gen model a little over a year ago and it's already out of date?
Although not that interested in the game itself, I'm also a little depressed that my iPod Touch 4 is not supported.

He ho, I also prefer to play games on the Mac rather that iOS diddyscreen.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:38 AM   #25
tjanuranus
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
1GB downloads in 2 to 3 minutes... right.

I bet most people would need around 30 minutes to download 1GB.
Wtf 1 gig only takes a few minutes to download he is correct. It's not his fault if some people are using ****** ISP's.
tjanuranus is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion