Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Project538
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Project538
Late 2006 Intel iMac Won't Boot

So my Late 2006 iMac locked up while I was playing Minecraft, which is a common occurrence these days. It usually reboots just fine. However, when I attempted to reboot it this time, I was greeted with a "No" symbol (the circle with a slash through it". Another attempt at a reboot had the screen hanging at the Apple logo, and still another brought up a flashing folder with a question mark on it. What do I do?

Thanks,

-Project538
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

Try reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work or you can't reinstall it, your hard drive might be dead. Press the command-V key to when starting it up to start it up in verbose mode. Tell us what lines it freezes at or repeats non-stop.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:09 PM   #3
Project538
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
Try reinstalling the OS. If that doesn't work or you can't reinstall it, your hard drive might be dead. Press the command-V key to when starting it up to start it up in verbose mode. Tell us what lines it freezes at or repeats non-stop.
Unfortunately it's not responding to any startup key combinations, so I can't try either of those things... thoughts?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:13 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6

Is it a USB keyboard? What happens if you press and hold option at startup? Don't forget, you need to press and hold the command and the V key right after you hear the startup noise and continue holding them until you see the verbose startup text.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:24 PM   #5
Project538
macrumors regular

Quote:
Is it a USB keyboard? What happens if you press and hold option at startup? Don't forget, you need to press and hold the command and the V key right after you hear the startup noise and continue holding them until you see the verbose startup text.
Yeah, it's a USB keyboard. How long should these things take to appear? Right now I'm trying to boot in to Lion Recovery. I've been holding the keys forever and it has stayed on the white screen. An Apple logo just showed up, but other than that it's not doing anything. I'll try the verbose mode next.

EDIT: It booted from the Snow Leopard DVD... Now what?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:29 PM   #6
Intell
macrumors P6

They don't take more than 30 seconds. You may have a hardware failure of some kind if nothing appears when holding startup keys.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Project538
macrumors regular

Alright, I"m back up and running! Booted from a Snow Leopard disc and then told the computer to restart and boot into the hard drive. It worked, and now I'm back in to Lion. Anything I should do to prevent this from happening again?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:54 PM   #8
Intell
macrumors P6

Run Disk Utility to verify your hard drive and possibly back up your data.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:10 PM   #9
Project538
macrumors regular

Quote:
Run Disk Utility to verify your hard drive and possibly back up your data.
Disk Utility says everything is fine... Somehow I doubt that. Either way, I'm running a back up right now. Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:47 PM   #10
Beebou
macrumors newbie

You can't run Minecraft on that thing at over 2 FPS, can you..?
Beebou is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
Project538
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebou View Post
You can't run Minecraft on that thing at over 2 FPS, can you..?
It runs fine most of the time. I have most of the graphics settings on "fast", and I've installed Optifine which helps as well. It lags every once in a while and crashes from time to time, but I'll make it work until I get a new computer for college. I don't have an exact FPS count for you off the top of my head, but I can get one later and post it if you're interested.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:14 PM   #12
MeFromHere
macrumors regular

That model of iMac is prone to problems in the graphics system when it gets too hot. The problem seems to get worse as the system gets older. Have you noticed any graphics glitches, especially when the system is working hard? On my system, these glitches are often followed by a hang.

Download smcFacControl, install it, and keep an eye on the system temperatures. Consider boosting the fan speeds by a moderate amount to keep the temperatures from going too high. Over time, you may be able to see about what temperatures lead to symptoms, and adjust the fans to stay out of the danger zone.

These days, my 2006 iMac needs the fans turned up enough that I hear them (in a quiet room) if I'm doing anything graphics-intensive.
MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac