Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:02 PM   #201
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
I'm also still waiting on the confirmation from apple on the use of 6061 non-tempered aluminum in its products. It's been asked by many people towards many different people and not a single response has been provided to any of us.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.

Last edited by vastoholic; Dec 21, 2012 at 06:50 PM.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 08:07 PM   #202
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustloveapp View Post
this is the first thing i thought about the first time i held the phone. how easily it must be to bend.
Well does it bend easy for you?
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:29 PM   #203
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I'm also still waiting on the confirmation from apple on the use of 6061 non-tempered aluminum in its products. It's been asked by many people towards many different people and not a single response has been provided to any of us.
Knowing how secretive Apple is, I wonder if the specifics will ever be revealed. Given how some like to sensationalize things I'd be curious to know how many iPhone 5's are actually bent. Of those, how many due to abuse ? One things for sure, if it's anything like Antennagate, the next iPhone will really be strong. Apple will boast about it, and buyers will be assured that Apples once solid durability record will be restored.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:59 PM   #204
Jtludwig
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I'm also still waiting on the confirmation from apple on the use of 6061 non-tempered aluminum in its products. It's been asked by many people towards many different people and not a single response has been provided to any of us.
Good luck with that.
Jtludwig is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #205
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtludwig View Post
Good luck with that.
All I meant was that I don't want to hear the argument about the type of metal until some one digs up the proof.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:39 PM   #206
eyecon82
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
All I meant was that I don't want to hear the argument about the type of metal until some one digs up the proof.
the proof is in the fact how easily it bends....I purposely bent one at an apple store just to see...it took quite a bit of pressure, but it still bent with my bare hands right at the volume rocker....

it may be strong everywhere else, but there is an inherent weakness by the volume rocker


don't believe me? go to an apple store and see for yourself..just don't get caught!

----------

I bet anyone that when the 5s comes out, they will have done something about the weakness by the volume rocker...whether it is redesigning it, or reinforcing it internally somehow.....but they will never admit to it
eyecon82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:57 PM   #207
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
the proof is in the fact how easily it bends....I purposely bent one at an apple store just to see...it took quite a bit of pressure, but it still bent with my bare hands right at the volume rocker....

it may be strong everywhere else, but there is an inherent weakness by the volume rocker


don't believe me? go to an apple store and see for yourself..just don't get caught!

----------

I bet anyone that when the 5s comes out, they will have done something about the weakness by the volume rocker...whether it is redesigning it, or reinforcing it internally somehow.....but they will never admit to it
Why the heck would you bend an in store display? You just destroyed company property.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:16 AM   #208
eyecon82
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Why the heck would you bend an in store display? You just destroyed company property.
oh boo hoo
eyecon82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:25 AM   #209
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
oh boo hoo
Seriously? Destroy your own property if you're going to conduct experiments. There's a reason why businesses have a "you break it you buy it" policy. How would you feel if I came into your place of work and just started breaking stuff? That is the most inconsiderate thing I've heard of someone doing to prove a point. It still doesn't prove the type of metal that used so your experiment still doesn't prove anything. Plus without pictures or video we don't even know if you're telling the truth.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:33 AM   #210
Technarchy
macrumors 601
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
oh boo hoo
Classy.

Vandalism is moronic
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:10 AM   #211
eyecon82
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Seriously? Destroy your own property if you're going to conduct experiments. There's a reason why businesses have a "you break it you buy it" policy. How would you feel if I came into your place of work and just started breaking stuff? That is the most inconsiderate thing I've heard of someone doing to prove a point. It still doesn't prove the type of metal that used so your experiment still doesn't prove anything. Plus without pictures or video we don't even know if you're telling the truth.
"cry me a river", as justin timberlake once said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Classy.

Vandalism is moronic
so are some opinions on this thread....
eyecon82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:18 AM   #212
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
All I meant was that I don't want to hear the argument about the type of metal until some one digs up the proof.
Take the phone to a lab.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-ray_fluorescence
duneriderltr450 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:41 AM   #213
chambone
macrumors 6502a
 
chambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Seriously? Destroy your own property if you're going to conduct experiments. There's a reason why businesses have a "you break it you buy it" policy. How would you feel if I came into your place of work and just started breaking stuff? That is the most inconsiderate thing I've heard of someone doing to prove a point. It still doesn't prove the type of metal that used so your experiment still doesn't prove anything. Plus without pictures or video we don't even know if you're telling the truth.
Agree 100%. Upbringing deficiencies I imagine.
chambone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:46 AM   #214
teknikal90
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
"cry me a river", as justin timberlake once said



so are some opinions on this thread....
Scum.
Quotes Justin timberlake too.
I feel sorry for you
__________________
Logic Pro and Mainstage 3 User. I use iOS a lot.
teknikal90 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:47 AM   #215
chambone
macrumors 6502a
 
chambone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post
the proof is in the fact how easily it bends....I purposely bent one at an apple store just to see...it took quite a bit of pressure, but it still bent with my bare hands right at the volume rocker....
Did you damage their wooden table in the process as well?

Last edited by chambone; Dec 22, 2012 at 08:47 AM.
chambone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:57 AM   #216
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
I really wish some one would. I don't have access to that type of equipment.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:09 AM   #217
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintylerl View Post
Anyone bend their iPhone 5? Some how my phone bent by approx 10 degrees starting at the volume buttons.
Seriously? What are you complaining about? This is an amazingly wonderful new iPhone feature and they've patented it. The iPhone automatically molds itself to the contours of your body resulting in never before seen levels of ergonomics and comfort. It's like magic!

Ps. That's not a crack, that's a thermal vent which allows the iPhone to remain cool at all times...
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:12 PM   #218
robmasta47
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Gym

So I've had my iPhone 5 for about a month and its been great. Yesterday I brought my phone with me to the gym in my backpack and had it under the bench press that I was using. Somehow a 35lb plate fell off one of the rods and landed on the center right of the phone. At first I didn't see the bend but I did notice a few pink dots on my screen and was worried that something magnetic might have damaged the screen. Then I noticed the bend when I looked at the side of my phone. It has a slim belkin case on it and the screen didn't crack just a bend in the back aluminum piece and I think the glass on the top right is starting to protrude out of the aluminum side. I have verizon insurance so I can pay for a replacement.

My question is if the Asurion/Verizon replacement will be a crappy refurb like I've received for other phone models or if its going to be virtually the same thing.
robmasta47 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 07:32 AM   #219
qiUip
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I came to this thread as my iPhone 5 also bent and I am unsure how it happened, I definitely did not drop it, but it is normally in my front pocket and I could of leaned forward over some object like a desk or something of the sorts without noticing. I would expect any high quality product (or one that claims to be so) to be more durable than this, but I'm not going to go on a rant. It dose seem like there's quite a number of these case though, and with a 23 months still to go on my contract, it's rather annoying. Still phone is useable and I could live with it, but this dose seem to be a slight design flaw having such a weakness.

Anyway, the reason for me posting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
sit down. you lose

http://www.asminternational.org/pdf/.../tempering.pdf

read first paragraph
Sorry to bring this up again... I'm an engineer in the field of Aeronutics and don't have much knowledge in this area at all, and don't pretend to either.

I was quite interested by the discussion and just tried to make sense of this whole thing. What really really confuses me is, you provided a link with NO reference to 6061 alloy or the T6 process (it is a process I assume?) AND the second paragraph of your link states:

"Under certain conditions. hardness may remain unaffected by tempering or may even be increased as a result of it. For example, tempering a hardened steel at very low tempering temperatures may cause no change in hardness but may achieve a desired increase in yield strength. Also, those allo) steels that contain one or more of the carhide-forming elements (chromium. molybdenum. vanadium. and tungsten) are capable of secon- dq hardening: that is. they ma) become somewhat harder as a result of tempering." (sorry for spelling errors, copy/paste from scans isn't that great yet... check the link if it's unclear)

I can not see how what you provided gave ANY proof one way or another... I'm not saying you are wrong, or right, just that well, telling someone they lost by providing false facts doesn't really strengthen your point either.

I will now have to go and spend some time researching this myself (in the literature that is) as it's seriously bugging me.
qiUip is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:12 AM   #220
anhn27
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
got the same problem recently

copy and paste from other post just in case some find it useful:

we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo
anhn27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:17 AM   #221
eyecon82
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhn27 View Post
copy and paste from other post just in case some find it useful:

we went through the same ordeal yesterday: outer FedEx box was somewhat squished at one end, the inner bubble wrap inside had no air, but the iPhone5 box was in good shape, just minor dents here and there. However, the iPhone5 inside had a dent on the top of the volume down button and the device seemed to bent at that point.

called verizon cs a few times and they all asked to file a claim with FedEx. So we filed claim with FedEx as well. Didn't feel like verizon did its job to take care of its customer.

We took the damaged device to near by Apple store and they happily processed it under warranty. They simply swap out just device. We kept the original iPhone5 box and accessories.

Verizon, we're simply disappointed in the way your cs reps handled this case. Thumbs up to Apple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1W5NLIBIo
you probably just ended up with a refurb device....
eyecon82 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:32 AM   #222
Chris092881
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmasta47 View Post
So I've had my iPhone 5 for about a month and its been great. Yesterday I brought my phone with me to the gym in my backpack and had it under the bench press that I was using. Somehow a 35lb plate fell off one of the rods and landed on the center right of the phone. At first I didn't see the bend but I did notice a few pink dots on my screen and was worried that something magnetic might have damaged the screen. Then I noticed the bend when I looked at the side of my phone. It has a slim belkin case on it and the screen didn't crack just a bend in the back aluminum piece and I think the glass on the top right is starting to protrude out of the aluminum side. I have verizon insurance so I can pay for a replacement.

My question is if the Asurion/Verizon replacement will be a crappy refurb like I've received for other phone models or if its going to be virtually the same thing.
A buddy of mine got his white iPhone 5 replaced by Asurion recently and he got a sealed retailed box. Unfortunately it had scratches all over the bezel, which is another story entirely.
Chris092881 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2012, 01:36 AM   #223
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
This reminds me when I took a motorcycle safety class 4 years ago. They said that cheap aftermarket handlebars normally break in pieces while OEM handlebars bend.

Guess Apple does use high quality materials after all.


Sent from a Note 2.
cdmoore74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 09:53 PM   #224
ajt1995
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I have no explanation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	636.9 KB
ID:	421478  
ajt1995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:49 PM   #225
Bacong
macrumors 68000
 
Bacong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Westland, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Bacong Send a message via MSN to Bacong
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajt1995 View Post
I have no explanation.
looks pretty scratched and scuffed near the point of impact.
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | 128gb | Space Grey
PSN/Twitter: BaconDrips
Bacong is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bent iPhone 5! Ryan Burgess iPhone 131 Nov 6, 2013 08:07 AM
Another Bent iPhone velibor iPhone 27 Jun 24, 2013 07:22 AM
I bent my iPhone 5 iapplelove iPhone 54 Jun 21, 2013 06:16 AM
Bent iPhone 5 Aaronneil iPhone 70 Jan 27, 2013 05:28 PM
How can I tell if my iPhone 5 is bent? Myiphone7 iPhone 109 Nov 1, 2012 12:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC