Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:30 PM   #126
Oletros
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by See Flat View Post
why dont you tell us your heritage so we can say something completely stupid about them
I think you don't have understood what I have said
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:52 PM   #127
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhedges View Post
It doesn't matter that there was an oral contract, since no one seems to be challenging either the existence or the terms of the contract. Everyone seems to agree that there was a contract and that the contract called for 6% of the cost. The only dispute is how much the yacht actually cost to build, and a contract wouldn't help resolve that issue.
Reading the article again, it seems the contract was called "not formal," which does not necessarily mean "oral."

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 22, 2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Response to deleted content
IJ Reilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:57 PM   #128
herr_neumann
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to herr_neumann
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
Yeah, it's those greedy French folk. No open hearted, altruistic American designer/builder would ever complain about getting shorted 3.5 million dollars.
Better than getting shorted the same in EUROS which is the currency of this story....

herr_neumann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:27 PM   #129
Morshu9001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
I can't get over how ugly that thing is.
Same. Don't take it personally, designer, but that design is terrible.
Morshu9001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:35 PM   #130
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_neumann View Post
Better than getting shorted the same in EUROS which is the currency of this story....

Actually it was 2.7 million Euros, so I did the conversion (3.5 million dollars). Then I went back and checked the story, quoted below:

"The dispute seems to be related specifically to the cost of building the boat, with Starck claiming that the yacht was slated to cost EUR150 million while the Jobs family says that it only cost EUR105 million. The EUR45 million difference in prices means that Starck believes he is missing out on EUR2.7 million ($3.57 million) in design fees."

I did all this checking not to be an as******, but just to make sure that the dementia hadn't advanced too far!!!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:01 PM   #131
lanceh5
macrumors member

This is the most ugly boat I have seen. This needs to be hauled upon the beach and make it a restruant. Like they did with rail road dinning cars.
lanceh5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:24 PM   #132
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanceh5 View Post
This is the most ugly boat I have seen. This needs to be hauled upon the beach and make it a restruant. Like they did with rail road dinning cars.
Well of course you have your own opinion... but of course it is wrong. welcome to the internet.
prowlmedia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:44 PM   #133
DarwinOSX
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morshu9001 View Post
Same. Don't take it personally, designer, but that design is terrible.
Agree.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Speed View Post
He was paid for his service, not for a goods exchange. The designer had a verbal deal with Jobs. Jobs died. Designer continued to work without signing a contact with the estate holders to firmly establish his fee in writing. Cries when he doesn't get as much money as he thought he deserved.

I find it kinda hard to feel sorry for him.
Ditto.

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 22, 2012 at 04:21 AM. Reason: OT/PRSI
DarwinOSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:50 PM   #134
Chalkperson
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miknos View Post
I'm not familiar with design fees based on the construction price. Why Jobs didn't estimate a fixed price?
According to European reports on this matter, Starck says they did fix the price at $9 million...
Chalkperson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:36 PM   #135
AfternoonDelete
macrumors member

"...with Gilligan, the Skipper too... the Millionaire, and his wife..."
AfternoonDelete is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:25 PM   #136
newyorkone
macrumors member

Paid? Starck should be the one being arrested for designing a yacht that fugly.
newyorkone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:29 PM   #137
di1in
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
I can't get over how ugly that thing is.
That's because actually it is a miniature version of the ship we see in the movie "2012" .. Jobs wanted it ready by Dec 21st. Now that the 21st is over and nothing happened, they don't want it any more.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoontail View Post
The designer is apparently such a minimalist he skipped getting a written contract, which would have kept this matter out of the news and saved a lot of legal fees.

I'm surprised the French government hasn't gotten involved, as that's where most of the fee will go. If the fee is paid in 2013, as a french national, Starck will likely face a 75% tax rate
75% tax? What tax is that ??
di1in is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:35 PM   #138
Windlasher
macrumors 6502

HEY. Its me... Steve.

I am amazed that SJ could agree to something so friggin fugly. Not saying I would't live in the damed thing for the rest of my life, but holy bat crap it looks like a floating alien turd.

I think he couldn't have cared about the design. It's like the reason he didn't have a license plate on his car. EVERYONE in the free world will see that thing and know who it belonged to.

Last edited by OllyW; Dec 22, 2012 at 04:21 AM. Reason: OT/PRSI
Windlasher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:32 AM   #139
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502a

I like it.
NY Guitarist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:39 AM   #140
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Steve Jobs screwed people in life... and now in death too.
LoL be careful.... the Appstapo will come get you even if you speak the truth.
AFDoc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:25 AM   #141
OllyW

Moderator note:

Please keep the discussion on-topic.

We have the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum for political debate.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:51 AM   #142
blewyn
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
Pay him the lot in pennies.
Why ?
blewyn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:42 AM   #143
righteye
macrumors 6502

If Ikea made yachts......
righteye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:25 AM   #144
kas23
macrumors 603

I really know nothing about Laurene Powell, but what exactly is she going to do with this boat anyways? This seems more like Steve's big toy. What's she going to do, travel around the world in it alone?
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:40 AM   #145
johannar
Banned

Really

Ugliest Yacht I've seen so far..
johannar is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:14 PM   #146
greenmeanie
macrumors 6502a

That is one UGLY boat.
They should sue him for their money back.
greenmeanie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:17 PM   #147
Konrad
macrumors 6502

Beautiful vessel. Perhaps some of you with a taste for a hamburger, off the mill 2x4 suburban house with a saturn in a garage, local mall lifestyle - if you have seen this ship live, you would pee in your size 42 bags and uncontrollably drool on your t-shirt with something equally stupid on it. Now, the only item missing on it is a 429, or an EC-145.
Konrad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:29 PM   #148
tigress666
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Beautiful vessel. Perhaps some of you with a taste for a hamburger, off the mill 2x4 suburban house with a saturn in a garage, local mall lifestyle - if you have seen this ship live, you would pee in your size 42 bags and uncontrollably drool on your t-shirt with something equally stupid on it. Now, the only item missing on it is a 429, or an EC-145.
Or you know, beauty is subjective and what you might find gorgeous other people find butt ugly... You may even find stuff gorgeous that most people find butt ugly.

but nah, everyone thinks like you do and will totally like everything you do and hate everything you do. If they don't they just don't know better and just haven't seen it in the right light, right?

And for the record, I find it butt ugly but I like more streamlined designs. That thing looks too abrupt and like some one just drew some rectangles and said that was it, no thought into making lines blend or making some interesting angles and/or curves. I hate the mac dashboard, if it is going to run windows anyways he should have used a PC that would integrate better into the dashboard and not look like some one got lazy and just stuck a bunch of computers/monitors on top the dashboard. And I agree with a recent post above, it looks very Ikea like, and that's not a compliment (cheap furniture that looks great when you are first moving out but in general looks cheap as you get older and wiser).

It just doesn't even look well thought out. I won't say it wasn't cause maybe some one did put a lot of time but the look just comes off as lazy design even if it wasn't. And ugly on top.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:11 PM   #149
spcdust
macrumors 6502a

Very nice lines on that yacht, typical Phillipe Stark design. People do realise that Jobs would have obviously influenced and approved the design of his own yacht?

All pretty standard stuff this kind of thing when your talking big bucks - guess just pay Stark the price that was agreed - which will be the inevitable conclusion to this story.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:15 PM   #150
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad View Post
Beautiful vessel....
Until you're in heavy seas and a wave comes over the bow and hits that glass window wall of the superstructure.

I've spent a lot of time on +50m yachts, and none of them have had any doors facing forward (except for heavy steel waterproof hatches), and none of them have had vertical walls of glass that would take the full force of the waves.

There's a reason most super-yachts have a streamlined look. It's so that they'll stay afloat.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion