Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
After I had hastily gotten my 4S ready to ship out to a buyer, I just realized that I had forgotten that there were important files on it (app data) that I hadn't transferred to my 5! Thankfully, I have a recent iCloud backup of my 4S. How can I save that or export files from it without using it to setup a new phone? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
After I had hastily gotten my 4S ready to ship out to a buyer, I just realized that I had forgotten that there were important files on it (app data) that I hadn't transferred to my 5! Thankfully, I have a recent iCloud backup of my 4S. How can I save that or export files from it without using it to setup a new phone? Thanks in advance.

If it is app data you will have to restore from backup on a another phone.

The scary thought is you sent a phone to someone without resetting all content and data. I hope the apps on the phone aren't logged into any accounts?

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
If it is app data you will have to restore from backup on a another phone.

The scary thought is you sent a phone to someone without resetting all content and data. I hope the apps on the phone aren't logged into any accounts?

I think that what OP is saying is that the phone was reset, but they didn't transfer their data to their iPhone 5.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I think that what OP is saying is that the phone was reset, but they didn't transfer their data to their iPhone 5.

Yup. I wrote the post from my iPhone so sorry for the lack of clarity. I did already reset the 4S. However, after I had gotten my 5 I was still using my 4S for some music apps and ended up with data that I'd really prefer not to lose.

SaraLG

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2012
If anyone can help, please do!

When my little sister got a new iphone this christmas she synced her phone to one of my old icloud backups. Then she deleted all of my contacts from her new phone which in turn deleted them from mine.

Is there anyway to get my contacts back from an old icloud backup?

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
When my little sister got a new iphone this christmas she synced her phone to one of my old icloud backups. Then she deleted all of my contacts from her new phone which in turn deleted them from mine.

Is there anyway to get my contacts back from an old icloud backup?

If the backup from before your sister had deleted the contacts is in iCloud, you can choose to restore to that backup and lose anything else you may have done since that backup date, or it is possible you may have synced your contacts to your Mac Contacts app (or Windows equivalent) or likely an email account, so check your email directly through provider's sites since your full contact list could have been saved there as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.