Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dbhoward20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2012
Hey everyone I am new to ios Development and I am wanting to make a game based like Clash Of Clans/Kingdoms of Camelot. My primary question before I even start is do you need a server to store the players info such as how many resources they have and such? Or is this achieved with something like mysql? If it is server based could someone give me a link to a good company I could get a few servers through?

resetme

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Hi there, i haven't played Clash Of Clans/Kingdoms but it sounds like Travian. A server based game.

Well in that case you need a server to store all player data inside a DB, access (asp) or mysql(php). It's like making a global ranking system for a game, you store all player scores using mysql into a server(host).

But the problem from an async game using a mobile device is the internet, not everyone have access, so you can't play the game freely, some how you will have to block every possible move or action from the player until he have internet connection and update the stats from every user. Maybe if you save all the moves offline and then send it to the server when the user have access.

It's hard, because a browser game have internet access all the time. Other idea it's a 1 vs 1 game, so then you block the users moves waiting only for the other enemy and not the entire server/world.

Remember that apple do block apps that only use internet and don't advice about it.

Duncan C

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2008
Northern Virginia
Hey everyone I am new to ios Development and I am wanting to make a game based like Clash Of Clans/Kingdoms of Camelot. My primary question before I even start is do you need a server to store the players info such as how many resources they have and such? Or is this achieved with something like mysql? If it is server based could someone give me a link to a good company I could get a few servers through?

If you just need to save player info locally, you can certainly save it in an SQL database (or even a simple data file of some kind) on the device. You only need a server if you need to exchange data between users, or back it up remotely, or something like that.

As for server hosting companies, there are lots. We use 1and1.com. There's also GoDaddy and various others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.