Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AKM1989

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 21, 2012
I'm planning on getting an iMac 21.5 primarily for music production via logic, along with basic internet surfing and word processing. It's always been a dream of mine to produce electronic dance music, so my productions will eventually be pretty track heavy and dense. I've already decided to get 16 GB of ram, but will the fusion drive help as well? I want to make sure there's never any lag or CPU overload. Would the fusion drive help out with performance in logic? Thanks.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I'm pretty sure you would benefit as Logic would be run off the SSD if you use it a lot

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
Will you record to the internal driver or an external? I would assume that the fusion drive would increase overall performance. Optimally you should be recording to a good external drive over FireWire or better

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm banking on it...Went for the 3TB Fusion on my new iMac...from what I've seen on buddies new 21.5's with the smaller 1TB model, it's a pretty smart device...Just made for Apps like Logic, FCP etc.

themagicmonkey

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Recording Audio and Music production

Yes, especially if mixing big projects.

HI

I am hopeful you can all help - i'm new to Mac after years with custom built audio pc's and I have just taken delivery of a new 2012 27" Imac with 3Tb Fusion 16gb ram I7 processor etc. I just wondered if I am best adding 2 external thunderbolt drives for 1. recording to and 2. storing sample libraries like Superior Drummer and Native Instruments etc. My question is do I go for SSD drives for both or just thunderbolt 7200rpm drives. Or do I just have one extra TB drive for recording to and store all my samples on the fusion HDD. I doa fair about with VSTs as well as recording Audio on fairly track intensive songs with a Universal Audio Thunderbolt Appolo interface. Any help would be very much appreciated. Loving the I-Mac by the way - a thing of beauty!! Thanks Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.