Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loneoak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2012
I'm trying to set up a sound system centered around a set of Harman Kardon Soundsticks. There are two inputs: 1) AirPort Express (older, brick generation) for streaming from iOS and OS devices, and 2) a turntable with a line output. Since the Soundsticks only take one input via a 3.5mm aux jack, I need to use a splitter jack to get both inputs to the speakers. Here's the problem:

1) AirPort alone in splitter jack = system works
2) Turntable alone in splitter jack = system works
3) Turntable and AirPort both in splitter jack = AirPort works and Turntable does NOT work

In scenario 3) I can very faintly hear the turntable output as if it were not plugged into anything, just the unamplified vibrations of the needles. If I pull out the AirPort the turntable comes in full to the speakers.

If in scenario 3) I replace the Turntable with, say, my iPhone, the iPhone works. So it is not a problem with the hardware anywhere along the line, as far as I can tell.

I'm baffled, honestly. Could it be something like the AirPort is continusouly providing an output that is crowding out the analog signal into the line? But then why would the iPhone overcome that?

More to the point, does anyone have a solution?

[Also posted in Apple help forums]

howgee

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2013
I have the same problem: I'm trying to plug in 2 sources (MacBook and Airport Express) to my speakers via a splitter, and the AE seems to be severely distorting ("crowding out", as you put it) my MacBook output. When each of them is plugged in to the splitter separately, all is dandy.

I found that turning down the output of my non-AE source (MacBook, in my instance) helps reduce distortion a little bit, but not to a level that it can be properly listened to.

Anybody have a solution for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.