Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:12 PM   #1
forza69
macrumors 6502a

Will Apple ever release a backlit keyboard?

I'm getting a new 27 inch iMac as soon as they're available in stores, and I definitely need a backlit keyboard. I'm just wondering if Apple might be releasing one at some point as I like their minimalistic design and usual aluminum enclosures. Or does anyone know of a keyboard out now that's Appleesque that is backlit. TYIA.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:40 PM   #2
CtotheP
macrumors member

Who knows.....but I would comment that they are due for a keyboard/mouse refresh. Better ergonomics , etc...
CtotheP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:25 PM   #3
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/12/12/logit...ckpad-for-mac/
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctyrider View Post
No number pad, so not that different from the current Apple BT KB although the smart key function looks sort of useful...If the keys are spaced the same way the Apple BT offering is, they are too close together for me to use...mine is just sitting there on the desk...I went back to my wired KB a while back, but I do agree, it's about time we had something better.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
No number pad, so not that different from the current Apple BT KB.
The OP specifically asked for backlit keyboard, that's what this is. USB charging is also a nice improvement.. can't stand swapping out AA batteries on the existing one.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:53 PM   #6
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza69 View Post
I'm getting a new 27 inch iMac as soon as they're available in stores, and I definitely need a backlit keyboard. I'm just wondering if Apple might be releasing one at some point as I like their minimalistic design and usual aluminum enclosures. Or does anyone know of a keyboard out now that's Appleesque that is backlit. TYIA.
I know this might be a selfish reply, but why do you need a backlit keyboard? Once you know where all the keys are, you can definitely use it even in the dark. But then again, I've been using a keyboard since I was 9 years old, so I understand people who aren't that attached to keyboards wanting to look at the keyboard.

I would see a backlit keyboard workable on a wired Apple keyboard, but not a wireless one.

If you look at the way Apple operates, they always cater to the masses and apparently no one is complaining about not having a backlit keyboard on the external keyboard.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAVE View Post
If you look at the way Apple operates, they always cater to the masses and apparently no one is complaining about not having a backlit keyboard on the external keyboard.
Really? Then why do they make backlit keyboards on MacBooks?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #8
torana355
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I know this might be a selfish reply, but why do you need a backlit keyboard? Once you know where all the keys are, you can definitely use it even in the dark. But then again, I've been using a keyboard since I was 9 years old, so I understand people who aren't that attached to keyboards wanting to look at the keyboard.

I would see a backlit keyboard workable on a wired Apple keyboard, but not a wireless one.

I personally would love an Apple backlit keyboard, my MBAs backlit keyboard has spoiled me.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #9
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Because the keyboard is not external? Also they have more room to fit an extra layer for the lights.

Apple always looks at the bottom line. If it was needed, they would do it. They don't make random decisions, it's all very strategic.

Also I'm curious as to how many people use the backlight on the MBP, I surely don't. It makes it a bit hotter to use.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:49 PM   #10
forza69
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

I don't need it, I just like the option. I can type fine without looking at the keyboard, but in the past I've had to get up close if I can't see a special key. The letters I remember, but the F keys or the number keys (no number pad) always give me a hard time when I'm trying to type fast.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:46 PM   #11
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Because the keyboard is not external? Also they have more room to fit an extra layer for the lights.
Ok, your statements aren't making any sense whatsoever. The benefits of backlit keyboard are the same, whether it's an external or laptop keyword. There are no more space constraints to fit LED backlighting in an external keyboard versus MacBook Air.

I, for one, would love my desktop keyboard to be backlit.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:14 AM   #12
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Ok, your statements aren't making any sense whatsoever. The benefits of backlit keyboard are the same, whether it's an external or laptop keyword. There are no more space constraints to fit LED backlighting in an external keyboard versus MacBook Air.

I, for one, would love my desktop keyboard to be backlit.
Making sense and being ideal are two different things. What are you trying to say?

Point is, if Apple wanted to make one, they would.

Apple is moving towards wireless, that's why the iMacs include Wireless (sans numpad) keyboards and mice. Unless there are special LED lights that don't take up much energy are being developed, Apple would not include them in the wireless keyboards.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:43 AM   #13
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Unless there are special LED lights that don't take up much energy are being developed, Apple would not include them in the wireless keyboards.
There is no technological challenge whatsoever in including LED backlighting in a small form-factor wireless keyboard.. as evidenced by Logitech keyboard and Apple's own MacBook Air.

It's likely Apple is just trying to shave a few bucks off the BT KB production cost. You are wrong in thinking that every little thing that Apple does is some part of grand thought out strategy.

Last edited by ctyrider; Dec 22, 2012 at 12:48 AM.
ctyrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:13 AM   #14
Ice-Cube
macrumors 6502a

I'm using the Moshi one. It doesn't look very Apple-ish but its still sleek by my standards. Full backlit with numpad too.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:25 AM   #15
GrandPhrase
macrumors 6502

I think the reason why they didn't make a backlit keyboard for the desktop Macs is because desktops are usually in one place and not moving around. And in that case, they are usually in a room with light available.

The Macbooks have backlits to use in a dim room - the dim light is probably from the front presentation screen (with main lights off) - probably would not have a presentation with people using desktops to take notes - and people would probably not use their computers in a totally pitch black area as it would hurt their eyes (only would use usually in a dim or fully lit room)
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:30 AM   #16
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There is no technological challenge whatsoever in including LED backlighting in a small form-factor wireless keyboard.. as evidenced by Logitech keyboard and Apple's own MacBook Air.

It's likely Apple is just trying to shave a few bucks off the BT KB production cost. You are wrong in thinking that every little thing that Apple does is some part of grand thought out strategy.
Who do you know from Apple?

I have many friends who have worked on their design team at Cupertino, so I would take their word for it.

Also Apple is a design centric company, with principles ranging from the Bauhaus teachings to German minimalism. Compared to many other companies who look at profit first then design, Apple is a very different animal.

With Apple, the Design team always triumphs the engineering team (it's the other way around with other companies).
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:27 AM   #17
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

It might be nice as an ipad accessory, but do you see yourself using a desktop in the dark often? I can see the case for a laptop where you can be anywhere, less so for a desktop which should be in a lit room most of the time.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:04 AM   #18
mslide
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Because people use laptops in all different types of areas and some of those might not be well lit nor do you sometimes have any control of the lighting where you are. External keyboards are typically used at a desk or work space where there is usually adequate lighting.

I don't see Apple doing this. It's not like people aren't going to buy Macs simply because of this. MacBooks are different. People indeed might not buy MacBooks if they didn't have backlit keyboards. My suggestion to the OP... buy a lamp (seriously, I'm not being a smart ass).
mslide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:13 AM   #19
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Who do you know from Apple?

I have many friends who have worked on their design team at Cupertino, so I would take their word for it. Also Apple is a design centric company, with principles ranging from the Bauhaus teachings to German minimalism. Compared to many other companies who look at profit first then design, Apple is a very different animal. <blah blah blah>
No one, but neither do you. You keep pontificating about Apple being a design-centric company, as if it was some kind of deep revelation that no one knew about.. However, you fail to explain what in your opinion would constitute deviation from Apple's design principles, if they added backlighting to BT keyboard. I am looking at Logitech Apple keyboard, and it's perfectly well designed. MacBook Air keyboard is perfectly well designed. This has nothing to do with "design".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post
Because people use laptops in all different types of areas and some of those might not be well lit nor do you sometimes have any control of the lighting where you are. External keyboards are typically used at a desk or work space where there is usually adequate lighting.
I have my desktop in a den, and sometimes I like to use it during the early morning and late night without turning on the room lights. I like to keep my desk minimalistic and I don't want a desk lamp. Clearly, there are reasons why some people want this feature from their keyboards - else we wouldn't see Logitech, Microsoft and many others making them.

I don't understand why people keep arguing that just because they don't need backlighting in their keyboards, no one else should need it either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mslide View Post
My suggestion to the OP... buy a lamp (seriously, I'm not being a smart ass)
That's silly. OP can buy one of several backlit keyboards by other vendors. I personally will be getting Logitech EasySwitch keyboard when it ships.

Last edited by ctyrider; Dec 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM.
ctyrider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Sound214
macrumors regular

I would bet large money that they will indeed release a backlit keyboard. Someday.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:13 AM   #21
majkom
macrumors 6502a

This thread clearly documents why apple community is often branded as sheeps, wtf are those posts about no need for bl keyboard? I do have mb aor and imac, if there was bl kb for imac that would be awesome. Those advising lamp - is that so hard to imagine situation when no light is possoble? Omg, bunch of self centric sheeps here... Miss days apple was computer company without those all knowing sheeps
majkom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:41 PM   #22
SDAVE
macrumors 68020

Quote:
No one, but neither do you. You keep pontificating about Apple being a design-centric company, as if it was some kind of deep revelation that no one knew about.. However, you fail to explain what in your opinion would constitute deviation from Apple's design principles, if they added backlighting to BT keyboard. I am looking at Logitech Apple keyboard, and it's perfectly well designed. MacBook Air keyboard is perfectly well designed. This has nothing to do with "design".

I have my desktop in a den, and sometimes I like to use it during the early morning and late night without turning on the room lights. I like to keep my desk minimalistic and I don't want a desk lamp. Clearly, there are reasons why some people want this feature from their keyboards - else we wouldn't see Logitech, Microsoft and many others making them.

I don't understand why people keep arguing that just because they don't need backlighting in their keyboards, no one else should need it either!

That's silly. OP can buy one of several backlit keyboards by other vendors. I personally will be getting Logitech EasySwitch keyboard when it ships.
No one's reading what you wrote.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:06 PM   #23
ctyrider
macrumors 6502

Quote:
LOL. What a deeply thought out response. Par for the course with everything else you wrote in this thread
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:22 PM   #24
Katieg-fm
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
It might be nice as an ipad accessory, but do you see yourself using a desktop in the dark often? I can see the case for a laptop where you can be anywhere, less so for a desktop which should be in a lit room most of the time.
I use my mini in my living room as home theatre often. I would love backlit apple keyboard for when I am switching videos, etc with lights down. I would also like easy Bluetooth switching do I could use it for m iPad too.
Katieg-fm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:35 PM   #25
07dodge
macrumors member

Quote:
I didů

And the person that starts an argument with "who do you know at____(enter company of choice here)?" is usually the one fullest of crap
07dodge is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals