Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I have a new iPhone 5 AT&T. About 1 out of 10 times when I leave one of the two wifi connections I use daily (home, work), it will not make the data connection to LTE/4G properly. The LTE or 4G indicator shows connected and I CAN make phone calls, but the data connection will not work until I toggle airplane or cell off/on. After manually toggling cell off/on, it works fine. This is an intermittent problem.

I searched but didn't see this exact issue being discussed. Does this sound like a device or AT&T issue? Should I exchange the phone?

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
Thanks. The iphone is up to date as far as software (6.01), and per AT&T the settings are correct. It's a brand new factory install of IOS. I've rebooted and pulled the sim.

I called AT&T and they were not familiar with this problem. Said it was likely a device issue.

I called Apple and they had no 'emerging trends' on this issue, so they said it was likely an AT&T issue. They sent me the diagnostic email and it reported no issues.

I'll keep monitoring it and may take it to a genius when i'm in the area.

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I made a genius bar appointment after this happened again while traveling in texas. the problem has not happened since the update.

the genius said his phone had done the same thing. he was not sure of the recent wifi update, but said that may be related. the phone checked out fine, so I left.

on a side note, haylee williams of paramore was in the apple store while i was talking to the genius.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
I always loved it when AT&T and Apple pointed their fingers at each other.

Did you get a chance to talk to Haylee? Was she as cute in person? That is so cool!

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I always loved it when AT&T and Apple pointed their fingers at each other.

Did you get a chance to talk to Haylee? Was she as cute in person? That is so cool!

My friend recognized her despite her stocking cap and plain look. I would have never recognized her. she was obviously trying to look normal with a stocking cap, but the orange hair stands out. She is only about 5' tall and was shopping for some kind of accessories (speakers or something) in the section near the back of the store.

The other apple staff confirmed it was her. they said not to talk to her in the store or someone would probably ask us to leave (this was said in a friendly manner, but it appears to be the way they handle famous people in the stores).

This was in Franklin/Nashville, which is paramore's home town.

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
My friend recognized her despite her stocking cap and plain look. I would have never recognized her. she was obviously trying to look normal with a stocking cap, but the orange hair stands out. She is only about 5' tall and was shopping for some kind of accessories (speakers or something) in the section near the back of the store.

The other apple staff confirmed it was her. they said not to talk to her in the store or someone would probably ask us to leave (this was said in a friendly manner, but it appears to be the way they handle famous people in the stores).

This was in Franklin/Nashville, which is paramore's home town.

Yep, totally understandable, and we would probably want the same thing if we were famous. Might be cool at first but would get old after a while! Thanks for the info, and good luck with your 4G/LTE issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.