Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:16 AM   #1
FordUniver
macrumors newbie

Huge difference in lag between ATV and AE

Hey everyone,

I have noticed a hugely different lag when using AirPlay between the ATV with an external DAC and the Airport Express with analog output. The ATV is (almost) instantaneous and the AE has 1-2 seconds delay. Does anyone know the reason for this? Is it just the device or could it be related to the DAC?

Last edited by FordUniver; Nov 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM.
FordUniver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Jackintosh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordUniver View Post
Hey everyone,

I have noticed a hugely different lag when using AirPlay between the ATV with an external DAC and the Airport Express with analog output. The ATV is (almost) instantaneous and the AE has 1-2 seconds delay. Does anyone know the reason for this? Is it just the device or could it be related to the DAC?
I'm not sure what lag you mean... from the time you press play on your remote until sound is heard from the speakers?

The AE has to do it's own digital to audio conversion vs. ATV sending the signal immediately to the amp to do that (when using an optical interconnect). It could be that the AE internal DAC is slower in processing than your amp. Also ATV has an internal memory buffer, which might make it faster.

Last edited by Jackintosh; Dec 9, 2012 at 08:48 AM.
Jackintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 08:46 AM   #3
waw74
macrumors 68020

a DAC will not have any noticeable delay.

how and what are you airplaying?
are you sending video to the aTV?

video/audio airplay and audio airplay are handled in 2 different ways.

audio only has about a 2 second delay due to buffering.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
AtomicGrog
macrumors member

Have same issue when playing iTunes or vlc sourced Audio on my MBP to an old Airport Express.

Lag is in the order of 4-5 seconds (most noticable when you switch on multiple audio output in iTunes).

Suspect there's a standards issue here isn't one using Airplay (The ATv) and the other Airtunes (The AE). Airtunes wouldn't be worrying so much about audio/video sync and my well have different caching/sync buffers on the AE.
AtomicGrog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:31 AM   #5
rneglia
macrumors regular

I have an ATV and an AE using AirPlay in two adjacent rooms. There's only about a tenth of a second difference between them, but the effect is infuriating.
rneglia is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater