Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It doesn't matter that there was an oral contract, since no one seems to be challenging either the existence or the terms of the contract. Everyone seems to agree that there was a contract and that the contract called for 6% of the cost. The only dispute is how much the yacht actually cost to build, and a contract wouldn't help resolve that issue.

Reading the article again, it seems the contract was called "not formal," which does not necessarily mean "oral."

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Better than getting shorted the same in EUROS which is the currency of this story....

;)

Actually it was 2.7 million Euros, so I did the conversion (3.5 million dollars). Then I went back and checked the story, quoted below:

"The dispute seems to be related specifically to the cost of building the boat, with Starck claiming that the yacht was slated to cost EUR150 million while the Jobs family says that it only cost EUR105 million. The EUR45 million difference in prices means that Starck believes he is missing out on EUR2.7 million ($3.57 million) in design fees."

I did all this checking not to be an as******, but just to make sure that the dementia hadn't advanced too far!!! ;) :D

lanceh5

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2007
This is the most ugly boat I have seen. This needs to be hauled upon the beach and make it a restruant. Like they did with rail road dinning cars.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Same. Don't take it personally, designer, but that design is terrible.

Agree.

----------

He was paid for his service, not for a goods exchange. The designer had a verbal deal with Jobs. Jobs died. Designer continued to work without signing a contact with the estate holders to firmly establish his fee in writing. Cries when he doesn't get as much money as he thought he deserved.

I find it kinda hard to feel sorry for him.

Ditto.

di1in

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
I can't get over how ugly that thing is.

That's because actually it is a miniature version of the ship we see in the movie "2012" .. Jobs wanted it ready by Dec 21st. Now that the 21st is over and nothing happened, they don't want it any more.

----------

The designer is apparently such a minimalist he skipped getting a written contract, which would have kept this matter out of the news and saved a lot of legal fees.

I'm surprised the French government hasn't gotten involved, as that's where most of the fee will go. If the fee is paid in 2013, as a french national, Starck will likely face a 75% tax rate :eek:

75% tax? What tax is that ??:confused:

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
HEY. Its me... Steve.

I am amazed that SJ could agree to something so friggin fugly. Not saying I would't live in the damed thing for the rest of my life, but holy bat crap it looks like a floating alien turd.

I think he couldn't have cared about the design. It's like the reason he didn't have a license plate on his car. EVERYONE in the free world will see that thing and know who it belonged to.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I really know nothing about Laurene Powell, but what exactly is she going to do with this boat anyways? This seems more like Steve's big toy. What's she going to do, travel around the world in it alone?

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Beautiful vessel. Perhaps some of you with a taste for a hamburger, off the mill 2x4 suburban house with a saturn in a garage, local mall lifestyle - if you have seen this ship live, you would pee in your size 42 bags and uncontrollably drool on your t-shirt with something equally stupid on it. Now, the only item missing on it is a 429, or an EC-145.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Beautiful vessel. Perhaps some of you with a taste for a hamburger, off the mill 2x4 suburban house with a saturn in a garage, local mall lifestyle - if you have seen this ship live, you would pee in your size 42 bags and uncontrollably drool on your t-shirt with something equally stupid on it. Now, the only item missing on it is a 429, or an EC-145.

Or you know, beauty is subjective and what you might find gorgeous other people find butt ugly... You may even find stuff gorgeous that most people find butt ugly.

but nah, everyone thinks like you do and will totally like everything you do and hate everything you do. If they don't they just don't know better and just haven't seen it in the right light, right? ;)

And for the record, I find it butt ugly but I like more streamlined designs. That thing looks too abrupt and like some one just drew some rectangles and said that was it, no thought into making lines blend or making some interesting angles and/or curves. I hate the mac dashboard, if it is going to run windows anyways he should have used a PC that would integrate better into the dashboard and not look like some one got lazy and just stuck a bunch of computers/monitors on top the dashboard. And I agree with a recent post above, it looks very Ikea like, and that's not a compliment (cheap furniture that looks great when you are first moving out but in general looks cheap as you get older and wiser).

It just doesn't even look well thought out. I won't say it wasn't cause maybe some one did put a lot of time but the look just comes off as lazy design even if it wasn't. And ugly on top.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Very nice lines on that yacht, typical Phillipe Stark design. People do realise that Jobs would have obviously influenced and approved the design of his own yacht?

All pretty standard stuff this kind of thing when your talking big bucks - guess just pay Stark the price that was agreed - which will be the inevitable conclusion to this story.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Beautiful vessel....

Until you're in heavy seas and a wave comes over the bow and hits that glass window wall of the superstructure.

I've spent a lot of time on +50m yachts, and none of them have had any doors facing forward (except for heavy steel waterproof hatches), and none of them have had vertical walls of glass that would take the full force of the waves.

There's a reason most super-yachts have a streamlined look. It's so that they'll stay afloat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.