Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHailCarlo

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
I had a blackberry, then had the 1st Droid, as soon as Verizon got the iPhone 4 that was it for me. Now I got the iPhone 5 and never been happier. I have everything in the house hooked to Apple iTunes so this just works best for me.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
i miss android a lot. htc one X had a way better camera and screen res. the "retina" display is nicer zoomed in howerver. but the lack of widgets, notification bar, weather on the home screen, desktops, different launchers iOS seems sooooo childish. i see my little sister with it and im embarassed as hell that it has to look this way. i remmeber on an iphone 3 i modded for a friend we got a sick black and white theme to make it look really elegant but this iphone 5 is my first iphone and im just kinda eh with it. its SO stupid how i cant type in a name in the dialer i have to go into the contacts > type a name it> click their name>select either call or text; like come on

even worse is the lack of a menu in ... anything. no menu in safari/apps/ no settings anywhere. want to enable private browsing ? go back into the home screen and do it. i miss the built in photo editor. want to turn a pic you just took into black and white ? go get and app for it. like um what ? cant the built in camera just have a damn filter to take different shades and exposure ? jellybean 4.2 is miles ahead of ios6. an app drawer is much nicer then all your apps splattered on a 5 row screen of apps

what i do like is the smoothness, how quickly the home button makes you quit any app immediatly. words with friends in the only app that crashes on me. but thats all it does crashes, no error report no reason as to why so no trouble shooting. apple does not want you to mess with anything ! and they did that because these little teenage girls are the biggest market for the phone. cant make google chrome my default browser, cant disable stock native mail app , its all locked down to no end.

battery life is amazing tho haha love having the phone still with like 3 hours left at 1am. good for going to parties. very elegant phone. and thats my take on android vs iphone 5

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Using an iPad 3 earlier made me angry. I spent ages (minutes) trying to work out how to go into private browsing. Quit app, open settings and go through the settings there...really apple?!?! Even then I went back into Safari and it had turned some deranged black colour.

on Android it's just Menu Button > Incognito. Bam

Really don't understand people who think iOS is intuitive

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
Using an iPad 3 earlier made me angry. I spent ages (minutes) trying to work out how to go into private browsing. Quit app, open settings and go through the settings there...really apple?!?! Even then I went back into Safari and it had turned some deranged black colour.

I know. Closing the app and then Settings>Safari>Private Browsing On/Off is incredibly difficult and cumbersome. :rolleyes:

Wow, it's one maybe two extra hits of the screen. Again, what a chore.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
yes but when every app requires the same action to do anything useful (quit out, open settings, go back) then...yeah it is a chore.

I suppose you apple bumsters are used to it though

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
yes but when every app requires the same action to do anything useful (quit out, open settings, go back) then...yeah it is a chore.

I suppose you apple bumsters are used to it though

I actually came over to Apple after being with Android for 3+ years. Honestly, I don't really have any hate or reason to rip on Android. I enjoyed their product, especially my Droid X.

That said, I like the iPhone 5 better than anything Android I ever had.

I think the Apple/IOS haters just nit pick everything. Yeah, clicking on two extra "icons" is a chore. Right. If you know what you're doing it's not really any more cumbersome and would take literally and extra 5 seconds. Wow. That's a deal breaker for me.

But hey, that's your opinion and that's fine. You don't like Apple/IOS and have chosen Android and obviously prefer it. Good for you. Glad you are happy with your device/OS.

Twenty5

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
So surprised to see this thread..

I am currently contemplating switching back to the iPhone. Some months ago (june to be exact) I purchased my first android phone: the HTC One X.

After a big pile of positive user reviews I was very attracted to the One X. One of the biggest reasons I switched was because iOS started to feel a bit stale (at least for me..). I have owned and used every single iPhone since the original iPhone 2G so I thought that it was completely normal to have feelings "sickness" after having used pretty much the same device (though in different iterations) for so long.

Long story short, my HTC One X stopped working last week. I was at work minding my own business when I suddenly pick up the phone and the screen wouldn't turn on. I could still see the bottom LEDs working and even the phone unlock/volume sounds. Just no picture whatsoever. I immediately feared the worse, a broken display or a toasted board.

I did have my phone rooted and running a custom ROM (the most stable one though). I know that some people will say that I ruined my phone because of the custom ROM, but IMO it was the only way to truly enjoy the phone. Plus lots of people were running it and they had absolutely no problems.

When my One X stopped working, I was furious. I really wanted to give Android a chance and when this happened, it kind of finished a mental picture that I had about all the things that I hate about android.

I even took the phone to the customer repair center in hopes that they would give me a replacement unit or something along those lines but they ended up giving me a crap phone for me to use in the meantime while they were repairing it. I felt like someone had given me a punch right in the stomach. HTC is not doing so well financially, I knew that before getting the One X. But I still wanted to give them a try simply because I wanted to believe in them. HTC could have just given me a brand new One X or at least a better "for the meantime use" unit. Instead, they make me wait for four days using this awful phone and tell me to give them time to get it fixed.

This would definitely not be the case if I had an iPhone..

Well.. Im picking up my One X from the customer center tomorrow and I am planning to sell it and buy an iPhone 5 right after.

I wanted to believe. I really did. But its time for me to wake up and realize that nothing can beat Apple when it comes to quality and excellent customer service.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
How many on screen time did you get?

I see Android forums they don't expect more than 3 hours! WTF! I could easily get double that on iOS

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...s-4-battery-life-horrible-major-drainage.html

The most on screen time I got with the Nexus 4 was 4 hours. I literally had to micro manage the phone ALL day long. I even had NFC and Google Now shut off. Why have a feature rich phone and have to shut things off...just silly.

i REALLY want to come back to iOS from android, i hate android, the clunky OS, app crashed and reboots because the phone wont turn its network connection back on are annoying..

HOWEVER

i can not live with the iPhones pathetic battery life, MY S2 lets me use it for 22-24 hrs from undocking in the morning, to charging overnight when i plug it in next to my bed, usually 16 hrs is 100%-30% charge, other than the original iPhone, the 3G, 3GS, 4 and 4S never got me past 8hrs before it was flat.

The main reason I left Android was horrible battery life
iP5 has incredible battery life over the 4 and 4S so you might look into the iP5 instead.
I can easily get through a hard heavy usage day. Plus I have a charger in the car so it's all good

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I went from 4S to S3 to i5.. The S3 is a very nice phone but Android OS as a whole doesnt feel complete to me. Plus i missed the Apple App store very much, Google play is full of garbage apps it pissed me off lol

----------

There are plenty of die hard fans who see it as a lagging.

Strategic Choice? It's becoming very apparent how dated iOS is...

Just needs a UI refresh and some added features and everyone will be claiming that its the next holy grail again

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Just needs a UI refresh and some added features and everyone will be claiming that its the next holy grail again

That's kind of what the last few revisions have been - I think people are smarter now. Apple are going to really mix things up next time round or people are just going to start to loose interest.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I really hope the next version of iOS changes it a little. I think after 5 years on nigh on the same we need a little "something", what I don't know, that's Apples job to tell me!

Been messing with daughters iPhone 4 tonight. I will defo miss keyboard, seems so small on her screen, take the iPhone 5's will be exact same as is same width?

Also the shortcuts to WiFi, BT etc. I remember it bugging me, or is it ok to leave them both on mow even when not connected? Does it affect battery life much? I know on my S3 I turn off WiFi when not needed a) as its so easy and quick to, b) it seems to be searching all the time, and so wastes battery, eg walking along street, and trying to connect to people's WiFi, this must waste battery?

Also sharing, on my S3, it easy to share anything, eg whatever or wherever I am, there's a button to share and the list is massive, email, BT, apps that you install eg whatsapp, WiFi direct etc. iPhone seems limited to email, or social c**p.

Liked the fluidity though, the screen is nice, like the camera volume button for taking. Is the camera good on iPhone 5? For vids and stills? Read on web it's not as good as people hoped for the upgrade?

Will be playing with one tomorrow at shop so we'll see.....

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I think you'll miss it S3 if you switch back, because it sounds like you're very used to the plus's of having android.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
Well went to the shop,today, played with a display unit, which was fixed to a stand so couldn't "feel" it properly in my hand, I didn't get long enough really though, 5-10mins at most.

The S3 is massive next to the iPhone 5 I have to say, the physical size is much better. The screen I was trying to judge between the two of them, there was, as expected, a big difference. The iPhone 5 screen did look really sharp and bright, although it was on max brightness as expected in shop, I turned it down to about 70% and it dulled a lot, maybe as auto brightness was on in the brightly lot shop?

There was a nexus 4 beside it, the screen looks great have to say, but I think that is physically bigger than my S3, love the animations going through home screens.

So I didn't buy as was told "get a move on more Xmas shopping required!" So I'm still undecided....

I think I can get over the apps, the widgets, possibly the pull down shortcuts, just still unsure on screen size. I'm also hoping Jonny changes the iOS a bit for some of the clear frustrations (pull down shortcuts etc).

What is the screen like outside on an iPhone 5? My S3 in sunshine (when we get it here in UK!), is really bad, not being able to see it.

Talked to the assistant, PAYG is £500 for the 16Gb, and £600 or the 32Gb. Eventually when I sell I'll get it unlocked which will cost £15 (from Apple shop would be better, but its a car ride, and I can't drive at mo, but selling my S3 will hopefully get me around £275.

b0bab0i

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012

Download Google Chrome. You can choose private browsing in the app.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
iPhone 4 > Galaxy S2 > HTC Sensation > HTC One X > Galaxy Note > Galaxy Nexus > Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5.

Those in bold were mistakes. Expensive mistakes.

Within a day of having the iPhone 5 I felt completely at home.

If it wasn't laggy homescreens or apps chewing away battery life in the background, having to root and install custom roms to remove bloatware or generally have many poorly performing apps.... I will never EVER bother with Android again. And I was flying the torch for it. I saw so much potential but I just cannot see Google being firm in it's delivery. It will be a scattered mess forever.

iOS has it's limitations but nowhere near as bad as they were when I was on iOS 4 previously.

Even the little things like emoji and stock messaging app are like crack ....even on Jellybean they never performed the way they should.

The S3 has a superb camera, it has many more options than the iPhone 5 but for pure point and click value, my iP5 is knocking out some superb pics without effort and sharing them has been a great experience with photostream and such.

Apple have got me. I actually resent them as a business and their practices, but I just cannot deny all they do is a pleasure to be involved with.

I am really struggling to see how they can improve on the 5 though. The 5S will surely be a sidegrade more than anything.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
iPhone 4 > Galaxy S2 > HTC Sensation > HTC One X > Galaxy Note > Galaxy Nexus > Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5.

Those in bold were mistakes. Expensive mistakes.

Within a day of having the iPhone 5 I felt completely at home.

If it wasn't laggy homescreens or apps chewing away battery life in the background, having to root and install custom roms to remove bloatware or generally have many poorly performing apps.... I will never EVER bother with Android again. And I was flying the torch for it. I saw so much potential but I just cannot see Google being firm in it's delivery. It will be a scattered mess forever.

iOS has it's limitations but nowhere near as bad as they were when I was on iOS 4 previously.

Even the little things like emoji and stock messaging app are like crack ....even on Jellybean they never performed the way they should.

The S3 has a superb camera, it has many more options than the iPhone 5 but for pure point and click value, my iP5 is knocking out some superb pics without effort and sharing them has been a great experience with photostream and such.

Apple have got me. I actually resent them as a business and their practices, but I just cannot deny all they do is a pleasure to be involved with.

I am really struggling to see how they can improve on the 5 though. The 5S will surely be a sidegrade more than anything.

What about the Galaxy Nexus? Isn't it as close to a bonafied virgin Google phone?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
My wife has an android, GS3. There's definitely a strategic reason why Apple doesn't have all the bells and whistles as Android. In fact Jelly Bean is a copy of iOS in my opinion.

iOS is as smooth as a babies behind. Ok it doesn't have all the bells and whistles but iOS is defiantly more polished because it doesn't have all the crap. Yes iOS is simpler but simpler makes it smooth and polished.

I'd like to know what a true vanilla virgin Google device is like, the Nexus 4 as an example or the GSM Galaxy Nexus?

bmt134

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
Had an iPhone 4. Upgraded to iPhone 5. Traded for a Galaxy Note 2. Not going back to iOS ever again.

DanBurns91

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2012
West Midlands, England
iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S3 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 5

I was an Apple user for a very long time and when the S3 came out i couldn't help myself and sold my 4S, bought the s3. It was great at first with the widgets etc, but after obsessing over the home screen and realising widgets aren't as useful as you convinced yourself they were gonna be (Most you have to manually tap to update, in which case your best off just launching the full app, which makes widgets pointless) i went back to iOS, its only when you lose something you realise how good it is! Sure its minimal but I rather the minimalism if its going to sync seamlessly with my iPad, iPod touch and MacBook!

MsvSpaz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2011
I went from an iPhone 4 to an HTC One X which is a great phone, apart from the battery. I really like the Android OS and would be more than happy to use it for daily use, but when the handset Gyro sensor failed after one month and I had to wait 4 weeks for them to return the handset saying they could not replicate the fault, then wait another 2 weeks for a replacement handset. It made me realise Apple's biggest draw card, which is customer service. When my iPhone failed I had a replacement within 5 minutes. So am back to ios with an iPhone 5 and very happy, but there are definitely parts of Android I miss and I think that if the manufacturers could offer me comparable customer service then I would definitely be using one of their handsets.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
What about the Galaxy Nexus? Isn't it as close to a bonafied virgin Google phone?

It was a vanilla Google phone. Had pure Android on it but the camera was dire. Absolutely terrible.

Google need to stop all of these alternate skins getting used. Touchwizz, Sense etc

They bloat and ruin the essence of Android. By all means let them have their own custom widgets, apps etc but the problem these stupid launchers cause is beyond annoying. The amount of ram available to devs differs from phone to phone. Not just in hardware specs, but what blasted interface the manufacturers have tacked over the top.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.