Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
jkauff
macrumors member

Great results from iPhone 5 Restore!

I did a full disk backup last night, and then did a Restore on my iPhone 5. The process reinstalled my firmware and iOS 6.02. Immediately my Verizon "Invalid SIM" problem and my iOS 6.02 update battery drain issues went away, and for the first time ever I can sync to iTunes wirelessly. I feel like I have a brand new phone.

I don't recommend this for everyone, because you still have to re-upload your music library and various other things that aren't part of the backup, but if you're having any of the same problems I was, go for it!
jkauff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2
JetBlack7
macrumors 68000

Many people complain about their iDevice being slow, buggy and so on. A simple restore "as new" will fix every bug you might encounter, even the very popular "Wi Fi bug" many complain about. Everytime an update comes out, I restore from scratch. Much better than overwriting an update.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:06 PM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

When you do do you just add back your apps back manually or do you do a restore from backup.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:07 PM   #4
bhigh8
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
When you do do you just add back your apps back manually or do you do a restore from backup.
yes, i would like to know this as well.
bhigh8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:09 PM   #5
jkauff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
iTunes automatically re-loaded my apps to the phone at the end of the process. The files in each app's file system were in the backup and restored as part of the backup restore.

Oh, BTW, backup to disk not to iCloud.

Last edited by jkauff; Dec 22, 2012 at 02:15 PM.
jkauff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:18 PM   #6
tann
macrumors 65816

So did you first restore fresh (like through iTunes).

Then restore from the backup (which you backed up to your computer just before)? Otherwise how did iTunes know what to sync and stuff?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:51 AM   #7
jkauff
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
So did you first restore fresh (like through iTunes).

Then restore from the backup (which you backed up to your computer just before)? Otherwise how did iTunes know what to sync and stuff?
Yes, that's exactly what I did. iTunes keeps a copy of all your apps on your computer. After the restore, it automatically re-installed just the ones I had on my phone before doing the backup and restore.
jkauff is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:59 PM   #8
darster
macrumors 68000

If you want to do a real restore to make sure problems are gone, restore as new, not from backup. If bugs are in backup, and you restore from backup, you dont fix the problem.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:44 PM   #9
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
If you want to do a real restore to make sure problems are gone, restore as new, not from backup. If bugs are in backup, and you restore from backup, you dont fix the problem.
But am I right in thinking that then all the apps data would be 'fresh' so game saves etc would be lost?
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:47 PM   #10
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
But am I right in thinking that then all the apps data would be 'fresh' so game saves etc would be lost?
Unfortunately, yes. Your first choice would be to restore from backup, but if problems persist, restore as new would be needed.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:49 PM   #11
tann
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
Unfortunately, yes. Your first choice would be to restore from backup, but if problems exist, restore as new would be needed.
Ah fair enough. I usually restore as new and then from backup, thinking that it downloads the entire OS and puts it on fresh then just restores my previous settings and app data, it usually does seem a lot better and fixes my problems when I have had them (very rare).
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:15 PM   #12
smooth
macrumors 6502

Send a message via Yahoo to smooth
My wife and I just got iPhone 5's on Tuesday. So when we got them activated and synced up, we had to upgrade to 6.0.2. We both noticed right off the bat that the battery life was significantly worse than our 2.5-year-old iPhone 4's. Neither one of us used it any more than the 4. My wife would charge hers every other night to every 3 nights. I would charge mine every night to every other. We have had to charge our 5's every night since we got them. I just did a restore on both of them so we'll see how that goes. It would be nice if there is an improvement. I would have expected better battery life from a new phone compared to an older one.
iPod Shuffle
smooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone