Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:24 PM   #51
Mr X
macrumors member

Ok thanks. Hope they release a UK version soon, exactly what I need.
Mr X is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 01:55 PM   #52
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr X View Post
Ok thanks. Hope they release a UK version soon, exactly what I need.
I suggest ringing Nest and inquiring about future International support. From the article(s) I've read, they absolutely took inquiries and suggestions seriously, leading to the improvements in ver 2.0 (such as multi-stage support in higher end HVAC systems, etc). When I phoned last year inquiring about ver 1.0, the rep took my info and I was contacted by Nest a few weeks later regarding my Trane HVAC system and what they needed to do to support it. I phoned again yesterday and spoke with the same rep from last year; she informed me that all the collected data was taken into account to improve support for this newer model.

Almost forgot, when asking about multi-zone support, she hinted that satellite models may become available. Thus you would only need the main Nest thermostat and less expensive "satellite" nests to communicate their readings in different zones to the master unit. Seems like a great idea.
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:30 PM   #53
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
I suggest ringing Nest and inquiring about future International support. From the article(s) I've read, they absolutely took inquiries and suggestions seriously, leading to the improvements in ver 2.0 (such as multi-stage support in higher end HVAC systems, etc). When I phoned last year inquiring about ver 1.0, the rep took my info and I was contacted by Nest a few weeks later regarding my Trane HVAC system and what they needed to do to support it. I phoned again yesterday and spoke with the same rep from last year; she informed me that all the collected data was taken into account to improve support for this newer model.

Almost forgot, when asking about multi-zone support, she hinted that satellite models may become available. Thus you would only need the main Nest thermostat and less expensive "satellite" nests to communicate their readings in different zones to the master unit. Seems like a great idea.
Yeah I've emailed them requesting a high voltage version. Considering that low voltage systems are really only common in the USA, they'd be wise to make a high voltage version.
slicecom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:43 PM   #54
SnowLeopard OSX
macrumors 6502a

I like the design. Very minimalist -- something I'd expect from a former Apple industrial designer. The price tag is just too high, though. Especially for a thermostat out of all things. Pretty innovative product, though. I'll give it that.
iPhone |4S White/16GB/ iOS 7.0|3G White/16GB iOS 8.0
SnowLeopard OSX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:03 PM   #55
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard OSX View Post
I like the design. Very minimalist -- something I'd expect from a former Apple industrial designer. The price tag is just too high, though. Especially for a thermostat out of all things. Pretty innovative product, though. I'll give it that.
Expensive for a thermostat? I guess so. But when most people spend a couple of thousand dollars a year or much more on heating and cooling costs, and a new furnace may run $10,000, $250 on a thermostat doesn't seem like much of an extravagance.
zhenya is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:58 PM   #56
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
Expensive for a thermostat? I guess so. But when most people spend a couple of thousand dollars a year or much more on heating and cooling costs, and a new furnace may run $10,000, $250 on a thermostat doesn't seem like much of an extravagance.
Our Trane HVAC system cost well over $10,000 (not including the instant water/filtration system). This was with the $1500 NYS credit. It's been ~three years (wow, time flies), and we've seen our bills almost cut in half in our custom 8 year old home with an 18 SEER (previously had a York the builder installed, terrible systems; expensive as they may be - Trane/Rheem systems pay for themselves in a few years). Utilizing the newer Nest with multi-stage support will make up for the $250 cost with even better energy efficiency. In the end, long term costs should be taken into account per home. This is an investment.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
Yeah I've emailed them requesting a high voltage version. Considering that low voltage systems are really only common in the USA, they'd be wise to make a high voltage version.
Absolutely, there's a large international market waiting to be tapped into. An easy to install thermostat that takes the guess work out of home energy usage while lowering costs and the global carbon footprint is a no brainer. This would work beautifully in smaller homes such as most European and Japanese homes.
bedifferent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:05 PM   #57
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicecom View Post
I think somewhere on their site they say in effect that since they are trying to keep the user experience so high (especially the installation) they have necessarily had to limit the regions they released it in initially.
zhenya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 04:21 PM   #58
steve119
macrumors 6502

I would love something like this for my gas central heating.....
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:52 PM   #59
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Trane/Rheem systems pay for themselves in a few years)
Trane/Rheem is good, but the brand has nothing to do with a system paying for itself in a few years. I just put in a new Amana system (yes I know some consider anything Goodman garbage) but it has an excellent warranty and is good quality stuff for the price. Anyhow I could not afford Trane, Rheem or Carrier so I ended up going the Amana route.

What makes a system pay for itself is the efficiency. I went from an old Natural Gas that was at best 60% efficient to a new 95% furnace. It will too pay for itself in a few years. I added central air to it, but only did a 13 SEER because our cooling season is so short where I live. I did not do a heat pump because my house is old so not insulted as well and our average winter temps are low.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:59 PM   #60
dinggus
Banned

I'm curious to how this works, because I already have I guess a "smart" house. I can control everything electronic wise through my iPhone. So, if I got this, it replaces my new thermostat? House was built this year.

Do you put one in each room or the main rooms? Like entry way, bedroom, living room?
dinggus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 07:59 AM   #61
bedifferent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaGuy View Post
Trane/Rheem is good, but the brand has nothing to do with a system paying for itself in a few years. I just put in a new Amana system (yes I know some consider anything Goodman garbage) but it has an excellent warranty and is good quality stuff for the price. Anyhow I could not afford Trane, Rheem or Carrier so I ended up going the Amana route.
Amana is great, it was one of the four we were considering. We decided on the Trane system as the HVAC company priced out an 18 SEER system for the same amount of money a comparable Amana would cost, and threw in a few extra's from Trane.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:33 AM   #62
nielsll
macrumors newbie

I have a five zone home that I converted from a standard type programmable (correctly programmed) to nests. I live in the CA desert and looking at my utility bills, year to year, over the June-Sept. span I figure they paid for themselves in one season. They seem to learn how your house really works and match cycles to more economically cool it. Heating is not a real concern for me. The internet access is a great feature when you have an unusual schedule. When away for a few days, you just tell it when you want your programmed temp and it just works.
nielsll is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:52 AM   #63
DakotaGuy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Amana is great, it was one of the four we were considering. We decided on the Trane system as the HVAC company priced out an 18 SEER system for the same amount of money a comparable Amana would cost, and threw in a few extra's from Trane.
Interesting you got such a good price on a Trane. Anyhow yes I am very happy with my Amana system. The savings on gas are amazing. At least 1/2 of what I used before. I can't imagine how much energy we could save in our country if everyone was running one of these new systems.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:28 PM   #64
sputnikv
macrumors regular

these guys are known for paying for themselves in energy savings
sputnikv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:21 AM   #65
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Doesn't it cost you more to constantly re-heat or re-cool your house vs just having it come on every so often to keep the temperature constant?
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:10 AM   #66
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Doesn't it cost you more to constantly re-heat or re-cool your house vs just having it come on every so often to keep the temperature constant?
It really depends on the particular system, but for the most case, no. Forced air systems virtually always save energy. Most older furnaces of any type save energy. Some modern radiant systems with high-mass emitters and/or highly efficient boilers that are most efficient at low output, yes, that is probably true.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:29 PM   #67
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Thank goodness this came out before a new Mac Pro.
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:12 AM   #68
Ccrew
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffie View Post
So Nest would not be effiecient for a home with large dogs that run by the device every hour?
Interesting question, thanks for asking. I have two German Shepherds that gave my ADT alarm system nightmares until they finally gave up on motion sensors downstairs and swapped everything to glass breakage for just your reason.

The alarm system was just N+1 anyway though, the Shepherds will just wait quietly for you to enter then flag you as prey
Ccrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 01:53 AM   #69
GaresTaylan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Thank goodness this came out before a new Mac Pro.
Since apple didn't make nest like they do the Mac Pro this makes no sense. Apples to oranges adding stock of a product made elsewhere vs overhauling a product you make, mass producing it and then getting it to stores.
GaresTaylan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:09 PM   #70
bedifferent

Just installed version 2.0 on our Trane HVAC system. Most definitely the easiest install/upgrade I've ever done.

One note: Our thermostat had S1 and S2 wires - these are for indoor and outdoor sensors. As the Nest thermostat uses WiFi for current outdoor conditions and a built-in indoor sensor, any S-wiring does not need to be connected. Simply leave it be, electrical tape it if you must but unnecessary for a low-voltage system.

Our 2-state heating and cooling HVAC system is up and running with our new Nest thermostat. Loving it so far.

Merry Christmas!
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:50 AM   #71
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post

I think the point is that a $50 thermostat will do the job just as good...
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:53 AM   #72
zhenya
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Maybe, but considering that this product was developed specifically to address the shortcomings of those $50 thermostats, I have to somewhat disagree. The Nest may not save any money over a $50 unit programmed in the same way as the Nest, but the latter is infinitely easier to use, and provides a lot of functionality that the cheaper unit doesn't. And the potential is there that the Nest will save money, even over a programmed unit, as it continues to learn over time.
zhenya is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2012, 10:27 AM   #73
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Please link me to a $50 thermostat that has wifi connectivity, remote control from anywhere via app support for Android and iOS, comes with simple firmware upgradeability and has dynamic capabilities (learns and adapts to users habits).

If you can, I would love to see it, but I doubt it exists.

One could also say, "Why buy a $25,000 car when a $2,500 go-cart would do the job just as well".
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:25 AM   #74
Adidas Addict
macrumors 65816

This must be a favour for some friend of someone very high up at Apple.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:00 PM   #75
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingcraig View Post
Please link me to a $50 thermostat that has wifi connectivity, remote control from anywhere via app support for Android and iOS, comes with simple firmware upgradeability and has dynamic capabilities (learns and adapts to users habits).

If you can, I would love to see it, but I doubt it exists.

One could also say, "Why buy a $25,000 car when a $2,500 go-cart would do the job just as well".
Except I think it's all a gimmick, a forced air system without zoning isn't that effective in managing temperatures across multiple floors. Also, not to mention, the Nest only has a single sensor and cannot effectively monitor a whole house.

Basically these features are gimmicky targeted towards the tech user.

Now, if homes had zoned HVAC and the nest could control each room independently that would be amazing.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion