Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
It was a vanilla Google phone. Had pure Android on it but the camera was dire. Absolutely terrible.

Are you referring to the GSM Gnex or the Verizon Gnex or both? I'm not sure the Verizon version is pure as Verizon I heard holds back updates?

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
i came from a gs3 on verizon and got an iPhone 5. i have had every other iphone. i would go to android every so often but i would always come back to the iPhone. There would be a feature i like that the iPhone doesn't have so i would jump ship but realize how much i miss the ease of use and simplicity of the OS. in android there are 3 different ways to do the same thing and it would get redundant. apple trims the fat and streamlines everything. i can hand my iPhone to my 6 year old niece and she can figure it out quite easily.

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Well my story is Galaxy S to S3 and now to IPH5
I have been a die hard fan of android for all this time and used to hate iPhone for not being able to customize it. However at Some point I just got fed up of android and its customization and the amount of time it takes to do this. The original JB doesn't do a lot and that's where you have ROM cooks and ROM kitchens to help you out. But the whole weekend seems to go in customizations and then re-setup of everything. Eventually I got fed up of all this.

Yes there are a few things that you are not allowed to do in IOS but still you end up using your phone most of the time rather than customizing it all the time.

My 2cents

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
I've owned just about every non-Verizon Android flagship available in the last 2 years, including the Galaxy S3 and Nexus 4. Bought an iPhone 5 about two weeks ago because I was really upset about how Google lied to so many people about the shipping fiasco with the Nexus 4.

Still own the Nexus 4, and will probably keep it, but right now I'm leaning towards using the iPhone as my daily driver.

Generally, I still think Android as an operating system is vastly more sophisticated than is iOS. Options galore. Widgets. Sound profile applications. More control over hardware (i.e., I actually get to choose whether my wifi turns off when I turn my screen off), etc. I won't go into it here because that's not the purpose of this thread. I will just say that if you have used and liked Android, you will definitely be aware of missing features and options on iOS. The best way I can describe it is that iOS is very "binary" -- something is either on, or it is off. In Android, there's a lot of middle ground between "on" and "off" from which you can choose.

That being said, the reason I'm probably going to keep the iPhone 5 as my daily driver is because there is some elegance to the simplicity of iOS. iOS is not without it's problems, but it does "just work," for the most part. Also, the hardware is unquestionably superior to even the best that Android has to offer. The camera is excellent. And I love the form factor.

I really think you'll just need to buy one and see. If you get it from an Apple store you have a 30 day return policy + no restocking fee. So no harm in trying.

P.S. If I could get vanilla Android 4.2 on iPhone 5 hardware (heck, or even iPhone 4S hardware) I would be in absolute heaven. I think that would be the perfect phone.

99% of Android features can be found on the jailbroken app store. The advantage of having to jail break your phone to get these features is that it's harder to mess up your phone. I got 3 different viruses on Android so there needs to be some limits on features to keep new users safe.

I actually owned an S3 for a while and literally went through every single android feature and was able to instal 48 of the 50 missing features in android on iOS with a jailbreak. Including stuff like widgets, video backgrounds and turning your phone off and muting it when it's turned upside down.

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
I adjust hoping that iPhone 5 and IOS6 combination gets a untethered jailbreak soon.

This way I can open up my phone to a whole new world.

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
iPhone 4 > Galaxy S2 > HTC Sensation > HTC One X > Galaxy Note > Galaxy Nexus > Galaxy S3 > iPhone 5.

Those in bold were mistakes. Expensive mistakes.

Within a day of having the iPhone 5 I felt completely at home.

If it wasn't laggy homescreens or apps chewing away battery life in the background, having to root and install custom roms to remove bloatware or generally have many poorly performing apps.... I will never EVER bother with Android again. And I was flying the torch for it. I saw so much potential but I just cannot see Google being firm in it's delivery. It will be a scattered mess forever.

iOS has it's limitations but nowhere near as bad as they were when I was on iOS 4 previously.

Even the little things like emoji and stock messaging app are like crack ....even on Jellybean they never performed the way they should.

The S3 has a superb camera, it has many more options than the iPhone 5 but for pure point and click value, my iP5 is knocking out some superb pics without effort and sharing them has been a great experience with photostream and such.

Apple have got me. I actually resent them as a business and their practices, but I just cannot deny all they do is a pleasure to be involved with.

I am really struggling to see how they can improve on the 5 though. The 5S will surely be a sidegrade more than anything.

iPhone 4 -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S3 -> iPhone 4S -> iPhone 5

I was an Apple user for a very long time and when the S3 came out i couldn't help myself and sold my 4S, bought the s3. It was great at first with the widgets etc, but after obsessing over the home screen and realising widgets aren't as useful as you convinced yourself they were gonna be (Most you have to manually tap to update, in which case your best off just launching the full app, which makes widgets pointless) i went back to iOS, its only when you lose something you realise how good it is! Sure its minimal but I rather the minimalism if its going to sync seamlessly with my iPad, iPod touch and MacBook!

So did you miss the bigger screen going from S3 to iP5?

Your posts, with you using a lot of Androids, have almost persuaded me!

I won't be jailbreaking, so will miss some features of Android though. I will miss the keyboards swiftkey/swype, getting tired on one option of tap tap on my iPad.

Is SIRI any real use now? I've used S-voice like 10 times, then can't be bothered and forgot about it.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL

I can tell you going from the Nexus 4 back to the iPhone 5 didn't bother me one bit. Yes the N4 screen is much bigger, but was not one hand friendly at all. It felt too wide to hold in the hand. I thought I would like the wider phone, but didn't after a few days.

The first day back with the iP5 it felt small, but after a few days it was just fine again.

Hard to explain, but everyones opinion will vary.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I can tell you going from the Nexus 4 back to the iPhone 5 didn't bother me one bit. Yes the N4 screen is much bigger, but was not one hand friendly at all. It felt too wide to hold in the hand. I thought I would like the wider phone, but didn't after a few days.

The first day back with the iP5 it felt small, but after a few days it was just fine again.

Hard to explain, but everyones opinion will vary.

I have both the N4 and the iphone 4S
moving from the blackberry to the iphone was easy, moving to androied is hard,
like the zise of the N4 but can't get used to the androied software, keep moving back to the iphone,
just don't like the zise of the iphone I wish it was like the N4
and not 3.5 long IP5

bluski9

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2012
I jus bought a note 2 moving from the iphone 4 and I must say when apple says "it jus works" right out of the box that is so true compared to the note 2.

There's a huge learning curve for Android and not that much help out there on the various android forums as compared to the apple forums..Plus the guys on the apple forums are much friendlier and more willing to help when you experience a problem..

A simple thing like being able to change the country in the google play store is not as easy as it is in the app store..The app store is also better visually more appealing and easy to move around than the play store. and yes the same apps for the iphone are more stable..

Don't forget about manufacture support..So much less than apple..

Cannot use emoji icons like on the iphone unless i root or create an adhoc workabout and there is no auto-correct spelling only predictive text on the stock android keyboard..

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
The saga continues....

Still haven't got one, and still undecided. Another thing I didn't realise is calling people after messing with daughters iPhone 4. Can't believe that they haven't got the call pad thing where you tap on the number of the letter to build up the contacts name.

Do you still (without favs), have to open phone, click on contacts, scroll through of search, tap contact, then tap dial? Surely this isn't ease of use?

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
I have both the N4 and the iphone 4S
moving from the blackberry to the iphone was easy, moving to androied is hard,
like the zise of the N4 but can't get used to the androied software, keep moving back to the iphone,
just don't like the zise of the iphone I wish it was like the N4
and not 3.5 long IP5

I can't get used to the 'clunky-ness' of Android OS. My wife has an Android with Jelly Bean and although it has the potential to give iOS a run for it's money, it's not smooth and polished as iOS. If it was just as smooth and polished then a different story.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

Your posts, with you using a lot of Androids, have almost persuaded me!

I won't be jailbreaking, so will miss some features of Android though. I will miss the keyboards swiftkey/swype, getting tired on one option of tap tap on my iPad.

Is SIRI any real use now? I've used S-voice like 10 times, then can't be bothered and forgot about it.

I like the S3 screen size, but there was many times when im walking down the street carrying a bag / shopping and the phone rings and i've chosen to ignore it. Sure you can hold it in one hand, but there is always that slight worry of when you shuffle it around in your hand to do various things that you could drop it.

The iP5 bridges the gap nicely between a tidy one hand form factor and function.

As for Siri, well it has been useful here and there. It's great for getting directions or for finding local businesses when on the move.

It's not as functional as Google Now, but it is certainly more fun to use. The responses are amusing at times.

You should get hold of one to have a play with.

I always found the 4 / 4S to be too small and limiting, but this is perfect for a phone IMO.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
I'm going back to Android after a year with the iPhone 4S. I'm going to miss the absolutely perfect form factor of the 4S, but here are a few of the factors that made me switch back (in no particular order):

1. LTE. I need to get on LTE, as HSPA+ slows down in areas with dense usage. The iPhone 5 doesn't have a JB yet, so it's not an option yet. Also, AT&T hasn't been maintaining their HSPA+ network, so it has bad latency and just feels slow, even though in many places, it's doing 4-6mbps.

2. Lightning. I don't want to deal with buying $100 of stupid proprietary cables when I already have dock connector and micro-USB cables coming out of my ears. Lightning was an absolutely idiotic move on Apple's part, and I'm seeing how long I can stay away from it (probably a while considering the iPad 3 will have software update support for several years).

3. Google Now and other innovations. Apple isn't innovating, just refining and polishing the same functionality the OG Droid had on Verizon several years ago. Google Now is a fundamental innovation about how we interact with our phones. Whether or not I use it a lot, we'll see, but at least I know Google is innovating.

4. Cost. I got the SGS III for $50 from BestBuy, and another $50 for a MicroSD card. The iPhone 5 would have been $400 plus another $100 for Lightning cables.

5. The SGS III will have a Lifeproof case soon, which was one thing holding me on the iPhone.

6. Google Maps. Yes, they do have it on the iPhone now, but it still doesn't have a lot of the functionality that it does on the Android side.

7. Cleaner, more modern interface. The whole Skeuomorphism thing is driving me nuts. Google unashamedly has no ties to the past, they blaze forward with a new look, including the gorgeous Roboto font.

8. Customization and widgets. I am beholden to Jailbreaking and stuck on iOS 5.0.1 in order to have basic customization like a quick settings menu, and the ability to tether on the 2GB AT&T plan.

TeeRom

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
Are you referring to the GSM Gnex or the Verizon Gnex or both? I'm not sure the Verizon version is pure as Verizon I heard holds back updates?

Yeah, that's true, although most people who get that phone root it and get out of the whole mess.

I had a Verizon Galaxy Nexus and switched to the 5. Battery on the Nexus was abismal. Android OS is getting better, and I've messed with it A LOT but iOS is the better fit for me I feel. I love the 5 so far and I can actually make it the whole day with some leftover time. Great choice switching for me.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I'm going back to Android after a year with the iPhone 4S. I'm going to miss the absolutely perfect form factor of the 4S, but here are a few of the factors that made me switch back (in no particular order):

1. LTE. I need to get on LTE, as HSPA+ slows down in areas with dense usage. The iPhone 5 doesn't have a JB yet, so it's not an option yet. Also, AT&T hasn't been maintaining their HSPA+ network, so it has bad latency and just feels slow, even though in many places, it's doing 4-6mbps.

2. Lightning. I don't want to deal with buying $100 of stupid proprietary cables when I already have dock connector and micro-USB cables coming out of my ears. Lightning was an absolutely idiotic move on Apple's part, and I'm seeing how long I can stay away from it (probably a while considering the iPad 3 will have software update support for several years).

3. Google Now and other innovations. Apple isn't innovating, just refining and polishing the same functionality the OG Droid had on Verizon several years ago. Google Now is a fundamental innovation about how we interact with our phones. Whether or not I use it a lot, we'll see, but at least I know Google is innovating.

4. Cost. I got the SGS III for $50 from BestBuy, and another $50 for a MicroSD card. The iPhone 5 would have been $400 plus another $100 for Lightning cables.

5. The SGS III will have a Lifeproof case soon, which was one thing holding me on the iPhone.

6. Google Maps. Yes, they do have it on the iPhone now, but it still doesn't have a lot of the functionality that it does on the Android side.

7. Cleaner, more modern interface. The whole Skeuomorphism thing is driving me nuts. Google unashamedly has no ties to the past, they blaze forward with a new look, including the gorgeous Roboto font.

8. Customization and widgets. I am beholden to Jailbreaking and stuck on iOS 5.0.1 in order to have basic customization like a quick settings menu, and the ability to tether on the 2GB AT&T plan.

1. iPhone 5 is LTE...am I missing something here?

2. Understandable, but how many cables does one person need? The phone comes with one and personally just bought one more for the car. iPhone 5 battery lasts all day even with heavy usage.

3. Google Now is alright. I used it twice with the Nexus 4. It gave me traffic updates and was hardly that useful. I actually shut it on the Nexus 4 because battery life was meh to begin with. Every user will have opinions about Google Now.

4. Understandable, but that's on contract price. I take it you were looking into the 64GB iP5. Again, this is all personal preference, but devices these days don't need high storage with most data and documents in Cloud services.

5. Much more cases and accessories for the iP5 and the Lifeproof case is definitely a solid choice if you need protection like that.

6. Google even said the Google Maps is more polished and has more features on iOS devices right now. Plus, Apple Maps (well for me) here in Florida has been rock solid and hasn't failed me once. It is nice to have Google Maps though as an alternative choice.

7. Personal preference. I really enjoyed Jelly Bean on the Nexus 4, but some of the UI was a little blah. Both iOS and Jelly Bean has pros and cons in this department.

8. Yes Android wins here. You can't even place app icons where you want STILL in iOS. Plus it's been 73 degrees on my iPhone Weather app for 5 years. Boring yes, but after a little bit of customizing and placing widgets on the Nexus 4, I found myself changing things around more than actually using device sometimes. It is very nice to have these options though regardless. iOS NEEDS to add toggles to there Notifications.

In summary, I see where your coming from. Looking for something more open and a fresh change. I tried it with vanilla Android and the Nexus 4, which is supposedly a Top 3 Android device, but it the end it fell short.

I would keep your 4S just in case you don't like the SG3

MrMister111

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
LTE is mute to me at mo, here in UK it's only in few cities and I'm only 6 months into 2 year contract.

I'm hearing and reading a lot now on how stale, and I agree, iOS has become. It gives very little customisation the no quick shortcuts etc, but have to say it is a lot more rock solid and fluid OS than Android.

I'm also not bothered about Google now, doesn't seem to work for me, shows a few "cards" now and then.

The hardware is much better, still worried on the screen size and keyboard and quick settings/shortcuts. Would also cost me, with balance of selling S3, around £320 for the 32Gb, I think if spending the £530 for the 16Gb,may as well spend £70 extra for double the space

araje

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
There are plenty of die hard fans who see it as a lagging.

Strategic Choice? It's becoming very apparent how dated iOS is...

I know... A dumb as$ strategic choice. What really bothers me is the apple fan boys defending it that no widgets is correct. And they are happy making 5 clicks for turning on or off every option.
How stupid is that

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I know... A dumb as$ strategic choice. What really bothers me is the apple fan boys defending it that no widgets is correct. And they are happy making 5 clicks for turning on or off every option.
How stupid is that

Apple have kind of got stuck here - they've taught everyone a really easy system and now the pupils want a little more choice. I think they can do it thought, they're just being needlessly cautious.

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
1. iPhone 5 is LTE...am I missing something here?

2. Understandable, but how many cables does one person need? The phone comes with one and personally just bought one more for the car. iPhone 5 battery lasts all day even with heavy usage.

3. Google Now is alright. I used it twice with the Nexus 4. It gave me traffic updates and was hardly that useful. I actually shut it on the Nexus 4 because battery life was meh to begin with. Every user will have opinions about Google Now.

4. Understandable, but that's on contract price. I take it you were looking into the 64GB iP5. Again, this is all personal preference, but devices these days don't need high storage with most data and documents in Cloud services.

5. Much more cases and accessories for the iP5 and the Lifeproof case is definitely a solid choice if you need protection like that.

6. Google even said the Google Maps is more polished and has more features on iOS devices right now. Plus, Apple Maps (well for me) here in Florida has been rock solid and hasn't failed me once. It is nice to have Google Maps though as an alternative choice.

7. Personal preference. I really enjoyed Jelly Bean on the Nexus 4, but some of the UI was a little blah. Both iOS and Jelly Bean has pros and cons in this department.

8. Yes Android wins here. You can't even place app icons where you want STILL in iOS. Plus it's been 73 degrees on my iPhone Weather app for 5 years. Boring yes, but after a little bit of customizing and placing widgets on the Nexus 4, I found myself changing things around more than actually using device sometimes. It is very nice to have these options though regardless. iOS NEEDS to add toggles to there Notifications.

In summary, I see where your coming from. Looking for something more open and a fresh change. I tried it with vanilla Android and the Nexus 4, which is supposedly a Top 3 Android device, but it the end it fell short.

I would keep your 4S just in case you don't like the SG3

1. Way to read my post... iPhone 5 doesn't have a JB yet, so it might as well not exist.

2. Dresser (charging), computer for sync, car, work, and travel, i.e. portable battery pack.

4. I can just barely fit my stuff on a 64GB iPhone 4S. If the 16GB iPhone had a MicroSD slot, then I would be fine. The SGS III does.

5. It's coming out for the SGS III.

6. Apple maps is a disaster. I can't even get Google Maps right now, kind of kicking myself for not upgrading to 5.1.1 while the opportunity was still there, I'm stuck on 5.0.1 with no escape in sight (i.e. untethered iOS 6 JB). Google Maps has a lot more features on Android, there are numerous layers that are missing on iOS, as well as offline caching and other features. I like the TomTom app on the iPhone, but it's interface for programming is just horrendous.

7. I can place app icons where I want them. :) But it's missing a lot of other things.

I am going to keep the iPhone around just in case the SGS III doesn't live up to what I think it will be. It would kind of suck to go back to a year-old device with stagnant software (until someone comes up with an iOS 6 JB) with no upgrades in sight, but if I really hate the form factor of the SGS III...

The problem is that I see no future for the iPhone for the tech savvy like me (admittedly we are probably 1% of their market). The Jailbreaks are taking longer and longer to come out, there's the whole Lightning thing, Google is turning the screws down on Apple with dumping Exchange, which I use for Mail and Contacts. I blame Apple for the Jailbreak situation, as they could have left the old exploits from the OG iPhone in just to let the JB'ers have their customized devices. I'm stuck with no LTE, no Google Maps, disintegrating Mail and Contacts support, poor Google Calendar support...

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Went from the iphone 4 to the Razr maxx, and then to iphone 5. Although the razr maxx was a well built smartphone with excellent voice quality, I just got sick of the fragmented android os crap. Then throw in all the bloatware from verizon, poor music app, slow gps, and dropping LTE at home, I got fed up and jumped as soon as the iphone 5 came out. Now I am happy again. Never lose LTE, no bloatware and everything works together again. My imac, ipad, apple tv and iphone 5 all play well together. Won't fall for the android hype ever again.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Will I do it again?

Had the Ip4 and loved it. The Galaxy S3 tempted me, so I got it and loved it....but when the IP5 came out, I came back. Haven't missed the S3 for a second. But when the Galaxy S4 comes out, it is going to kick some serious butt. It will be an earth shaking phone. Will I bail out of the Ip 5 for it? Absolutely not!! I have learned my lesson. I'll just wait until the next Iphone catches up with it. But make no mistake, the Galaxy S4 is going to be a big boy phone and Apple better be ready to respond or they are going to backslide. A spec bumped Iphone 5s isn't going to cut it against an S4 for a lot of people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.