Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:16 AM   #526
BENJMNS
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykem View Post
If I were to, as you put it, baby the phone I would've used a case but like I said I am conscious of not putting keys or coins in the same pocket as the phone but other than that I treat it as well as I did with my previous iPhone 4S. I don't throw the phone around if that's what you mean. I also bought AppleCare + after hearing the horror story especially on this forum which is why I'm surprised at how well mine's been holding up.

I don't think it will remain unscathed forever and almost two months into owning the phone there are a few more very minor chipping to the anodized surface but from what I can recall from the two months of using my iPhone 4S, the scuffing on the steel band was more readily apparent especially around where the steel constantly rubbing against the palm of my hand.

There is also the fact that my phone was manufactured on the 40th week of production that earlier issues with anodizing and QC in general had been resolved. Also I like to think that because I paid full pop- CAD$899 for the 64GB- perhaps the QC is elevated above carrier subsidized phone (although it's more than likely luck).

More photos of the phone taken tonight- almost one month over the last set of photos:

I bought my 64gb at full price no contract. Both of them. New. For you to even speculate that apple might make these units "better" makes you look honestly pretty darn you know what.

Mine is truly used naked. While I don't slide it around concrete because I can, I also don't go out of my way to baby it. After two plus months of usage you definitely see chipping around the anodized edges. Light Scratches on the back. Never dropped it. No complaints. It is what it is like I've pontificated above. Function wise all good.
BENJMNS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:30 AM   #527
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

Mine is also the black week 40 unit and yes it definitely shows improvement over previous weeks ... without some kind of physical impact how can chipping or scratching happen is beyond me ... if throwing and slamming the phone on the table your thing then obviously this iPhone is not for you ... (not intended towards anyone in particular)
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:53 AM   #528
iKroes
macrumors newbie

Got my 4th iphone 5 now.

The first three were bad out of the box.

nr. 1 had scratches on the screen
nr. 2 had scuffs on the outer band, had an opening between de screen and frame and had scuffs on the back
nr. 3 had scuffs on the outer band and back
nr. 4 was perfect out of the box.

Used it for about 24 hours without a screenprotector and already one small scratch on the screen itself. Very frustrating, put it back in de box on day one after using and had it in my pocket for about 2 hours.

Maybe it was my own fault or some dust-part came on the screen while cleaning it...dunno.

Anyway, besides that it is holding up very well!
iKroes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:04 AM   #529
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damolee View Post
I drink.

When I give up alcohol, I will go naked.
That is funny because i found myself naked a lot until i gave up alcohol so go figure
Old Jan 2, 2013, 07:15 AM   #530
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Upgrade day!

Thinking I'm going to upgrade under contract to the 5 today!

Got a spigen glas.t.r for it already, but otherwise want to go naked. Will probably be carrying it mostly in a suit or jacket pocket.

Was reading about scuffgate on the black iP5. Is that no longer a problem, or would y'all suggest going with white?

Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 04:05 AM   #531
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Six months later . How's your naked iphone 5 holding ? That's my question
Bako-MacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:22 AM   #532
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako-MacAddict View Post
Mine was in a bad condition. Scufs everywhere, the paint was gone, the screen was full with hairline scratches and 2-3 major scratches.
I onle dropped 2 time on the carpet from about 0.5 while sitting on the sofa.
You may noticed that I say "was". Thats because a week ago the lock buton broke and I recieved a refurbished one in mint condition.
Lucky me
hamiltonDSi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:22 AM   #533
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bako-MacAddict View Post
Mine has a couple of mm sized marks where it's rubbed.

iPhone 6 Plus 16GB Space Grey - iOS 8.1.1
iPad Air 16GB Space Grey. - iOS 8.1.1
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 05:30 AM   #534
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
Thinking I'm going to upgrade under contract to the 5 today!

Got a spigen glas.t.r for it already, but otherwise want to go naked. Will probably be carrying it mostly in a suit or jacket pocket.

Was reading about scuffgate on the black iP5. Is that no longer a problem, or would y'all suggest going with white?

Thanks.
If you wear a suit go for the black one.
hamiltonDSi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:42 AM   #535
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I may have already posted earlier, I can't remember, but my white one is holding up pretty well. It has many light scratches on the edges and apple logo, and a few nicks on the edges as well. The only one that will notice then is me, and it doesn't bother me all that much. I have tried putting a case on it and I always take it off within a few minutes, I like it too much caseless. The back and a screen are fine.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:21 PM   #536
kanaz40
macrumors newbie

Polished raw aluminum Black iPhone 5

Name:  iphone 5 aluminum.jpg
Views: 961
Size:  3.3 KBMine is holding up great!
kanaz40 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:38 AM   #537
MUBiomed
macrumors 6502

How is your naked iphone 5 holding up?

This the first iPhone that I have owned (and I have owned all of them), that I feel the need to keep in a case all the time. It is so fragile that you do not even need to drop it in order to damage the finish/bezel. I hope the 5S offers some improvement with different anodizing or materials so that I can carry it in my pocket without the fear that a new scratch or blemish will spontaneously appear.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:52 AM   #538
Applefan4
macrumors member

I treat my phone with great care, so no scratches at all I do use the screen protector though.
Applefan4 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 01:39 AM   #539
Fouracre44
macrumors regular

I've seen most of my friends who have iphones in shocking condition, scratched up, glass broken, paint scratched off after a few weeks of use. But then those who have cases on their phone tend to be fine. The iphone 5 is highly fragile but awesome. I don't know what people do with their phones if they don't have scratches.

I am a working man, and I use a smart phone in my personal and professional life. I am careful with almost everything in my life, even my phone has scratches. If your phone doesn't have one scratch, you either don't have a very demanding life, a phone enthusiast, or a complete and utter douchebag, pick one.

That being said, whenever I get a new smartphone, the first thing I do is throw a screen protector on it, and a case, and not worry about it again. It's just a phone after all.

This being said, I wouldn't reccommend using the iphone 5 naked, at least without a front and back screen protector or clear matte skin. those look cool.
Fouracre44 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 02:26 AM   #540
JoEw
macrumors 6502a

As the iPhones get more refined and sexier looking it creates this pardox where I don't want to use a case because it looks so good but at the same time it looks so good I do not want to scratch it.
Old May 8, 2013, 02:34 AM   #541
R.Stoychev
macrumors 6502a

It was holding okey naked but I put minimalistic case on

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone