Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
I keep trying to figure out what the heck makes them different..also, which one is retina compatible?
Please suggest one that doesn't require a disk. I'm trying to install everything on the machine without a disk.

It sucks that neither of them is on the App store.

----------

OK, so I found the direct download for Parallels. I'm just really hoping it's Retina ready.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I keep trying to figure out what the heck makes them different..also, which one is retina compatible?
Please suggest one that doesn't require a disk. I'm trying to install everything on the machine without a disk.

It sucks that neither of them is on the App store.

Both VMWare and Parallels can be downloaded from their respective vendors websites. VMWare you get a 30 day trial, I think Parallels has one also. Both support retina.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fusion/5_0

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Both VMWare and Parallels can be downloaded from their respective vendors websites. VMWare you get a 30 day trial, I think Parallels has one also. Both support retina.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fusion/5_0

Awesome! Now, how would I buy Windows 8? Please don't tell me I have to get Windows 7 first. Does Parallels come with the option to purchase Windows 8 via direct download when I install it? I can't seem to find Windows 8 (only the upgrade).

JoeRito

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
New England, USA
Love Parallels 8... I have win 7 and win 8 loaded on my Mac... you can buy a copy through the parallels interface, but you'll pay full price. I've purchased my licenses through other online sites and saved $$. Tiger, et al has copies, even eBay.

skysailing

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
Love Parallels 8... I have win 7 and win 8 loaded on my Mac... you can buy a copy through the parallels interface, but you'll pay full price. I've purchased my licenses through other online sites and saved $$. Tiger, et al has copies, even eBay.

I can DIGITALLY buy it from the installed screen? Awesome. Do you remember how much it was?

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
Parallels Over VMWare Fusion.

I've been a VMWare user since Fusion was released in 2008. Over the past week since my new iMac arrived, I've been trialing Parallels 8. I am extremely impressed. I've used Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. All have run extremely smoothly. I'm making the leap and moving from VMWare to Parallels once the trial expires. Very nice Mac integration as well. You will not be disappointed.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
I've been a VMWare user since Fusion was released in 2008. Over the past week since my new iMac arrived, I've been trialing Parallels 8. I am extremely impressed. I've used Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2. All have run extremely smoothly. I'm making the leap and moving from VMWare to Parallels once the trial expires. Very nice Mac integration as well. You will not be disappointed.

I'm looking at running this in a work environment in the new year and will need a couple of Virtual Machines running. What do you find are the benefits of Parallels over VMWare Fusion?

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I'm looking at running this in a work environment in the new year and will need a couple of Virtual Machines running. What do you find are the benefits of Parallels over VMWare Fusion?

Parallels seems to be smoother. Fusion will create a file that will migrate right into a corporate VMWare farm though. Most IT departments won't flinch at dealing with a Fusion created VM, as it's essentially the same as any other if they're running ESX.

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey

I've found opening/closing VMs much faster than Parallels. I often switch between environments and it's painful to watch spinning beach ball. There is a convenient open in Internet Explorer right from Safari which is good when you want to test browsers quickly in both Macintosh and Windows or for a specific IE issue which seems to crop up. Parallels fully integrates with the Mac as does VMware, but I'm finding Parallels a bit smoother. Very easy to switch between Mac and Windows apps and launch apps. While VMware does all this too, I just find Parallels a bit more refined. Bother offer converters to each others product so should in the future I want to go back to VMWare, the option exists.

VMWare does have a more friendly user license if you need to run Windows on multiple systems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.