Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 30, 2010
Because people use laptops in all different types of areas and some of those might not be well lit nor do you sometimes have any control of the lighting where you are. External keyboards are typically used at a desk or work space where there is usually adequate lighting.

I don't see Apple doing this. It's not like people aren't going to buy Macs simply because of this. MacBooks are different. People indeed might not buy MacBooks if they didn't have backlit keyboards. My suggestion to the OP... buy a lamp (seriously, I'm not being a smart ass).

I have a lamp. I love lamp. But it takes away focus from the monitor. Like someone said here, I sometimes use the computer early in the morning, or late at night and I don't want to have a light on. Apple making a wireless BT keyboard would be a good move and I'm sure would bring in more revenue.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I'm getting a new 27 inch iMac as soon as they're available in stores, and I definitely need a backlit keyboard. I'm just wondering if Apple might be releasing one at some point as I like their minimalistic design and usual aluminum enclosures. Or does anyone know of a keyboard out now that's Appleesque that is backlit. TYIA.

You know, come to think of it, this would definitely be something that I'd like to see in the future. I can't imagine why they haven't already released an external keyboard with backlit keys -- especially considering that all of their Macbooks provide that feature. In my opinion, a backlit keyboard wouldn't in anyway detract from Apple's minimalist approach towards industrial design.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
That the batteries will need to be replaced twice a day?

Uhm, no.. Static LED backlighting consumes very little energy, it has negligible impact on battery light. We have a Kindle Paperwhite, which is always backlit - its battery still last for weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.