Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tharius

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2011
I'm deciding on whether to get either a Macbook Air 13" or a Macbook Pro Retina 13".

If I get the 13" Air the specs would be i5, 8GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD which comes to $1,650 after tax.

However, I would be able to get the Macbook Retina for $1,600 and it comes with the same exact specs, except that it comes to 128 GB SSD.

I'm a college student who would take this laptop to class everyday, and the main application I use is Adobe Photoshop.

I already ordered the Air 13", but i'm regretting my decision since I feel like buying a Macbook Pro Retina and 64 GB SD (or something like that) would be a better option since it's actually a cheaper option and I get the Retina screen.

Thoughts?

AlexHunter

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
The screen on the rMBP is *WAY* better than the screen on the MBA. If you don't need the extra space, I would go with the Retina for sure. If you do need the space, but don't need to travel with some of the data, consider using an external HDD with the Retina. In any case, if I were you, I would choose the Retina hands down. :apple::apple::apple:

osxlovers

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Macbook Air is pretty enough for sure, I'm using 2012 MBA for my application development and still happy with it

xekret

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Wirelessly posted

I am basically trying to decide the same thing. I read reviews that say the mbp retina is sluggish. Is that true?

There are tons of reviews online and I put one to the test the other day and noticed some scroll lag. The 15" is the better option IMO since it has a GPU and can still be carried around.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I don't know why anyone would buy an air. Especially in that situation. Its ugly (silver screen boarder isn't for me) and the monitor can't compete with the retina.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Wirelessly posted

I am basically trying to decide the same thing. I read reviews that say the mbp retina is sluggish. Is that true?

No sluggishness here. When there is scroll lag, its usually the app that is not optimized for retina, not the failure of the computer. For example, the same websites that scroll lag in Chrome are smooth in Safari or even (almost) smooth in Chrome Canary.

I highly recommend the 13" retina. I'd go to the store and put the rmbp and mba next to each other and see if the retina screen makes a big difference to your eyes. It does to mine, but others dont care. Also, the black screen border is definitely prettier than the silver, but the mba is noticeably lighter. Not that the rmbp is heavy by any means.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.