Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I have a step-by-step guide on the procedure I followed. That is to break the fusion drive, repartition the drive and rebuilt the fusion. My performance is absolutely on par in the new setup. Bring your own time machine backup!

http://tmblr.co/ZeDCRyZsh-kC

Wow that's a pretty good guide, all done in the command line. They only delete half the logical volume which gives most people issues though... I will use that guide if i ever have to do it again but i will delete both parts of the logical volume. They also merge the final storage volume into the fusion drive, im not sure how the performance would be on that?

ste0803

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Gateshead//Newcastle/UK
If i'm understanding this correct, I would have to do BOTH of these processes for it to work, correct? I would STILL need to do bootcamp on an internal drive (this process), as well as do the instructions here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508618/.

Correct me if I'm wrong?

You dont need to fully install windows on the internal drive, the only reason you need a partition on the internal drive is to have the boot manager on there,

So:

Create your USB with Drivers,
Create a small partition on the internal drive (using disk utility) lable BOOTCAMP & formatted in FAT. (i used 4GB)
Reboot & boot from the USB stick created earlier, install onto the external drive when selecting disk within the windows install.
When booting using Alt press the first Windows hard drive in the row and this will allow full install.

Ste0803

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky
You dont need to fully install windows on the internal drive, the only reason you need a partition on the internal drive is to have the boot manager on there,

So:

Create your USB with Drivers,
Create a small partition on the internal drive (using disk utility) lable BOOTCAMP & formatted in FAT. (i used 4GB)
Reboot & boot from the USB stick created earlier, install onto the external drive when selecting disk within the windows install.
When booting using Alt press the first Windows hard drive in the row and this will allow full install.

Ste0803

Is there a work around at this time that will allow zero reliance on trying to reformat my 3TB?

I'm really wanting to just hold alt and boot into windows completely from external if at all possible...

qamaro

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Is there a work around at this time that will allow zero reliance on trying to reformat my 3TB?

I'm really wanting to just hold alt and boot into windows completely from external if at all possible...

As far as I know and I have looked exhaustively, there really is no good work around you'll need a master boot record (MBR) on the main drive (SSD or HDD). Once the MBR is in place you can then install the OS on an external. Microsoft prohibits running Windows OS's off of removable media. The only way I know is to run Windows To Go (which is a striped down version of windows 8). You can look it up, to see if it meets you needs but, it really limited. I ruled it out due to its limited update, software install capabilities.

ste0803

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
Gateshead//Newcastle/UK

You dont need to re-format your drive, all your doing is shrinking the current partition to make room for another. takes moments to do and your data should be safe.

Ste0803

alienatf

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
tryed to do that 5 times, checked everything

windows installer return me 0x80300024 error - could't install to this location (or something like that)

alienatf

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
also i've got qestion: why i should install mac os before i try to install windows?

is it mandatory?

Attachments

• IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

aiming

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
I think torana355 was referring to the fact that the step by step for using terminal commands to setup the Fusion Break then SSD + Partition Fusion isn't very clear in most of these threads.

The twocanoes guide is basically just for the 3TB drive portion of the work effort.

Using the Twocanoes method you never unlink the fusion drive and the Mac OS partition. Instead you just shrink it, and make place for a new Windows partition within the 2.2TB. This new Windows partition will not be linked with the fusion drive.
But as far as the Mac OS partition, you will not have to do any linking between it and the Fusion drive, seeing that you never unlinked the two, right?

alienatf

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
So what i've done:

1) Unfusion, partiton 3 drives (800+800+1400), refusion (ssd+800)
2) Unfusion, partiton 3 drives (800+800+1400), refusion (ssd+800+1400)
3) Unfusion, partiton 4 drives (800+800+1400), withoud refusion
4) Unfusion, partiton 4 drives (500+500+800+1400), withoud refusion

none of this methods doesn't work

maybe i've got faulty win7 iso image - it's russian

also i do no understand why i hsould install mac os or refusion drives before install windows......

and last thing gets me confising: terminal command "diskutil list" shows me very long list, but there is no drives connected (check out attachment)

guys help me please )

Attachments

• IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 115
Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
tryed to do that 5 times, checked everything

windows installer return me 0x80300024 error - could't install to this location (or something like that)

Guys when you first get to the windows installer you have to format the correct partition as NTFS, after that you will still get a message saying you cant install to that partition, all you have to do is reboot the iMac back to the Win7 USB stick again and the error message will be gone, i have repeated this result!!!

alienatf

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Russia, Moscow
Guys when you first get to the windows installer you have to format the correct partition as NTFS, after that you will still get a message saying you cant install to that partition, all you have to do is reboot the iMac back to the Win7 USB stick again and the error message will be gone, i have repeated this result!!!

No, still same error:
after i select correct partition to install i'got message that windows could create addition partitions for it's need and then error 0x80300024 could't install to this location

Last edited:

torana355

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
No, still same error:
after i select correct partition to install i'got message that windows could create addition partitions for it's need and then error 0x80300024 could't install to this location

If you google that error it seems to be a common issue, you have to remove all other drives except the one you are installing windows too so windows does not see any drives with GPT (GUID) which could be a big pain with the iMac..A good way to trick it is to format the SSD as MBR (master boot record) Then install windows on the HDD, then go back and reformat the ssd back to GUID and fuse it back with the HDD partition and reinstall OSX.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.