Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghislain

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
I believe that you are in error.

Can you please specify which OS and drivers you are using?

I will recreate tests in a 5,1 Mac Pro as I have both cards handy.

Aside from which, basing purchase decisions solely on Unigine Benchmark is a good choice only if you plan to earn a living solely running the Unigine Benchmark. There are many aspects to GPU performance, this is only one of them.

Mac Pro 2010 8 Go RAM, Mac Os 10.8.2 and I installed Nvidia driver "Retail-304.00.05f02-macosx" for Lion. Is that OK?

Last edited:

ghislain

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Last edited:

silvercircle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
My bench is about half of that. May be I have not the right driver. Could you tell me which driver you use? Thanks in advance.

Same driver as you: 304.00.05f02, CUDA 5.0.37.

Maybe you use different settings, I use the default Unigine settings.
I start up and run a full screen benchmark.

Maybe it is because I have the SC version?

Screen size also makes a difference (but can not explain why a 5870
performs better for you)

Do you have another card beside the GTX installed? If this is the case, remove your 5870 and try again. When I install a 5870 or 5770 together with my GTX 680, frame rates drop significant!

ghislain

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Same driver as you: 304.00.05f02, CUDA 5.0.37.

Maybe you use different settings, I use the default Unigine settings.
I start up and run a full screen benchmark.

Maybe it is because I have the SC version?

Screen size also makes a difference (but can not explain why a 5870
performs better for you)

Do you have another card beside the GTX installed? If this is the case, remove your 5870 and try again. When I install a 5870 or 5770 together with my GTX 680, frame rates drop significant!

may be this is the reason, but I am not too keen about removing the 5870 just to try again (small heath problem which prevent me to easily handle this rather heavy machine..) and I would have to put it back anyway. Otherwise, I also used the default Unigine settings and full screen, but on the basic edition. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Last edited:

hackerwayne

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2012
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Not sure if this has been mentioned before. The new iMac was announced and the highest end model will ship with a GTX675MX. Is the EFI compatible with GTX 680? I got myself a piece of Leadtek GTX 680, if a possible EFI is coming to the GTX 680 then i don't have to buy another GTX 580 just to have the boot screen (might as well just buy 2 x GTX 680 lol, as 580 are hard to find now :()

xaf9jtqkkq.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I reproduced silvercircle's benchmark score with my stock GTX680 card. I am within 1 FPS using the non-SC card in my 2010 MP.

silvercircle

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I wonder if any of the GTX or other NVIDIA cards perform equal in OSX and Windows.

Is it only a driver issue or is it something else?

My GTX 680 performs reasonably under ML now but when I run Windows it is still a whole lot better (read faster).
So, even if NVIDIA provide us with the best driver possible, will these cards ever perform the same under OS X as under Windows?

I also noticed that you can set better options (texture res) in x-plane under windows than under ML before you run out of memory.
This has nothing to do with the drivers of course but a better memory management.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Well got the evga GTX 680 SC with the 2G VRAM installed today, replacing the 5870 on my latest Mac Pro model running 10.8.2.

No problems here. Haven't tested the game or Boot Camp yet but that's for tonight.

Do all the adobe apps run as fast or faster than your 5870?

stevedusa

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Do all the adobe apps run as fast or faster than your 5870?

Yeah I actually did a clean reinstall, with the replaced 5870 for EFI boot then updated to 10.8.2 and switched to GTX 680.

After the driver and CUDA driver, I noticed some improvement when it comes to OpenCL related operations in both PS and PR, CS6.

cricker

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
But does anyone have real life results on a GTX 680 or GTX 670 2GB in use for CUDA tasks. Not really interested in how this card games.

I'm just trying to make a decision between GTX 570 and GTX 670.

jmaynard

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Fairmont, Minnesota
I stumbled upon this thread looking for a replacement for my ATI 5770. I'd EFI-flashed it a couple of years ago when I installed it.

I'm not looking to spend $500 on a graphics card for my aging MacPro2,1 system (2007, first-generation dual-quad 3 GHz Xeon). The main thing I want above all else is a decent framerate running the Firestorm viewer for Second Life. It's pretty dismal with the 5770, and I'd tentatively come to the conclusion that the fault does not lie with the graphics card but rather the system memory bandwidth. Both the Macbook Pro I have (mid 2011, ATI 6750) and a $500 Linux system I built up with an AMD A10-5800K APU (with built-in ATI 7660) outrun it handily.

But now the system locks up with a white screen, and I'm beginning to suspect the graphics card itself is the problem. I've got a couple of tests in mind, but if they point to the graphics card, then it's time to replace it.

My roommate has a GTX 570 in his system and gets good performance out of it - double the framerate I'm seeing from the 5770. I don't know if I'd see that much improvement by stuffing a GTX 570 in my box, but at the current going price of $250 or so, it's an attractive upgrade assuming I can flash the thing.

I'm not going to pop for a 680, though. Just too expensive.

Am I on the right track, or should i look for some less expensive option?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Am I on the right track, or should i look for some less expensive option?

A GTX 570 will easily extend the life of your system for a couple more years, definitely a great choice (probably the best option for systems that can't support a Kepler card).

cricker

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
I've been given the go ahead to buy 4 new graphics cards for our Mac Pro's.

So now its really decision time.

These are fully for Adobe CUDA applications. I have a $450 budget per card.

2GB 680 or a 2-4GB 670?

Does the extra RAM make a huge difference in CUDA, i dont know.

Is there a big speed difference that is useful in 5,1 Mac Pro's when using a 680 over a 670?

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Is there a big speed difference that is useful in 5,1 Mac Pro's when using a 680 over a 670?

If you don't care about the 2GB OpenCL restriction, then the 4GB 670 might be a good choice. The main difference between the 670 and 680 is that one of the shader cores is disabled:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga

The 680s are still up in the $470+ range, so some kind of 670 will be easier to fit into your budget. The extra RAM will make it easier to run CUDA stuff in addition to graphics stuff, I'd consider 2GB the absolute bare minimum these days and obviously 4GB will be better in the long run if you can afford it now.

cricker

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks mate.

SO if I could squeeze out a gtx 680 which one takes only 2 x 6 pin connectors and not an 8 pin? Cant seem to find that information very easily on the amazon site.

cricker

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Alright looking like I'm going to go down the path of a GTX 670 EVGA FTW 2GB.

Amazon wont ship these cards directly to Australia, so it looks like I might have to buy these locally at their ridiculous over priced rate of $500 per card. But it'll be simpler I figure on warranty, delivery etc than going through a third party shipper in the US.

From all i've read, these are plug and play. So best of luck to me!

rkrumwiede

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
EVGA GTX 680 2GB Mac Pro 3,1 (3) ACD 2 DVI-D 1 DP

Has anyone managed to get (3) Apple Cinema Displays running on the GTX 680? I have connected two (2) of the three (3) ACD's to the EVGA GTX 680 directly and the last display with a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter that is connected directly to the Apple Active Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter that is powered by a USB port. If the DisplayPort is disconnected both DVI-I and DVI-D drive two of the displays perfectly. Once the DisplayPort cable is attached to the EVGA GTX 680, one of the two DVI connections is disabled and the GTX 680 will drive one DVI and one DisplayPort connections. This confirms the DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort to Apple Active Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter works perfectly which is no small feat. This new EVGA GTX 680 has been Netkas'd by modifying the OpenCL.framework files Hex. Any help / guidance is apprecitaed in advance. Thanks MacRumors forum members in advance!:apple::rolleyes:

PS. If anyone can confirm this is due to 2560X1600 resolution using (3) Apple Cinema Display (ACD's) with an EVGA GTX 680 with only 2GB of VRAM please reply! Thank you

OSX 10.8.2
Nvidia Cuda Driver 8.0.61 295.30.20f02

UPDATE: Moving to the newest Nvidia Driver labeled 304.00.05.05f02 Nvidia's 8.1.0 304.00.05f02 driver added support for the DisplayPort (DP) interface allowing 3 Apple Cinema Display's running at full 2560X1600 resolution using one DisplayPort to MiniDisplayPort Cable Dongle to Apple's Active MiniDisplayPort to DVI-D adapter. This enables native connectivity to (2) of the ACD's natively via DVI-D and (1) connection via the franken cable adapter for the third Apple Cinema Display (ACD). Note that there is no requirement for a 4GB GTX GPU with this setup which was discussed on a previous thread.

Link provided here, super hard to even when searching specifically

Attachments

• 680.png
    680.png
    127.4 KB · Views: 130
  • cuda-z.png
    cuda-z.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 136
  • GTX680 3 acd Oct 2012 304.00.05 drv.png
    GTX680 3 acd Oct 2012 304.00.05 drv.png
    100 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Has anyone managed to get (3) Apple Cinema Displays running on the GTX 680? I have connected two (2) of the three (3) ACD's to the EVGA GTX 680 directly and the last display with a DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort adapter that is connected directly to the Apple Active Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D adapter that is powered by a USB port. If the DisplayPort is disconnected both DVI-I and DVI-D drive two of the displays perfectly. Once the DisplayPort cable is attached to the EVGA GTX 680, one of the two DVI connections is disabled and the GTX 680 will drive one DVI and one DisplayPort connections. This confirms the DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort to Apple Active Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter works perfectly which is no small feat. This new EVGA GTX 680 has been Netkas'd by modifying the OpenCL.framework files Hex. Any help / guidance is apprecitaed in advance. Thanks MacRumors forum members in advance!:apple::rolleyes:

PS. If anyone can confirm this is due to 2560X1600 resolution using (3) ACD's with an EVGA GTX 680 with only 2GB of VRAM please reply! Thank you

You left out the most important details, OS and Nvidia driver version.

ffzero

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Okay I’m trying to get my new 4GB GTX 680 working in my 12 Core 2010 Mac pro but I’m having no luck, though I think this may be because of a little confusion on my part. From what I understand from reading through some of this thread a 2GB GTX 680 will function perfectly out of the box because it only requires 2 6-pin connectors so there’s no problem with power supply, however the 4GB version won’t work without adapters to take one of the 6 pins to an 8 pin?

Sorry if I’m getting this completely wrong but I’m still very much a newbie when it comes to things like this so please bear with me.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Okay I’m trying to get my new 4GB GTX 680 working in my 12 Core 2010 Mac pro but I’m having no luck, though I think this may be because of a little confusion on my part. From what I understand from reading through some of this thread a 2GB GTX 680 will function perfectly out of the box because it only requires 2 6-pin connectors so there’s no problem with power supply, however the 4GB version won’t work without adapters to take one of the 6 pins to an 8 pin?

Sorry if I’m getting this completely wrong but I’m still very much a newbie when it comes to things like this so please bear with me.

You should use a card with 2 6 pin power connectors, or rig up an external power supply for the one you bought.

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I am currently running a stock 5770 on my 6x3.33, 10.7.5, 32GB RAM.

Often times I feel the card may be buggy as I get strange screen flashes when accessing the dock and a few times I have gotten scrolling color-crazy pixels on re-starts requiring a complete shutdown. I never have KP's of any kind, run my boot volume off of an SSD.

But lately I have been considering Apple's sloooooow MP refresh track and want to max out my machine so aside from going to 48GB of ram, I am considering a GTX 570. I use Premiere, Cineform Pro, CS6 and a host of still editing programs ( FYI, editing is *not* post processing ).

What card should I be looking at to get the most out of this machine at the moment without hacks or other risky stuff?

andrabr

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
Success Report - well, mostly

Gigabyte GV-N680WF3-2GD has made it into my Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) -thank you, Santa!

It is basically your stock NVIDIA 680, but with 3 fans, and without over clocking. Hopefully, it will be quiet.

The box contained two cables:
1) two 4-pin molex to a 6-pin, and
2) two 4-pin molex to an 8-pin.

The second cable had only 6 out 8 pins actually populated. I wonder why Gigabyte bothered with an 8-pin in the first place... compatibility? I filed a question with their tech support - no response so far. I used it anyway(for now), but I am vary tempted to switch to a 6-to-8 cable and take the power directly from the motherboard.

Experience with the stock drivers:

I am running 10.8.2 so the card was instantly recognized, but it would only operate two monitors: DisplayPort and one DVI.

It is possible that in your scenario it will handle 2 DVI ports - I have to use a DVI-to-VGS adapter on my second DVI port, it might interfere somehow.

When I plug the HDMI cable into anything, there is a blip on all monitors like the OS has noticed an event, but the new display is NOT recognized.​

Experience with NVIDIA 304.00.05f02 drivers:

Four monitors are up and running beautifully (yes, I need five, but that's another story). There is only one hiccup: It would appear that the HDMI device recognition is borked. I cannot tell yet whether it's a driver problem, a card design issue, or an actual fault.

Basically, if the HDMI cable is plugged into ANYTHING at boot, the system hangs. Same happens when it tries to wake up from sleep. If I boot the computer and THEN plug the cable into a monitor, everything works perfectly.

If you have run into smth similar ( or enjoy a perfectly working HDMI on Mac Pro 3.1 with a 680) - I would love to know.

I'll keep digging. meanwhile, if the community wants to know anything - I have no problem posting a few screen shots :)

rkrumwiede

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
Gigabyte GV-N680WF3-2GD has made it into my Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) -thank you, Santa!

It is basically your stock NVIDIA 680, but with 3 fans, and without over clocking. Hopefully, it will be quiet.

The box contained two cables:
1) two 4-pin molex to a 6-pin, and
2) two 4-pin molex to an 8-pin.

The second cable had only 6 out 8 pins actually populated. I wonder why Gigabyte bothered with an 8-pin in the first place... compatibility? I filed a question with their tech support - no response so far. I used it anyway(for now), but I am vary tempted to switch to a 6-to-8 cable and take the power directly from the motherboard.

Experience with the stock drivers:

I am running 10.8.2 so the card was instantly recognized, but it would only operate two monitors: DisplayPort and one DVI.

It is possible that in your scenario it will handle 2 DVI ports - I have to use a DVI-to-VGS adapter on my second DVI port, it might interfere somehow.

When I plug the HDMI cable into anything, there is a blip on all monitors like the OS has noticed an event, but the new display is NOT recognized.​

Experience with NVIDIA 304.00.05f02 drivers:

Four monitors are up and running beautifully (yes, I need five, but that's another story). There is only one hiccup: It would appear that the HDMI device recognition is borked. I cannot tell yet whether it's a driver problem, a card design issue, or an actual fault.

Basically, if the HDMI cable is plugged into ANYTHING at boot, the system hangs. Same happens when it tries to wake up from sleep. If I boot the computer and THEN plug the cable into a monitor, everything works perfectly.

If you have run into smth similar ( or enjoy a perfectly working HDMI on Mac Pro 3.1 with a 680) - I would love to know.

I'll keep digging. meanwhile, if the community wants to know anything - I have no problem posting a few screen shots :)

Very interesting, I will give this a try this evening and see what happens. I have a very similar setup

adww12321

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2012
Question about GTX670 vs stock 5770

2012 MP owner here (old machine finally croaked, had to take the plunge despite wanting to hold-out.)

I've got the stock 5770 and was thinking about taking the leap to a GTX670. My two big questions --

1) is the eVGA version of the GTX670 a quiet card? Specifically this one. Is it as quiet as the stock 5770 card at idle? (Or possibly quieter due to its higher efficiency?)

2) Will I notice a performance difference in day-to-day, non-CUDA requiring tasks. That is, does it make the UI feel more responsive? I'm driving 2 27" ACDs.

Thanks!

dpny

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2013
1) is the eVGA version of the GTX670 a quiet card? Specifically this one. Is it as quiet as the stock 5770 card at idle? (Or possibly quieter due to its higher efficiency?)

I have this card in a 2010 Mac Pro, and it's quieter than the stock 5870 I had in it before.

2) Will I notice a performance difference in day-to-day, non-CUDA requiring tasks. That is, does it make the UI feel more responsive? I'm driving 2 27" ACDs.

I can't tell if I've seen a difference in day-to-day use, but I'm only driving on 21" monitor at 1920x1080. I've noticed a significant difference in gaming, which is why I got the card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.