Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
But what about composing an email from your phone, won't it be sent from and icloud address? Personally I need to have my address show up as gmail.

Yes it will and so will replying to an email forwarded to iCloud. Does it really matter? As long as all emails arrive in the iCloud (or any account) you get them immediately.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Yes it will and so will replying to an email forwarded to iCloud. Does it really matter? As long as all emails arrive in the iCloud (or any account) you get them immediately.

Actually it does. When they reply to a email that was sent from my iphone then it will be sent only to my icloud address, so that email won't be available on any of my other devices including my laptop.

I need that email to populate on all my devices.

Last edited:

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Actually it does. When they reply to a email that was sent from my iphone then it will be sent only to my icloud address, so that email won't be available on any of my other devices including my laptop.

I need that email to populate on all my devices.

So why wouldn't you enable iCloud on your other devices?

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
So why wouldn't you enable iCloud on your other devices?

Then why have gmail at all? Why have two accounts? Lol.

You can use the gmail app for push email. And you can carddav for contacts sync and caldav for calendar.

No need to use icloud, have multiple email accounts and forwarding this and that.

This will achieve the same thing as gmail through exchange. It's just a little harder to set up. Exactly what google is trying to accomplish.

----------

Plus I can use exchange until I use a new device anyways. I have tried the gmail app, carddav and caldav setup an it works fine.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Then why have gmail at all?

Why, indeed? iCloud e-mail is accessible over multiple devices and clients, and supports IMAP idle. There's no reason why you can't use it as your primary e-mail on everything, even windows PCs or Android devices.

This will achieve the same thing as gmail through exchange. It's just a little harder to set up. Exactly what google is trying to accomplish.

Exactly. Why give them the satisfaction? If you're going to have to go through the whol eprocess of setting up cardDAV, CalDAV and client-based e-mail, might as well ditch 'em and set those same things up with another service!

----------

Google is thumbing the eye of Apple every chance it gets.

Ironically enough, this isn't about Apple at all. If you want proof of that, just see how Google is screwing Microsoft Windows Phone users. They aren't getting ANY help for their phones which support only IMAP/POP and EAS, and have no native support for CalDAV/CardDAV. No Google app. Nothing.

The claim over there is the same: Google has it in for Windows Phone/Microsoft. But I think the reality is a little less sophisticated: Google has a huge agenda to push open source standards and shun proprietary standards. Not because It's The Right Thing To Do as FOSS pundits would like to delude themsleves into thinking, but because open standards are (unfortunately) more easily bendable to Google's motives and agenda. And they just don't care who that inconveniences.

It also doesn't hurt that going forward, the only way to get Google sync to work without any special apps, without fumbling with "other" account types, without screwing around with your settings, is to get an Android phone.

This isn't an Apple thing, or a Microsoft thing or a Blackberry thing. It's a Make People Use Google thing.

Last edited:

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Why, indeed? iCloud e-mail is accessible over multiple devices and clients, and supports IMAP idle. There's no reason why you can't use it as your primary e-mail on everything, even windows PCs or Android devices.

Exactly. Why give them the satisfaction? If you're going to have to go through the whol eprocess of setting up cardDAV, CalDAV and client-based e-mail, might as well ditch 'em and set those same things up with another service!

----------

Ironically enough, this isn't about Apple at all. If you want proof of that, just see how Google is screwing Microsoft Windows Phone users. They aren't getting ANY help for their phones which support only IMAP and EAS, and have no native support for CalDAV/CardDAV. No Google app. Nothing.

The claim over there is the same: Google has it in for Windows Phone/Microsoft. But I think the reality is a little less sophisticated: Google has a huge agenda to push open source standards and shun proprietary standards. Not because It's The Right Thing To Do as FOSS pundits would like to delude themsleves into thinking, but because open standards are (unfortunately) more easily bendable to Google's motives and agenda. And they just don't care who that inconveniences.

You're saying I should move all my contacts, calendar and email subscriptions to icloud and close, be done with gmail, google altogether?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
You're saying I should move all my contacts, calendar and email subscriptions to icloud and close, be done with gmail, google altogether?

Many of us have done just that and haven't looked back. It's a lot easier than some people make it out to be.

I would leave the gmail account intact (as in, don't delete it) so that if you have a change of heart later you still have that user ID reserved.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
How does one retrieve icloud email from a PC ?

I have a Blackberry Playbook and a iPhone 4S, I can get imap idle with iCloud on my Playbook?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

I'm not saying you should do anything. You're an adult. Do what you please.

At the same time, Google certainly isn't giving people reasons NOT to.

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Then why have gmail at all? Why have two accounts? Lol.

You can use the gmail app for push email. And you can carddav for contacts sync and caldav for calendar.

No need to use icloud, have multiple email accounts and forwarding this and that.

----------

Plus I can use exchange until I use a new device anyways. I have tried the gmail app, carddav and caldav setup an it works fine.

It's a pain in arse to set up, especially for people who aren't techies. Why set up 3 different set ups for the same account?? Plus you can't use it like you could before. Can't invite anyone to an event from caldav....

I don't wanna use the gmail app....why is google telling me how to use their product? This mobile war is crappy for the consumer. No more google for me. Sad since I've used gmail since 2004.

Last edited:

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
It's a pain in arse to set up, especially for people who aren't techies. Why set up 3 different set ups for the same account?? Plus you can't use it like you could before. Can't invite anyone to an event from caldav....

I don't wanna use the gmail app....why is google telling me how to use their product? This mobile war is crappy for the consumer. No more google for me. Sad since I've used gmail since 2004.

I don't use the calendar for invites, so I'm good.

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I don't use the calendar for invites, so I'm good.

So ur ok with google telling u that u have to use their app if u want push? U can't even control the sound in the app for incoming mail either. Plenty of people rely on invites and u didn't know they existed. U have to setup your account 3 times to get somewhat similar results.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I am not ever switching to iCloud. iCloud is the worst cloud service, which doesn't even have proper file management and cannot be used on multiple OS's and it's even ******* on web browsers.

I have 2 questions regarding Gmail:

1) Does IMAP support push?
2) If not, is the new Gmail app good? Because on my iPhone 4S, it lags a lot. Especially when pinch to zooming.

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
If I had a way to change the notification sound for the Gmail app I would probably use it.. It's not a bad mail app, but I'd rather use one mail app for everything...

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I am not ever switching to iCloud. iCloud is the worst cloud service, which doesn't even have proper file management and cannot be used on multiple OS's and it's even ******* on web browsers.

I have 2 questions regarding Gmail:

1) Does IMAP support push?
2) If not, is the new Gmail app good? Because on my iPhone 4S, it lags a lot. Especially when pinch to zooming.

No IMAP doesn't support push. The Gmail app is OK but has some drawbacks; can't change notification sound, has lousy font support, can't integrate with calendar or maps.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
No IMAP doesn't support push. The Gmail app is OK but has some drawbacks; can't change notification sound, has lousy font support, can't integrate with calendar or maps.

What about performance? The other stuff will probably be fixed with updates. Then Gmail app + carddav + caldav is a good option. Considering I have my whole life in my Gmail since 2004, switching is not. :)

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
So ur ok with google telling u that u have to use their app if u want push? U can't even control the sound in the app for incoming mail either. Plenty of people rely on invites and u didn't know they existed. U have to setup your account 3 times to get somewhat similar results.

Setting it up only takes 5 min of my time. I don't mind the alert sound.

I'm using exchange any ways at the moment. I plan on using my iphone for quite a while. Kinda stuck with it. I'll only loose sync when I buy a new device.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California

----------

Ironically enough, this isn't about Apple at all. If you want proof of that, just see how Google is screwing Microsoft Windows Phone users. They aren't getting ANY help for their phones which support only IMAP/POP and EAS, and have no native support for CalDAV/CardDAV. No Google app. Nothing.

It also doesn't hurt that going forward, the only way to get Google sync to work without any special apps, without fumbling with "other" account types, without screwing around with your settings, is to get an Android phone.

This isn't an Apple thing, or a Microsoft thing or a Blackberry thing. It's a Make People Use Google thing.

Wow, nice tin foil hat. This has nothing to do with "having it in" for Microsoft. They simply don't see the point of paying for EAS licensing for all those free users (us). That's why google accounts for education and business (paid accounts) still get EAS. EAS isn't free, so why would google support it? Gmail supports imap, caldav and carddav. That's why on iOS, we have the choice of using imap for everything, or DAV support. This is a standard that is widely used, so why doesn't windows phone have DAV support? There's no real reason. Microsoft is never open to standards.

And don't tell me that they don't support it because they want you to use EAS / outlook.com; apple wants you to use iCloud but they stil support it.

The only place were Goolge is remotely screwing Microsoft is when they said they have no plans on making apps for windows phone... But do you blame then? In comparison to Android and iOS, it has virtually no users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.