Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback

Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:10 PM   #26
snowleopard48
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
Another "vote" for leaving it alone. Why the urgency to change everything all the time? If things were broken, I would understand, but this isn't broken at all.
I don't think you're understanding the fact that it's important for MR to have a nice image to keep it fresh and active. You may not like it, but thinks have to change every now and then.

Plus, we've all had plenty of time to enjoy this theme.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:31 PM   #27
brad.c
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUADock View Post
Apple products in general have good aesthetics both software and hardware, MacRumors doesn't reflect that.
Abandoning function by pushing (what sounds like) an unproven, unstable forum platform, simply for the sake of change? With Maps in mind, maybe MacRumors shouldn't reflect all things Apple.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:40 PM   #28
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowleopard48 View Post
I don't think you're understanding the fact that it's important for MR to have a nice image to keep it fresh and active. You may not like it, but thinks have to change every now and then.

Plus, we've all had plenty of time to enjoy this theme.
You may be right that I don't understand the concept of changing themes being the key to a forum being fresh and active. I think forums are communities where content is what makes or breaks it, and arbitrarily making changes usually hinders/delays useability by making people re-learn how to participate. In giving it more thought, I see now that if we didn't change things constantly, we'd still be wearing animal skins and using spears to get dinner.

Onward... onward to The Three Shells, zero murder/death/kills and flying cars that take us to fine dining at Taco Bell!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 11:32 PM   #29
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

While I actually like the look of the mobile forum theme now the real issue is functionality. Go to any modern forum and their functionality will show you that MR is really basic. It works, but barely. I mean, where is Quick Reply? That has been around for almost a decade now.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:45 AM   #30
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
While I actually like the look of the mobile forum theme now the real issue is functionality. Go to any modern forum and their functionality will show you that MR is really basic. It works, but barely. I mean, where is Quick Reply? That has been around for almost a decade now.
I wish I could copy and paste in the mobile theme and multiple reply would nice too.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:57 AM   #31
-Ryan-
macrumors 68000

I like this theme. It's simple, easy to use and doesn't distract from the content. The buttons have seen better days though, but to commission new (even more simple) buttons couldn't be too expensive. Moving to another forum software would be a real pain, and sadly vBulletin seems to have gone very much downhill since Jelsoft was bought out.
-Ryan- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 03:15 AM   #32
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
I like this theme. It's simple, easy to use and doesn't distract from the content. The buttons have seen better days though, but to commission new (even more simple) buttons couldn't be too expensive. Moving to another forum software would be a real pain, and sadly vBulletin seems to have gone very much downhill since Jelsoft was bought out.
With the wealth of graphic designers on this site, I'm sure you wouldn't need to do much at all, and not pay anything to get a complete new set of icons. Many probably even have experience designing for vB3.
Comeagain? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:29 AM   #33
frjonah
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to frjonah Send a message via Yahoo to frjonah Send a message via Skype™ to frjonah
I like it as-is... it's a big improvement from the old site and it sounds to me that the only argument for changing it is that, "well, it could maybe use a refresh...". That's not compelling.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:35 PM   #34
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
I love the theme they're using right now. It looks a lot nicer than most forums IMO. On older browsers, vBB3 was a lot more functional. vBB5 is way too JavaScript-heavy, especially compared to other forums, and I didn't see much more functionality at all.

I thought Snitz was nice as well, even though it uses ASP . I'm about to use it for a forum I'm creating.
Tumblr
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:38 PM   #35
QuarterSwede
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddyracer View Post
I wish I could copy and paste in the mobile theme and multiple reply would nice too.
You can copy and paste in mobile.
QuarterSwede is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:40 AM   #36
snowleopard48
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
You may be right that I don't understand the concept of changing themes being the key to a forum being fresh and active. I think forums are communities where content is what makes or breaks it, and arbitrarily making changes usually hinders/delays useability by making people re-learn how to participate. In giving it more thought, I see now that if we didn't change things constantly, we'd still be wearing animal skins and using spears to get dinner.
Trust me, design does have a large point of it. I totally agree that content is very important as well, possibly more so than design. But I've been part of a forum that started to gain a lot of activity once they refreshed the design. It does play a part in it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:15 AM   #37
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterSwede View Post
You can copy and paste in mobile.
How? It don't work.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:48 AM   #38
Comeagain?
macrumors 68020

Quote: