Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
Wow, nice tin foil hat. This has nothing to do with "having it in" for Microsoft. They simply don't see the point of paying for EAS licensing for all those free users (us).

Android supports EAS, so wouldn't they be paying those licences anyway?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
What about performance? The other stuff will probably be fixed with updates. Then Gmail app + carddav + caldav is a good option. Considering I have my whole life in my Gmail since 2004, switching is not. :)

Well one option not being supported is native calendar invite support w/o active sync. And read/delete/move sync between Gmail inbox and Gmail app.

----------

Setting it up only takes 5 min of my time. I don't mind the alert sound.

I'm using exchange any ways at the moment. I plan on using my iphone for quite a while. Kinda stuck with it. I'll only loose sync when I buy a new device.

Or you get a replacement, restore your current iPhone, or get an iPad.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Well one option not being supported is native calendar invite support w/o active sync. And read/delete/move sync between Gmail inbox and Gmail app.

----------

Or you get a replacement, restore your current iPhone, or get an iPad.

Phone is working fine now.

If I have to change devices after the new year, then gmail app, caldav and carddav will be just fine. I've used this set up already and it works fine. Doesn't make having gmail any less pleasant for me. I'm good.

professor peach

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2007
I'm not sure if it's still going (or supported) but a long time ago, I used "Nuevasync"

Looks good. Any review?

Not much to say! I, personally, had zero problems with the service! It was, actually, more reliable than than Google's own solution!

The only reason that I stopped using it was to save myself $30 a year!

If / when Google sync stops working, I will go back to "NuevaSync"! My only concern is that there doesn't seem to be much activity on their website or forum.

It would be good if someone could confirm that everything is still well at "NuevaSync"!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Getting mixed info on this. Mine is a business account. I take it won't affect me at all or it will affect me on future devices. My email domain is grandfathered on the free business accounts that I think they now charge $50 per year. The info doesn't seem to address these older free business accounts. It just says business accounts are not affected by this change. :confused:
Easy

If yours is free, then its not the Business edition.

"Google Apps, Google Apps for Business, Government and Education"

Free, cost, cost, cost

----------

It seems as though all devices that are now set up to use AES will continue to work after the 30th. I think the trouble comes when setting up a new device. Google needs to be more clear on what will happen

Clear? They are very clear.

Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync, however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education users who are unaffected by this announcement.
Who does this affect?
We're ending support for Google Sync for all users, other than paid Google Apps users. Google Apps for Business, Education, and Government customers are not affected by this announcement.
http://support.google.com/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2716936

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
It was free businesses in the past. It is considered a business account. That's the confusion that is out there.

No. Business acct was never free.

There was no confusion in Google's language. As I quoted above,'Google Apps' free/standard with up to 10 users and 'Google Apps for Business' two different things.

I created a family account on it back 2010ish and it wasn't confusing then or now.

coolguy949

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Phone is working fine now.

If I have to change devices after the new year, then gmail app, caldav and carddav will be just fine. I've used this set up already and it works fine. Doesn't make having gmail any less pleasant for me. I'm good.

Same here. I've been using the GMail app exclusively now since it supports proper email deletion (discovered tons of email archived when I deleted them from iOS) and labels. Plus, the UI is nice. Works great for me.

I still used EAS for contacts and calendar for a while. I've now switched to CalDAV and CardDAV and it seems to work fine. I like how I can now choose from my individual Google calendars too. So far, so good.

Hmm. Can you explain more? I can add invitees fine from what I can tell.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I made the switch to Outlook.com with my own domain, perfect! I used pop3 to import 13000 messages from GMail. Really liking the new interface, and it works brilliantly across all of my devices.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I made the switch to Outlook.com with my own domain, perfect! I used pop3 to import 13000 messages from GMail. Really liking the new interface, and it works brilliantly across all of my devices.

Only supports one email, yes?

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
You can create up to 500 accounts for free. Each account can have one email address on your domain and unlimited outlook.com aliases. You can even enable public sign up, so anyone could use your domain (I haven't done this). If you wanted more forwarding accounts you could just create a new account on your domain and set it to forward.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
You can create up to 500 accounts for free. Each account can have one email address on your domain and unlimited outlook.com aliases. You can even enable public sign up, so anyone could use your domain (I haven't done this). If you wanted more forwarding accounts you could just create a new account on your domain and set it to forward.

Ohhhh will keep, in mine investigate.

Only have 5 on current... But have more family that seem to like the surname email. And lack of exchange could be an issue.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
It seems like Google is already phasing out Exchange features.

I can't see a way to select which Calendars sync to your device(s) using Exchange.

That means that if you add a new Calendar, you won't be able to see it on your device using Exchange.

The site where you used to be able to change which calendars showed up now only seems to affect CalDav.

iErick

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
It seems like Google is already phasing out Exchange features.

I can't see a way to select which Calendars sync to your device(s) using Exchange.

That means that if you add a new Calendar, you won't be able to see it on your device using Exchange.

The site where you used to be able to change which calendars showed up now only seems to affect CalDav.

https://m.google.com/sync/settings/iconfig/welcome

ceevee

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2012
That's all good and true unless you have to restore iOS through iTunes. Or if you get your phone replaced through Apple Care.

Is this true? If you restore or get a new iphone and restore, google sync will not create a new account every time.

I've restored my iphone 5 many times and checked the device management link under google sync and there aren't any new iphone accounts created, just the one.

So as long as your iphone has been using EAS, you should be able to continue using EAS after January.

Can anyone confirm?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
FYI

Outlook.com allows custom domains, 500 accounts. Email, contact, calendar sync via exchange.

Im already planning the switch. Dunno when, but probably around the time I upgrade next.

Google has ~15-20 months to fix their attitude/service.

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
FYI

Outlook.com allows custom domains, 500 accounts. Email, contact, calendar sync via exchange.

Im already planning the switch. Dunno when, but probably around the time I upgrade next.

Google has ~15-20 months to fix their attitude/service.

I already have switched, imported 6 years if email via POP3. Much better service IMO.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
Interestingly I can still setup Gmail via Exchange method on iOS ... maybe it was for NEW created accounts after Jan 30, 2013 ... and will always work for older accounts who have this enabled beforehand ....

shaguaaa

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
People will just have to add accounts for caldav and carddav.
ipad

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Has anyone tried resync'ing a back up from an older iPhone to a newly swapped iPhone to see the results of GMail EAS?

Google's description is quite vague and doesn't pinpoint what's going.

EDIT:

Today I've test new GMail's EAS connection, used one of the GF's account on one of my devices that never had that account activated before.

1) Validation passes

2) Fetch mail - fails

3) Pushed email - never makes it

Last edited:

PittsDriver

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Well, my worst nightmare has happened. I had to get a new iPhone from Apple and I can no longer get push Gmail. My contacts and calendar all synced through google sync. What can I do to get my stuff up and running again? What is the best option?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.