Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
After much deliberation I Went all in. Ordered a 27 with everything a couple days ago. No idea when it'll arrive though :D

snugja

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Real Ultimate

3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB
768GB Flash Storage :D:D
NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 680MX 2G GDDR5
MAGIC TRACKPAD
Apple WL Kybd (English)+UG

Excited to open this puppy up tomorrow! Well, might wait till Christmas to make this even better!

NVRENUF!

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
PERTH, Australia
27"
3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
24gb 1600MHz DDR3
120gb SSD
680MX 2G GDDR5
Magic Trackpad and Mouse
Wireless Apple keyboard and sometimes my logitech one.
Apple super Drive

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
I would like to run the external SSD setup... how are you doing it? Thunderbolt enclosure, USB 3, etc?

Thunderbolt enclosure (Amazon) + Thunderbolt Cable + Samsung S830 series 256 GB

read = 360, write = 310 :) But I had some issues with installing OS X. When I tried a fresh install, using the recovery partition, I ended up having to wait for over 40 (!) hours to get the download of additional components done. Booting and installing from a pendrive (USB 2.0) didn't work either, although this trick did the job on my MacBook Air. I just ended up cloning the SSD of my MBA to the enclosure (worked like a charm).

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Thunderbolt enclosure (Amazon) + Thunderbolt Cable + Samsung S830 series 256 GB

read = 360, write = 310 :) But I had some issues with installing OS X. When I tried a fresh install, using the recovery partition, I ended up having to wait for over 40 (!) hours to get the download of additional components done. Booting and installing from a pendrive (USB 2.0) didn't work either, although this trick did the job on my MacBook Air. I just ended up cloning the SSD of my MBA to the enclosure (worked like a charm).

That enclosure is utter crap when used with an SSD. Because it is bus powered instead of using its own power source it is very unstable. You should have gotten the Seagate desktop adapter which would eliminate the problems you had.

Sjhonny

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2011
The land of the cucumbers
That enclosure is utter crap when used with an SSD. Because it is bus powered instead of using its own power source it is very unstable. You should have gotten the Seagate desktop adapter which would eliminate the problems you had.

Euhmmmm ... all issues seemed iMac 2012 related ... I don't see how failing to download something has anything to do with a "crappy" ssd enclosure ...

Where did you hear bus powering makes external devices unstable?

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Got my iMac last wednesday;
27" with 3.4 core i7, 8GB ram, 1TB fusion drive, GTX 680MX 2GB.
Still undecided if I want 32 or 16 GB of ram. Will order from crucial in january.
Does anyone know if I will have any issues if I put two sticks of 8 in with the two sticks of four that come with the iMac? Cheers.

darkangel7696

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009

For $50 more at Amazon, you could have purchased the desktop version, which already includes a thunderbolt cable. Plus, it gives you the ability to daisy chain devices.

I am still debating whether to get a 27" iMac /w 3TB fusion drive + one of these desktop adapters pared with a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB or Intel 520 240GB ssd or just get a iMac /w 3TB HD and have an external 1TB little big disk SSD.

I will be spending most of my time in Mac OS X/Linux and Windows for the occasional gaming/blu-ray ripping and encoding. I would be running the little big disk in JBOD instead of raid 0/1. My concern with the little big disk is that it is using last generation ssd drives.

darkangel7696

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Thanks for the link, but it doesn't say anything about that adapter including a Thunderbolt cable.

I stand corrected. However, this is the correct model to buy that comes with an an adapter and has 2 thunderbolt ports. Unfortunately, to get the extra thunderbolt cable you'll have to buy the desktop adapter with a goflex 3.5 hdd paired together.

:(

memory-minus

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012

I stand corrected. However, this is the correct model to buy that comes with an an adapter and has 2 thunderbolt ports. Unfortunately, to get the extra thunderbolt cable you'll have to buy the desktop adapter with a goflex 3.5 hdd paired together.

:(

Well, FWIW, the adapter + 3TB GoFlex drive + Apple FW cable is more than $50 less than the same capacity bundle from Seagate.

MacCruiZe

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
27" 3.4Ghz i7. 8GB Ram, 680MX with 3TB fusion running windows ;)

same as this for me !! Should arrive some time this week... Planning on doing the 3TB Fusion Terminal Hack (for bootcamp)... - others have confirmed it works. I'll give Windows about 700GB ;) rest for :apple:

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I don't have but when I order my 27" it will be the Base.

I didn't really want to upgrade anything. Tight budget, especially now that I decided I'm going to keep my Base Mid-2012 Air. The plan was to sell it once Apple release a new iMac.

3TB or 1TB Fusion Drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.